IGNORED

Too Much Negativity

gibbo7

The Leeds point is spot on, but the general direction of travel is the worry.

There are some absolute maniacs on here (surprisingly quiet about Max last night though).

I can maintain perspective about last night because of the opposition but it can’t be the case against non parachute payment sides.

• Like 17

Whilst I generally agree with you, what concerns me last night is the way we setup and played. Stinks of naivety that LM felt we could go out and try and play the same way against a very good Leeds side. After about 10-15 mins and that Tanner slip we looked devoid of confidence and there was no plan B.

Leeds are very good, I won’t deny that and some teams we just won’t beat, but that was a dreadful performance.

• Like 2

I'm not overly negative. Been here too many times before. But before a 'give Liam time' bandwagon rolls any further let's not forget that that's what the LJ apologists said month after month, until the club finally showed him the door. Giving LJ time was never the answer - given time he couldn't hold down a job at Fleetwood.

When Pearson was here - whatever you thought of him - he undeniably had experience of the level of football we aspire to play at, and of getting teams there. Liam Manning has a reputation as a good young coach and what else? A season at MK Dons where he was beaten to promotion by a team of cloggers managed by Gareth Ainsworth.

If Manning can't demonstrate a bit more nous in the league than in the recent run of matches then I'd be asking questions at the end of this season, not waiting. That said, good luck to him and I hope he turns out to be a good 'un. Work to do though, for all that Leeds are a class above last night was pitiful.

• Like 12
  • Flames 2

Leeds played a high pressing front foot game last night, gave our players no time on the ball, counter attacked with ferocity and, in the main, also lacked quality in the final third. They should have been over the hill and far away by half time. They played the way we aspire to well...but also lacked quality in front of goal. (Take note SL!)

MoL had a good game and kept the scoreline respectable.

Leeds took one of the chances they had and we didn't. Worryingly, we have become so used to limited movement (possibly due to rigidity of formation) our players often receive the ball facing the wrong way and have to turn (last night into danger)...Leeds were playing incisive balls for players to run onto generating freedom of movement.....all we could do was chase shadows.  We are too often static....in attack.....at throw ins......nobody is moving into space...this limits options, Kills flow and results in a difficulty moving between the thirds. There are times we get it right (and it flows extremely well) but then we lack either quality or ruthlessness to capitalise on the chance. 

PPG is worrying. We haven't won a league game in 2024 yet and we saw last night how fragile the mental resilience is. Heads went down after Leeds scored...calmness went to hell in a hand cart.....rash challenges (we don't need suspended players exacerbating the selection issues)

Some may label this negativity. I call it realism. We are most likely safe this season but have to really step up for next otherwise we may find ourselves going the wrong way in the league ladder. 

No taking away the thirst that Leeds showed for the win. They deserved it. Would have liked us to have at least represented ourselves well. 

Edited by MelksRed
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

Leeds took one of the chances they had and we didn't. Worryingly, we have become so used to limited movement (rigidity of formation) our players often receive the ball facing the wrong way and have to turn...

A very good point - and was well illustrated when we had those two shooting chances in their half towards the end of the first half only to have both blocked by our own players, the last by the hapless McCrorie. 

Yeah you’re right to be fair, usually football fans are absolutely buzzing at their team taking three points from six games. Just the moaners on OTIB that thinks that’s crap.

Leeds being better than us and beating us is fine and completely understandable. That performance however was pathetic.

If that’s all we can muster against the parachute payment teams then I better make sure I don’t bother going to the games against Southampton and Leicester that we still have left to play.

• Like 1

Sadly we are bang in trouble and the 11 has not been sufficiently reinforced in January. This formation doesnt work and it seems LM can only play one way. Hard to see where our next point comes from.... QPR at home becomes a massive game.  Apart from tippy tappy football we have regressed as proven by the results. This is all fully on the board. Grass is not always greener....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

But we did compete with them in October. Yesterday we just rolled over for our bellies to be tickled. That's why so much negativity. We are regressing.

Not defending last nights performance but I think you will find Leeds we’re in a different place then , they have got better and better since the season has gone on and we have played them right in the middle of them being  in an extremely rich vein of form - still no excuse for last nights poor performance as I said .

• Like 1

We were very poor for me and scoreline flatters us. Having said that Leeds are a very good side and for me look 10x better than the Sheffield United side that got automatics last season. I just think we could’ve used the ball a lot better when we had it, instead we gave it away lot with a lot of it under no pressure

20 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

Why should we be in awe of Leeds and accept they are better?  That’s exactly the type of mindset that’s held this club back for the last 40 years 

This. I said in the match thread people are quick to give the team a pass when playing a team like Leeds as we can’t expect to compete with teams like that. Something Rotherham, Preston and Stoke have done by the way.

Yet the same people will say when playing lesser teams we can’t expect to beat them as there’s two teams in the pitch with one looking to stop you from winning. 

Well we didn’t try stop Leeds winning at all last night. And was actually quite worrying LM didn’t even try. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

Can't wait for defeats at forest, boro and Southampton on here. How close will we be to the bottom 6 by then? 

The club is a cesspit at the moment and can't imagine it's a nice place to work. 

?? Anyone would think we were in the relegation zone and out of the FA cup. It’s a disappointing result but comments like this are so OTT.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, gibbo7 said:

Following last nights game the level of negativity is outrageous.

Any City fan there just needs to accept that Leeds are just a much better team than us and have been both home and away.

