IGNORED

FBC POD - Leeds Utd. [H] the verdict .... they were good, we weren't!!!

headhunter

4 hours ago, TomSutton said:

Really enjoyed coming on, interesting debate and I think a fair yet not reactionary view on the result last night. A bit of a free hit on Wednesday however, need to address the scoring issue hope mebude makes a difference as he adds a different physical profile to TC or NW and reminds me of Gatlin O’Donkor who Manning worked with at Oxford. 

I dislike a game being described as a free hit, especially when our head coach is calling it that! I don't likenthat attitude. 

Based on how our season has gone so far our season now rests upon this game really. If we lose, season over. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Whilst I haven’t listened to the POD I can actually understand this. 

I don’t believe Conway will fulfill his potential here. We currently are not playing to his strengths; both style and set up. As and when he departs, hopefully he selects the right club that will suit him, and it’ll see him go up a number of levels. Fingers crossed we get top dollar though. 

Under Pearson we played to his strengths. But thats what Pearson did. He played to our strengths. 

In Mannings first weeks here he commented something like Tommy would have to adjust because from now on he'd be getting different chances to what he is used to. I was unsure about that then and I'm even more unsure about that now. 

Tommy looks incredibly frustrated on the pitch so imo unless something dramatic changes, he's going to leave. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I'm sorry, but saying we have to compare whats happening now to the same point after Pearson first took over is absolute garbage. A staggeringly ignorant comment.

Anyone with any sort memory should know that Pearson took over an absolute train wreck, Liam Manning took over a perfectly decent, wholly committed, mid table team. 

That is either mindlessly stupid or just pure gaslighting.

Just got to this point in the pod.

image.thumb.png.20adf619fa89279b293803c2d8f0e85e.png

Ian has gone so all-in on Manning to prove why he was anti-Nige, he’s lost all objectivity.

His one-game knee-jerk reactions on players like Dickie and then suggesting Campbell-Slowey is borderline “sectioning” rationale.

The “give him a game” mantra (Nelson, etc) is embarrassing in terms of the reasons he gives.  It has no basis other than “change something in the hope it works”.

Thought it was Donald Trump-Esque performance from Ian.  ITK gone to his head.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I dislike a game being described as a free hit, especially when our head coach is calling it that! I don't likenthat attitude. 

Based on how our season has gone so far our season now rests upon this game really. If we lose, season over. 

Got to say LM saying “free hit” is crass.  Goes hand in hand with (paraphrased) “oh no, we’ve beaten West Ham, that means we’ve got another game” comment.

Rod Dickie “I’d rather be playing games”. - good lad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Just got to this point in the pod.

image.thumb.png.20adf619fa89279b293803c2d8f0e85e.png

Ian has gone so all-in on Manning to prove why he was anti-Nige, he’s lost all objectivity.

His one-game knee-jerk reactions on players like Dickie and then suggesting Campbell-Slowey is borderline “sectioning” rationale.

The “give him a game” mantra (Nelson, etc) is embarrassing in terms of the reasons he gives.  It has no basis other than “change something in the hope it works”.

Thought it was Donald Trump-Esque performance from Ian.  ITK gone to his head.

Im just listening now. He said we played 4231, we didn't did we? I'm pretty sure I saw us play a 3421 of sorts? 

• Like 3

Just now, Davefevs said:

Got to say LM saying “free hit” is crass.  Goes hand in hand with (paraphrased) “oh no, we’ve beaten West Ham, that means we’ve got another game” comment.

Rod Dickie “I’d rather be playing games”. - good lad.

It’s one of the reasons why I wouldn’t mind hearing from Hogg. I heard him do the media when Manning was leaving Oxford and he came over quite well. I don’t think Liam is a natural at the media game (which isn’t inherently a bad thing) and reverts to buzzwords or missteps in how he says things which naturally can come across badly - we’ve had the “emotion” example recently and this is another one. It’s almost like he’s trying too hard to be “bland” and find the book phrase he needs. If he’s not great at it, maybe take that pressure off him on odd occasions?

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Im just listening now. He said we played 4231, we didn't did we? I'm pretty sure I saw us play a 3421 of sorts? 

We did play 3-4–2-1. 

