IGNORED

5 wins in 18 games….dreadful!

Shauntaylor85

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I didn’t like LJ at all, but if you gave him this squad tonight he would have got a better tune, Manning is so one dimensional, it’s a worry. Where is the new manager bounce? 

Nigel Pearson was doing a good job under circumstance. What he needed was support from above. 

Agreed and we had a togetherness and an ability to grind out a result. I see none of that with Manning. It’s his possession, behavioural, principle led football that is proving really tough to watch a lot of the time. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

To give some balance here, and as someone who is a Manning-sceptic, I’d just say the following:

- He’s not a Holden clone. Holden had been assistant at this level and had nowhere near the limited managerial experience LM has

- I don’t think sacking LM is on the agenda - for one I don’t think the board would, and for two, what’s the point. Ignoring hyperbole, we aren’t being relegated so I’d give him the season to see if he can adapt to this level, as I really think he’s struggled - he looks like a rabbit in headlights currently

- But with that, would I be spending lots of money to give him “his players” in the summer currently - probably not. His weakness day one (tactics intransigence) is still here now and I have seen no signs it will change. Put bluntly, as at today, I have no confidence he’ll get it right given time

Im not going to hang the guy on today’s result (performance, game management, yes). But there are no signs at 1/3 of a league season in that we’re improving so unless there are signs, it might be that we will be in a position of throwing good money after bad and undoing a lot of the good stabilisation work.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 5
  • Flames 4

5 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Far to simplistic I'm afraid.

Manning has many more experienced players returning from injury, from memory...Vyner, Tanner  Williams, McCrorie, Wells, Conway just returned to bench (I'm sure there's more). Everyone would have expected progression under Nige with all the players back from injury

If winning one game less isn't regression what is?

If this is what was expected then there was no reason to sack Nige, none whatsoever!

That was just off this season, his PPG off the 14 games this season was actually higher than in any other he had at the season at the club.

The sacking of Pearson and appointment of Manning was ludicrous at best, but there's no evidence to back up any thought that we'd be better off if he'd stayed than we are now under Manning.

Ultimately, no matter what the board might say, we're a mid table side, we were under Pearson and we still are now, and that's where we'll finish up this season. Perhaps with some FFP pressure off our backs we may be able to improve that in the summer, who knows 

Edited by JBFC II
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

It’s the same cycle. I can’t ever see us getting to PL under the current board. 

No I can’t. Even our shorts looked shitty white tonight against Leeds. 
I have to say, that second half was mostly dull as ditchwater, side to side and back to Max. Not saying we didn’t try, we did try but looked lost at times

That was the most one-sided 1-0 I’ve seen for years. But for Max and casual Leeds finishing it would have been a massacre. Too many City players with no strength or pace and, tonight, passing to someone in a red shirt was next to impossible 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Ask Preston fans how to compete and beat Leeds, outclassed tonight but another plan A only performance from us under Manning. Sorry but we were a better side under Nige. I didn’t enjoy majority of the LJ era, but even he would get better results in my view. Don’t see this as progressive at all, it’s Sean O’Driscoll mark two! Not good enough! One and a half decent performances, Watford and second half at WHU. That’s it! 

But his highest win rate here in 2 1/2 seasons was 36%  and that would be enough to finish bottom half.....

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To give some balance here, and as someone who is a Manning-sceptic, I’d just say the following:

- He’s not a Holden clone. Holden had been assistant at this level and had nowhere near the limited managerial experience LM has

- I don’t think sacking LM is on the agenda - for one I don’t think the board would, and for two, what’s the point. Ignoring hyperbole, we aren’t being relegated so I’d give him the season to see if he can adapt to this level, as I really think he’s struggled - he looks like a rabbit in headlights currently

- But with that, would I be spending lots of money to give him “his players” in the sumner currently - probably not. His weakness day one (tactics intransigence) is still here now and I have seen no signs it will change. Put bluntly, as at today, I have no confidence he’ll get it right given time

Im not going to hang the guy on today’s result (performance, game management, yes). But there are no signs at 1/3 of a league season in that we’re improving so unless there are signs, it might be that we will be in a position of throwing good money after bad and undoing a lot of the good stabilisation work.

This is where things could get tricky for the club. 17 points in 15 games when you have taken over a STABLE club is not great reading. We could be sat here a week Tuesday with 17 from 17 if we’re not careful and that IS relegation form like it or not.

Personally I’m binning off the next two league games  in terms of expectation after watching us get utterly outclassed and show very little idea tonight but after that with more winnable games on the horizon Manning needs to start showing signs of SOMETHING……….

If he doesn’t and we start heading towards 18th or 19th place and a lesser points total than last season the pressure is going to intensify, again like it or not.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

This is where things could get tricky for the club. 17 points in 15 games when you have taken over a STABLE club is not great reading. We could be sat here a week Tuesday with 17 from 17 if we’re not careful and that IS relegation form like it or not.

Personally I’m binning off the next two league games  in terms of expectation after watching us get utterly outclassed and show very little idea tonight but after that with more winnable games on the horizon Manning needs to start showing signs of SOMETHING……….

If he doesn’t and we start heading towards 18th or 19th place and a lesser points total than last season the pressure is going to intensify, again like it or not.

If we finish 19th JL and BT should go.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

33 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Under Pearson we were averaging 1.29 PPG this season, under Manning we are averaging 1.21.

That's basically one more win over the course of a season under Pearson. So we've not regressed nor have we improved, we've stayed where we were.

We're on to finish with 59/60 points at the end of the season, so absolutely 0 progress from last season as things stand!

