IGNORED

Dire Mebude signed on loan - CONFIRMED

westonred

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

If there’s an option (still seems tbc on that, city not mentioning, Belgian club say so) it makes more sense then just we have him for 4 months. Raekwan Nelson has been in squads and done extremely well in 21s, would’ve been absolutely comfortable and excited to see him blooded more between now and season end. Likewise the same with Yeboah to get more minutes like he did earlier in the season. Especially as the season could well be fizzling out. Very unlikely they are seen again this season, as an example. 

Option changes things, as I say, and he hopefully ends up being a worldie, but I personally get more joy out of seeing the gradual blooding and development of our own youngsters vs having them ‘signed over’ for more short term reasoning. 

Not a complain or any of this “moan if we sign someone moan if we don’t” tosh that gets thrown around. That’s just me. 

Westerlo wouldn’t have said there’s an option if there’s not. Though it is odd that we haven’t said so. 

29 minutes ago, petehinton said:

One rhat doesnt “block the pathway” for those involved in the periphery of the first team, potentially ready for first team exposure, for want of a non wanky phrase. Becoming overloaded in positions where we have good enough talent in the 21s to blood through. 

If he does have an option as the parent club suggests, that changes things a bit vs just having someone else’s player take Nelson/Yeboahs wide player ‘spot’ for example.  However not exactly sure how he’d fit with how we’ve played here the last month or so, unless they see him becoming a central striker. 

This is my concern too. 

When we brought Manning in it was framed as he's an excellent on the grass coach who will improve players and that he has plenty of experience in coaching youth players. I think lots was said about the pathway. 

I am concerned that the the signing of Twine and Mebude is blocking that pathway. Although they both appear to be very good players. But the likes of Sam Bell and Yeboah and not going to become very good players unless they have that first team exposure. 

Why is a loan signing and potential future transfer being authorised when it goes against what our stated strategy is? Our strategy appears to be all over the place. Especially with what you mentioned about it not fitting with how weve played recently. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 5

25 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I’m interested to see how he fits in. We’ve shifted from a back 4 to back 3 with McCrorie as a wingback. The internet appears to suggest this guys is a winger. We haven’t set up with wingers in any of Mannings games. The right side is probably our strongest area of the pitch with Tanner, McCrorie and Sykes (to a degree Knight also). Unless we plan to mould him into the next Henry?

Hopefully we will revert to a 433. Seems as though he can play both sides , so probably a wide forward 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is my concern too. 

When we brought Manning in it was framed as he's an excellent on the grass coach who will improve players and that he has plenty of experience in coaching youth players. I think lots was said about the pathway. 

I am concerned that the the signing of Twine and Mebude is blocking that pathway. Although they both appear to be very good players. But the likes of Sam Bell and Yeboah and not going to become very good players unless they have that first team exposure. 

Why is a loan signing and potential future transfer being authorised when it goes against what our stated strategy is? Our strategy appears to be all over the place. Especially with what you mentioned about it not fitting with how weve played recently. 

Try before you buy. Decent policy 

15 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Every player is different, rule of thumb is probs around mid 20s though 

I agree it really can take that long and loans,  U23 squads can help that but to suggest this guy is taking minutes from yeboah right now is crazy. Yeboah should be nowhere near the team at least at the moment - Pearson exposed him too fast too soon to make kind of point against the ownership

rumours abound that this has had an impact on his perceived standing and is close to the exit door based on his attitude 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is my concern too. 

Yeboah has 5+ years to make it, don’t think 6 months will make a huge difference personally. 

Sams being getting minutes as well, at RWB so I don’t see how this signing will change that, since moving away from a counter attacking set up he’s not looked nearly as good going forward sadly. 

Im all for having a good pathway and I don’t think think LM would be any different to that. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is my concern too. 

Completely agree. As exciting as this may well where does it leave players like Yeboah?

Just now, Fjmcity said:

I agree it really can take that long and loans,  U23 squads can help that but to suggest this guy is taking minutes from yeboah right now is crazy. Yeboah should be nowhere near the team at least at the moment - Pearson exposed him too fast too soon to make kind of point against the ownership

rumours abound that this has had an impact on his perceived standing and is close to the exit door based on his attitude 

No saying it’s taking exact like for like minutes perse, is more the opportunity & squad involvement for the likes of him & Nelson. 

If there is an option, fine, makes more sense. 