Tanner-Vyner-Dickie

McCrorie-James-Williams-Pring

Knight-Conway

Wells

I can see how it might have been viewed as a 5-2-2-1 or 4-3-2-1 as McCrorie and Pring were pushed to varying extents but I can’t figure out how we could have been seen to play 4231. For a start, who were the 3?!?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s one of the reasons why I wouldn’t mind hearing from Hogg. I heard him do the media when Manning was leaving Oxford and he came over quite well. I don’t think Liam is a natural at the media game (which isn’t inherently a bad thing) and reverts to buzzwords or missteps in how he says things which naturally can come across badly - we’ve had the “emotion” example recently and this is another one. It’s almost like he’s trying too hard to be “bland” and find the book phrase he needs. If he’s not great at it, maybe take that pressure off him on odd occasions?

Been asking for Hogg for weeks.  It’s why Nige used Curtis, just breaks up the monotony of Q&As.  Curtis completely different, “quality”, “smashing”, he’s like Jim Bowen on happy pills.  I’d like to get a feel for Hoggy.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Been asking for Hogg for weeks.  It’s why Nige used Curtis, just breaks up the monotony of Q&As.  Curtis completely different, “quality”, “smashing”, he’s like Jim Bowen on happy pills.  I’d like to get a feel for Hoggy.

A part of me thinks it’s a deliberate strategy to “push” Liam front and centre. No problem with that early days but three months in it does seem a bit odd. Because Liam is very formulaic, even the same messages delivered through a slightly different voice/interpretation could really help. Or as a minimum couldn’t hurt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

We need to get in the habit of winning league games.

At current PPG we'll struggle to reach last season's points tally which points towards a 14th - 17th final placing 

We don’t have to do that next week. Forest is the priority for me. Whether we finish 12th or 15th isn’t that relevant 

• Hmmm 1

Lot of text comments pinning hopes on Mebude, based on YouTube and Ian’s anatomical description.

@headhunter well said re Ian’s horse shit about “his players”.  Ian is clutching big time.  He is Tins stooge is t he?

Great pod in many ways, wish I’d been on.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@TomSutton just seen you’re on here.

Re Raekwon, he’s played right forward / wing in u21s too, even if he’s played off the left for 18s.

Ah I did think he had played there I know Henry Kasakove plays on the right for the 18s with Bak through the middle my confusion was the point of him at Wing back this is a guy who has had rare opportunities in the 21s on the wing let alone defending I don’t even believe he’s on a pro yet though I’m not sure. Campbell slowery is again another one who plays 18s and is some way off playing them in a game against a nearly full strength prem team like suggested is murder to both their development and confidence. If we’re giving youth players the opportunity to play (which I don’t think we will this season) it must be. Hutton, Backwell, Hewett 

@headhunter the pod’s review of the match epitomised the actual match last night.  Bristol City (Ian) outclassed by the sharp, intense, Leeds (The Sutton’s) who appeared to have an extra man on the pitch, with only City’s keeper (Mark) holding his head up.  Referee Pottier had a good game too.

🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@TomSutton if you think he’s shoe-Horning players into the LF position, where do you see Twine playing?  There?  Or as a central-10?

Smacks of indecision to me…and stubbornness too!

In an ideal world could see Mebude playing either LF with Twine off the right. That said, against Watford twine played in a central 10 mainly first half. With that it allows knight to play in his preferred position as an 8 much like brownhill did for us in that box to box role that Pearson favoured him in. I understand Manning loves how he initiates the press with Tommy however, loosing that extra body from the centre of the pitch with and without the ball places more stress on James and Williams which I feel is why the can look over exposed at times

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Your man Ian Gay pivoting into the clubs official cheerleader and excuse maker is surely one of the stranger turn of events from this season. 

Judging by his appearances on the radio over the years he has absolutely hammered every manager in my lifetime until now.

he's a professional* agitator.

*in the loosest terms

5 minutes ago, TomSutton said:

In an ideal world could see Mebude playing either LF with Twine off the right. That said, against Watford twine played in a central 10 mainly first half. With that it allows knight to play in his preferred position as an 8 much like brownhill did for us in that box to box role that Pearson favoured him in. I understand Manning loves how he initiates the press with Tommy however, loosing that extra body from the centre of the pitch with and without the ball places more stress on James and Williams which I feel is why the can look over exposed at times

Lot of faith in Mebude.

Twine played “half-left” v Watford not central.  Might’ve drifted in on occasions admittedly.

It is clear to me that Manning is struggling to find a cohesive way of fitting players in with a back three.

