IGNORED

Dire Mebude signed on loan - CONFIRMED

westonred

Probably the type of business we need to be doing. Has all the good upbringing. So you know the ability is there just needs the right environment. We can’t buy proven for the same money we’d sign this lad for. We have a try before buy and a coach that likes to develop. It is an ambitious move for us which makes me think we are moving in the right direction as a club.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mihai said:

:laugh:. We get on loan players from a low rated Belgium team. We are a stronger team, richer and doesn't look good. But who knows, maybe Gurdiola fked up and he is a great talent which doesn't feel good in Belgium and wants back.

To be fair, some very good players haven't made it at Man City, they're a bit good!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Just out of interest.... what new signing in this transfer window would put the "academy first"?

One rhat doesnt “block the pathway” for those involved in the periphery of the first team, potentially ready for first team exposure, for want of a non wanky phrase. Becoming overloaded in positions where we have good enough talent in the 21s to blood through. 

If he does have an option as the parent club suggests, that changes things a bit vs just having someone else’s player take Nelson/Yeboahs wide player ‘spot’ for example.  However not exactly sure how he’d fit with how we’ve played here the last month or so, unless they see him becoming a central striker. 

I love out of the blue (Sky Blue?) signings that no one including Ian knew about...............Out of left field, young, fast and with a Premier League background.   I like it?    Anyway next summer is when our real business will be done, with Tommy leaving a new striker coming in, so enjoy?

Does this mean we may not be sticking with a back 3/5 after all? 

Anyway, young with point to prove and sounds like we have an option to buy, so got to be pleased haven’t we?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mihai said:

:laugh:. We get on loan players from a low rated Belgium team. We are a stronger team, richer and doesn't look good. But who knows, maybe Gurdiola fked up and he is a great talent which doesn't feel good in Belgium and wants back.

He doesn’t have to be Guardiola level good to be a star here. He was good enough to go for 2m euros without a senior game player. I think it is safe to assume the talent is there and up to Manning to get his confidence going

• Like 2

Looks a potentially exciting signing. Good to see we are also casting our net wide in the search for new players. Other clubs sign players not well known that turn out to be good signings. Hopefully it's our turn now. Well done Brian and the recruitment team who I have been moaning about. Hopefully more humble pie to come.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

To be fair, some very good players haven't made it at Man City, they're a bit good!

I saw the option to buy so can be good. Nothing to loose for trying but we needed some experience at this level also. Be played in Belgium league and oh my god I watched some games recently and not Westerlo games, games of the top teams and they don't look like playing football. I mean... look what Anderlecht and Gent did today. We need that experience also, some proven players.

Positives: Man City Youth Record

Negatives: Couldn’t get in mediocre Belgian team.

This is one where if we signed him directly from Man City I think there would be universal acclaim, potential pathway blocker or not. Westerlo being happy to get rid after six months does raise an unwanted question though. Could easily be that he didn’t settle.

With the option in place to allow us to assess if it was just that, or as others have been he’s a bully in a top prem academy but not as hot in the real world, it seems an overall sensible deal. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

One rhat doesnt “block the pathway” for those involved in the periphery of the first team, potentially ready for first team exposure, for want of a non wanky phrase. Becoming overloaded in positions where we have good enough talent in the 21s to blood through. 

If he does have an option as the parent club suggests, that changes things a bit vs just having someone else’s player take Nelson/Yeboahs wide player ‘spot’ for example.  However not exactly sure how he’d fit with how we’ve played here the last month or so, unless they see him becoming a central striker. 

So, in your opinion, do you feel that we shouldn't have signed this player  and who do you think should have been promoted to the first team from the academy whose pathway is now blocked?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t want to stereotype, but across the course of my history supporting Bristol City, pacey afrocaribbean wingers are my absolute favourite. 😍 

Other than that, I have nothing of value to add to this conversation. 

Jah Murray: I agree. 

Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So, in your opinion, do you feel that we shouldn't have signed this player  and who do you think should have been promoted to the first team from the academy whose pathway is now blocked?

Presumably it'll mean even fewer minutes for people like Sam Bell, who could do with as much exposure as possible with our season going nowhere?

I'm all for loan signings with a purpose - the additions of people like Matt Smith and George Saville were huge when we were promoted - but there's got to be a longer-term vision than just seeing us through to a mid-table finish.

All opinions, though, innit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Positives: Man City Youth Record

Negatives: Couldn’t get in mediocre Belgian team.

This is one where if we signed him directly from Man City I think there would be universal acclaim, potential pathway blocker or not. Westerlo being happy to get rid after six months does raise an unwanted question though. Could easily be that he didn’t settle.

With the option in place to allow us to assess if it was just that, or as others have been he’s a bully in a top prem academy but not as hot in the real world, it seems an overall sensible deal. 

Pretty sure he’s been Injured.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Ah right, I looked on Twitter and he's named him and listed his attributes but about 20 minutes after City announced it. 

This? 

https://twitter.com/RealBristolBoy/status/1753168926668624173?t=BtK39TljUFYeIOxBJc4rSQ&s=19

Makes me laugh how he posts things like this as if he knows all about him and has personally watched him 100 times. This is why people think he is in the know. Because he posts things that make it look like he knows something. 

When the reality is after we signed him he went on Wiki. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

From transfer blog….

Dire Mebude (W) - [KVC Westerlo - Bristol City] - Loan

I didn’t expect to be picking up Romaine Mundle vibes so soon after writing about him, yet here we are. Scotland youth international Dire Mebude is another who after an elite academy upbringing left the UK to start their senior career in Belgium.

Leggy and powerful, Mebude is direct and attacks his full-back inside and out. But where does a direct wideman fit into Manning’s Bristol City? Where?