Proof in the pudding will be how many homegrown players we have squads/starting 11s over the next few seasons, I guess. 

37 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Presumably it'll mean even fewer minutes for people like Sam Bell, who could do with as much exposure as possible with our season going nowhere?

I'm all for loan signings with a purpose - the additions of people like Matt Smith and George Saville were huge when we were promoted - but there's got to be a longer-term vision than just seeing us through to a mid-table finish.

All opinions, though, innit.

Another way to look at it is that competition for places will drive Bell and others to improve? If I was a talented young player like Sam Bell I'd be up for fighting for my place in the side. 

Edited by mozo
  • Like 12
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Yeboah has 5+ years to make it, don’t think 6 months will make a huge difference personally. 

Sams being getting minutes as well, at RWB so I don’t see how this signing will change that, since moving away from a counter attacking set up he’s not looked nearly as good going forward sadly. 

Im all for having a good pathway and I don’t think think LM would be any different to that. 

Sam Bell isn't a rwb. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Hopefully we will revert to a 433. Seems as though he can play both sides , so probably a wide forward 

Hope so too..the back 3 sure some in-game switches if McCrorie and Pring fullback to wingback and Naismith in back 3 but overall back to 4-3-3 which IMO is where we should've remained anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

But Tinnion was waxing lyrical over Yeboah too!  

Good luck to the lad, but our strategy is all over the place. The kid looks like a winger .... which is fine except we havent been playing with them.  He also hasnt broken through in Belgium so the question is why? i dont care what he has done at Youth Level. Seb Palmer Holden has scored loads of goals but is on loan and not near the first team. 

we have signed 5 players. 1 is injured, 2 are coming next season, 1 is a work in progress and this chap is unproven. we really need to improve the first 11 now and sadly we havent done it .... again!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

37 minutes ago, petehinton said:

One rhat doesnt “block the pathway” for those involved in the periphery of the first team, potentially ready for first team exposure, for want of a non wanky phrase. Becoming overloaded in positions where we have good enough talent in the 21s to blood through. 

If he does have an option as the parent club suggests, that changes things a bit vs just having someone else’s player take Nelson/Yeboahs wide player ‘spot’ for example.  However not exactly sure how he’d fit with how we’ve played here the last month or so, unless they see him becoming a central striker. 

“Blocking the pathway” is kind of catch 22 or chicken/egg or something like that isn’t it?

Nelson/Yeboah are only going to make it as Championship level players if they’re given games. But at the same time, just giving them more and more games isn’t necessarily going to make them Championship level players. And coaching might make it more likely, but still can’t ever guarantee it. 

I’m all for the academy and like nothing more than seeing players come through it and succeed. But at the same time, I’m wary of just assuming that the academy is a guaranteed production line of Semenyo and Scotts. There will be periods when it isn’t.

And I’m quite comfortable with a strategy that recognises that and is flexible enough to bring in young talent that we can improve too.

As you say, the option makes that work, so I’m hoping that’s correct. 

• Like 10

Has it been confirmed that there is an option by City? Much more happy if this would be the case, but as a rule i was much more happier with Pearson’s opinion on loan signings, particularly if this lad & Twine are both class for the rest of the year without any options, could lead to a bit of an awkward summer.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is my concern too. 

From the times I have watched the U21's I would say we are in a "gap year". The players that have graduated the previous group are either in our first team squad, or playing out their contracts and will probably move on in the summer. 

The next group down are being used to supplement that age group so they are probably a season or two away from being considered.

Players like Nelson and Yeboah have been considered for involved at the next level because they an attribute that sets them apart, but they are still behind to some extent. 

There is some talent coming through, but not necessarily in the areas we need right now, Taine Anderson looks a very good prospect, but we aren't desperate for full/wingbacks, Meerholz isn't going to get a game at DM this season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, TheJudge07 said:

Good luck to the lad, but our strategy is all over the place. The kid looks like a winger .... which is fine except we havent been playing with them.  He also hasnt broken through in Belgium so the question is why? i dont care what he has done at Youth Level. Seb Palmer Holden has scored loads of goals but is on loan and not near the first team. 

we have signed 5 players. 1 is injured, 2 are coming next season, 1 is a work in progress and this chap is unproven. we really need to improve the first 11 now and sadly we havent done it .... again!!!

We can just change formation you know.  Tammy was unproven as well. Caulker was unproven.  Just wait and see eh 

• Like 1