And as your dad said - why did we change?  Overreaction to the Millwall, Brum, Preston games imho.

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Ian Gay "I know we'll be bringing in a no 9 and a no 10" 

We'll yes you know because Tinnion bloody told us all last night on Radio Bristol. 

For some bizarre reason it appears that Brian Tinnion is the person feeding (directly or indirectly) Ian Gay.  In what parallel universe did someone think that would be sensible? 🤣🤣🤣

It is clear it’s Tins in some way.

46 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

A valid point. Supposed from the clubs perspective it’s seen as an opportunity to cause an upset R.E West Ham rather than a free hit. The main issue is the league form especially the creation and clinical nature of which we create opportunities to score which since Boxing Day have been lacklustre when LM first came in we were a free scoring team but with an every growing predictable nature of how we attack teams are placing their centre backs on the cover to stop our lofted ball to Knight over the top from typically ZV or RM. As an intuitive coach he needs to come up to solutions to the game ahead of him rather than a blanket approach to all fixtures which we have adopted in recent matches of not changing how we play. I suppose in some ways that can be seen as bravery (that he bangs on about) that what we are doing is the correct way however, I think it shows a bit of naivety and lack of regard for the oppositions quality. In summary no game really is a free hit but this cup game is not priority over the league and as a collective group we have to become more adaptable.

Re injuries.  Atkinson and Naismith trained Thursday (source: LM) but Naismith in particular doing “certain parts” of training.  There’s a word he used that I can’t remember at this point, that means not dull training.  Re Big Rob, he said the plan was u21s first.  Sykes close for Boro not Forest was what I think he said.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Your man Ian Gay pivoting into the clubs official cheerleader and excuse maker is surely one of the stranger turn of events from this season. 

Judging by his appearances on the radio over the years he has absolutely hammered every manager in my lifetime until now.

I made a comment on here once back when they did the Liam Manning appointed pod. My comment was along the lines of they were that certain people on the pod would in the future go to any lengths to defend Manning because of their dislike for Nige. It was obvious it was always going to go that way. 

It's interesting to see the direction Ian is going in considering as you say he's hammered every other manager. He put all his money on Manning being a successful. Ian is one of those people that can never ever be wrong and can very rarely admit to being wrong. So he has to continue supporting Manning. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

We don’t have to do that next week. Forest is the priority for me. Whether we finish 12th or 15th isn’t that relevant 

Clearly a Cup run can be useful and enjoyable and we should aim to get as far as we can, but the sign of progress is snapped if we finish 15th or below. 14th would be disappointing.

Top 10 even 10th would be progress of sorts. Top half of any kind would be the first time in a while.

Likewise if we get less points, PPG is already down notably from the position inherited.

About 0.26 give or take.

Need another 8 or 9 League wins between now and end of the season just to claw back to parity. (Or 25-26 pts Idk).

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Lot of faith in Mebude.

Twine played “half-left” v Watford not central.  Might’ve drifted in on occasions admittedly.

It is clear to me that Manning is struggling to find a cohesive way of fitting players in with a back three.

And as your dad said - why did we change?  Overreaction to the Millwall, Brum, Preston games imho.

For some bizarre reason it appears that Brian Tinnion is the person feeding (directly or indirectly) Ian Gay.  In what parallel universe did someone think that would be sensible? 🤣🤣🤣

It is clear it’s Tins in some way.

Good point, my apologies appeared he was playing more central than maybe he was. Mebude is a differential player to me in the fact he’s a different physical profile to TC or NW. I do wonder if Sykes could fit into that 10 role where he had experience for Oxford if I remember correctly he was signed to challenge Weimann for that 10 spot due to his versatile nature he can play a range of positions. I’m a big Sykes fan although I don’t think he’s a brilliant technical footballer rarely dribbling past a full back 1v1 he scores goals and is effective. With that being said with a pre season and “important” attacking signings supposedly being made do we change shape slightly I feel we are becoming ever predictable in our combination play and rotation in midfield. At least Mebude with his raw pace and power offers a real out ball but the temptation then would be to continually use this like we did with Famara and play off second balls. What I don’t understand is when LM first came in we showed some brilliant triangle rotations which allowed us to dictate the tempo either by allowing us to reset or for a one-touch pass to Sykes or Pring where has this gone? We play too wide now and without Twine who’s a quality technician in between the lines it means we can rarely play through teams having to chip to get behind them and square back across