Incorrect. Pearson had 14 league games....20 points ...1.42PPG

Fleming 1 game = 3PPG 

Manning 15 Games, 17 Points = 1.13PPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Revitalised Red said:

Do you honestly think the club would have allowed that to happen?

Why should the club have any say in who Sky picks?

Regardless I think people got a bit too excited at the prospect. Nige is a professional - and if he wants another job in football which I think he does, he is hardly going to go around publicly slagging off his former employers. Wait until the auto biography after he retires for the inside scoop!

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, cellist said:

Why should the club have any say in who Sky picks?

Regardless I think people got a bit too excited at the prospect. Nige is a professional - and if he wants another job in football which I think he does, he is hardly going to go around publicly slagging off his former employers. Wait until the auto biography after he retires for the inside scoop!

Not only that, but he'll have signed all sorts of confidentiality agreements that would jeopardise his payoff if he broke them.

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yeah broadly agree - I said pre Coventry that 4 from the next 4 in isolation would be a reasonable haul and I’m not deviating from that. The broader concern was the performance tonight and a bit of me wishes we’d got given the 0-4 we deserved to focus minds.

The issue isn’t in the points haul from difficult games. It’s in a pattern of regression. We have got worse under LM, and as time goes on, we’re going further backwards. I acknowledge teething issues but we’re past that, and although some may like the style better, it’s not producing results or giving confidence it will in future. It’s a big rest of season for him, and the club. Saying give him the summer on a 1:1 success or failure is rolling the dice at best and my personal view is, again, that no way should he be sacked now, but equally I’m not confident in him reshaping the squad in the summer unless there is marked improvement to that point. We’re taking hope as opposed to anything else and I don’t know he’s earnt that faith.

I don’t think they will, but if I was the board I’d be looking at the rest of this season and deciding whether to proceed or bin at that stage as opposed to giving more time on hope at that stage.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah broadly agree - I said pre Coventry that 4 from the next 4 in isolation would be a reasonable haul and I’m not deviating from that. The broader concern was the performance tonight and a bit of me wishes we’d got given the 0-4 we deserved to focus minds.

The issue isn’t in the points haul from difficult games. It’s in a pattern of regression. We have got worse under LM, and as time goes on, we’re going further backwards. I acknowledge teething issues but we’re past that, and although some may like the style better, it’s not producing results or giving confidence it will in future. It’s a big rest of season for him, and the club. Saying give him the summer on a 1:1 success or failure is rolling the dice at best and my personal view is, again, that no way should he be sacked now, but equally I’m not confident in him reshaping the squad in the summer unless there is marked improvement to that point. We’re taking hope as opposed to anything else and I don’t know he’s earnt that faith.

I don’t think they will, but if I was the board I’d be looking at the rest of this season and deciding whether to proceed or bin at that stage as opposed to giving more time on hope at that stage.

I’m looking at the games after Southampton. He’s got to start producing at that point. Not eight wins in a row but a lot better than 3 points in 6 games that’s for sure.

• Like 1

It’s incredibly frustrating that commentary on tonight has reverted to Liam Manning v Nigel Pearson. 

This has nothing to do with which camp you are in. It’s just the observation that the team performed crap tonight (Max O Leary aside) and the weakest performance unfortunately was from the manager. 

That has nothing to do with Nigel Pearson and by calling it out is not harking back to a love affair with the predecessor. This ain’t the time for comparing records or calling out the board, I think it’s the time for calling out ‘Manning you lost us 3 points tonight for setting us up very poorly and not having the nouse to change it’. 

it’s not about harking back to the past, it’s about being concerned for the future now. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

He won’t take us to PL, it will be a matter of time until the next HC is in. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 38MC said:

It’s incredibly frustrating that commentary on tonight has reverted to Liam Manning v Nigel Pearson. 

This has nothing to do with which camp you are in. It’s just the observation that the team performed crap tonight (Max O Leary aside) and the weakest performance unfortunately was from the manager. 

That has nothing to do with Nigel Pearson and by calling it out is not harking back to a love affair with the predecessor. This ain’t the time for comparing records or calling out the board, I think it’s the time for calling out ‘Manning you lost us 3 points tonight for setting us up very poorly and not having the nouse to change it’. 

it’s not about harking back to the past, it’s about being concerned for the future now. 

100% agree. I hate the ppg Pearson/Manning comparisons but the board did bring it in themselves. As you rightly say, it’s about whether Liam was/is good enough and the conversation needs to be around that.

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

If you think since Cardiff away this has improved then good luck to you. 

Yep, literally could write down his plan on a scrap piece of paper before every game. Out of his depth. 

I’m afraid it’s true. My OH and I predicted exactly who he’s being in and when. If you’re not performing you have to do more than simply change personnel when it’s not working.  
  When you have your A team playing bringing on your B team subs and taking off the one player who is likely to score in Wells, we were never going to win. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 38MC said:

Bang on. I've quoted this previously. It isn't about Nige or Liam loving. It's what the board said when making the change that irritates me claiming that we were top end challengers this season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

100% agree. I hate the ppg Pearson/Manning comparisons but the board did bring it in themselves. As you rightly say, it’s about whether Liam was/is good enough and the conversation needs to be around that.

Oh I agree, it’s the tribalism that’s stifling the ability to listen. Certain posters are living or dying by the sword and being dismissive of what should be to all a really concerning home performance where we were utterly outplayed and our reaction was to change personnel and not approach. That to me is a really concerning sign. 

• Like 5

Manning's in a sticky situation now. We've got a punishing schedule, fatigued players, low confidence, supporters turning....

What does he do? He's got to rotate players.

He needs Twine and Sykes to come in and hit top form or some other big twist of fate.

🫣

• Like 2