They are a team that are full of players worth millions of pounds and as much as I hate to say it as Leeds is definitely one of my most disliked clubs last night they were outstanding in the press and one of the quickest teams all over the pitch I ever remember seeing.

Patrick Bamford is exactly the type of forward we need.  Clever movement, link up and also not slow.

I know our club called us top 6 squad, and this might be where the upset is coming from, but there are some teams and budgets that when the opposition is on their game in this league (which Leeds were), we simply shouldn’t be able to compete.

I am still more than happy to give Manning the time he needs and see what he can do with the lad Medube and Twine in the team.  Sykes on the counter and I for one will still be right behind the lads come Wednesday.

There was a real lack of belief in the players tonight and it’s the first time they for me looked tired.

on to the next one.

Beat Forest Wednesday.

Sykes & Twine comes back.

The new winger looks a world beater.

We win 2 on the bounce

Can’t wait for everyone to then come back on here and say we are negative , crap football etc..

I have been watching for 45 years and we are in the ‘good years’.

Give Liam a chance it feels like we are building something.

The growing attendance and away followings say it can’t all be bad.

If we maybe 3 quality players to the squad in the summer which is already competitive then we have a chance of a top 6

• Like 3
  • Haha 9
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, 95red said:

Ok Brian 

Wow, must have taken you ages to come up with such a well thought out and witty reply

40 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

Why should we be in awe of Leeds and accept they are better?  That’s exactly the type of mindset that’s held this club back for the last 40 years 

Thinks it's more on reflection after a defeat, the acceptance that we played a team worth 200+m more than ours

31 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

But we did compete with them in October. Yesterday we just rolled over for our bellies to be tickled. That's why so much negativity. We are regressing.

Leeds were poor early in the season, have now just won 5 on the bounce and up to 2nd

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Beat Forest Wednesday.

We win 2 on the bounce

Can’t wait for everyone to then come back on here and say we are negative , crap football etc..

If we maybe 3 quality players to the squad in the summer which is already competitive then we have a chance of a top 6

That’s the spirit 

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1

Leeds were exceptionally quick, runners all over the place, intensity of the press was just too much. Summerville looked every inch the prem player he so clearly is. It was a difficult watch. On the other thread some morons said Leeds were "average". Archie Gray, Gnonto, Bamford, Rodon, so very far from average. 

I don't think there's a single player in our team would get into the Leeds starting line up. That's the reality of where we are, of the money, parachute payments, the lot. The gulf is enormous. 

This year the relegated teams will go up, the promoted teams will go down. Bridging that gap is very difficult from mid to low table.

Let's continue to build, look forwards, avoid the emotional reaction. I'm not looking forward to Southampton at home, they are on an even hotter streak. It's the hope that kills you. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Beat Forest Wednesday.

We win 2 on the bounce

I take it your last paragraph is aimed at last summer.

• Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Beat Forest Wednesday.

We win 2 on the bounce

What you smoking must be good stuff 

55 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm not overly negative. Been here too many times before. But before a 'give Liam time' bandwagon rolls any further let's not forget that that's what the LJ apologists said month after month, until the club finally showed him the door. Giving LJ time was never the answer - given time he couldn't hold down a job at Fleetwood.

When Pearson was here - whatever you thought of him - he undeniably had experience of the level of football we aspire to play at, and of getting teams there. Liam Manning has a reputation as a good young coach and what else? A season at MK Dons where he was beaten to promotion by a team of cloggers managed by Gareth Ainsworth.

If Manning can't demonstrate a bit more nous in the league than in the recent run of matches then I'd be asking questions at the end of this season, not waiting. That said, good luck to him and I hope he turns out to be a good 'un. Work to do though, for all that Leeds are a class above last night was pitiful.

A good post and I generally agree with you but I think they will back Manning regardless now. He’s their man and having made the decision they did they certainly won’t admit failure.

Remember LJ (the previous version) took us on our worst run in our history and they still stuck by him with most wanting him out. I could see us flirting with and maybe even achieving relegation and they would still back him. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 3

I think the strange thing is, anyone who’s critical either needs to “accept other teams are better than us” or “oh well show me where it was better under Pearson / cult of Nige” etc etc. Yesterday was absolutely terrible, regardless of opposition, but obviously those games can happen where it’s just one of those nights.

West Ham result was great, wonderful. But that’s the beauty of the FA Cup, or any cup competition really, in that these things can happen. It also doesn’t stack up against the “well Leeds are much better than us what do you expect” rebuttal, if these people also say we played so well against West Ham & Forest

The league has to be our bread and butter, and not really getting any wins on the board without penalties since November is v poor (or in 17 games, however you want to frame it), however you spin it and whatever you feel about anything to do with the club/management. 

The irony that Manning was brought in to “push us to the top 6” according to the powers that be, yet Tinnion is on radio Bristol last night repeatedly saying January window was for the future in mind, and they’re already looking at players for the summer is delicious, given the position we’re in really. Also didn’t sound too convinced about Twine staying. Was a pretty poor blow to the fanbase imo, and yet another example of the absolutely horrific communication and clarity to fans we get out of this lot.  

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 5
  • Flames 4

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

That was utter crap. Manning can take full responsibility for it! 

If he gets hammered for it GOOD! 

A performance like that is not justifiable under any circumstances!

In any walk of life - a teams performance will normal mirror the behaviours of the leader of that group 

Manning is dull, boring, and comes across emotionless 

…..it’s no suprise the players are now the same 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

34 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Beat Forest Wednesday.

We win 2 on the bounce

Fair play I wish I had some of the drugs you take