IGNORED

Too Much Negativity

gibbo7

Sorry but I only see positivity. Last night Leeds were by far the better team and that’s a fact that cannot be changed. I thought we looked tired maybe and Leeds high press and energy and quality meant we were never really in the game. 

Too much knee-jerk reaction once again. Please see the bigger picture. Lansdown’s ridiculous top 6 belief aside we are unrecognisable as a team compared to under Nige. Nige also did a great job of turning around what was a sinking ship and getting us to a level of competence, laying the foundation to pass on the baton to a young head coach like LM with a front foot philosophy but with a squad used to ‘handbrake’ football. To change from one to another can’t be done overnight but signs are good and signings also suggest much promise. Loving what I see on the whole and see an upward trajectory for sure. Leeds had everything we aspire to be and that was the difference. We weren’t poor - Leeds were just far, far better! Let’s hope that we take that on the chin and continue to move forward.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

To be fair - point taken. My frustrations are more at the ***** at the top and their complete incompetence. 

Best of luck to Manning - seems a likeable guy and I hope he turns out to be the coach the club thinks he could be. I just don’t see it, and I don’t think a lot of people can either 

People are voting with their feet and attendances will only continue to drop. Be interesting to see what the season ticket sales will be like next season 

I think season tickets will hold their own their own but how many actually attend is another matter, will be interesting to see what signings are made to go along with the January singings, i definitely don't expect Manning to get the same support from the fans as NP did and if we're no further forward by this time next year i's imagine the mood from the terraces will be pretty toxic

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, gibbo7 said:

Following last nights game the level of negativity is outrageous.

Any City fan there just needs to accept that Leeds are just a much better team than us and have been both home and away.

There was a real lack of belief in the players tonight and it’s the first time they for me looked tired.

I think outrageous a little over the top.  You’re sort of saying two different things. First we lost, because Leeds were a much better team, then because we didn’t have enough belief and looked tired. 

It’s the latter comment of yours that has produced the response it has. I don’t think it’s being negative when people feel the team didn’t compete and/or saying something wrong with how we played.

When we’ve seen the same team play like they did against Coventry, but then play like they did last night, then it’s petty certain people won’t react positively.

It’s the performance not the outcome.  

Edited by JP Hampton

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

The league has to be our bread and butter, and not really getting any wins on the board without penalties since November is v poor (or in 17 games, however you want to frame it), however you spin it and whatever you feel about anything to do with the club/management. 

Was only making that point the other day.  It’s skewed results against our usual lack of pens.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gibbo7 said:

I know our club called us top 6 squad, and this might be where the upset is coming from

That, and getting rid of a popular manager has handed LM a poison chalice unfortunately.  I do feel that for a lot of posters - not all - that is colouring things.

LM isn't perfect and has undoubtedly made mistakes.  It's expected and quite correct that his selections and tactics are debated and challenged.  But following City for 34+ years I cannot recall the same level of scrutiny that LM been subject to being given to any other manager.

In the same way that we aren't able to afford the finished article in players, we aren't going to get the finished article in a manager either.  And even if we could afford them, they wouldn't work within the more realistic financial constraints the club now want to operate.  We are very lucky to get Pearson, which was probably as much to do with where he was in life as anything else.

• Like 3

Leeds also thrashed us 2-1 at their place earlier in the season. We barely got a kick at Leicester in a 1-0 defeat. We were pretty dire against Brum at home. And at home to Preston on the first day. It's not just now, it was then.  Yes. we were poor last night and, yes, I was swearing a lot but we've generally been ok in recent weeks. And we played at Cov three days before and Leeds had a free week. Believe it or not, that does make a difference, especially against a very good side, who were much better than Forest as I thought they would be.  

I've watched City for 53 years. I won't be giving up until someone burns me. You take the rough with the even rougher, and sometimes the smooth. Calm down. Support. Be patient. It's the only way, I'm afraid. Not very modern, but the only way when you think about it. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

I've watched City for 53 years. I won't be giving up until someone burns me. You take the rough with the even rougher, and sometimes the smooth. Calm down. Support. Be patient. It's the only way, I'm afraid. Not very modern, but the only way when you think about it. 

It's football innit? 

I don't think, trying to be objective, this was as bad as the Millwall game, or the Stoke game, or the Preston game, or Birmingham (h). In the file marked 'stinkers', this one is cauliflower soup. It's not rotting animal under the floor boards putrid death stench. That was Millwall. 

Edited by pj76

2 hours ago, redsocks said:

After last night it goes to show how far we are behind in this league.as I have always said lansdown is quite happy to be a average championship side.all the Bull shit from jl saying we can be top six he's living on another planet.we are what we are.

last night showed us one thing, how far behind the relegated clubs we are if we don’t turn up.

It is not showing us where we are against the other 18-20 clubs.  We shouldn’t be using last night to play down where we could be…and that is in the mix with the other “average” clubs, many of whom really aren’t much better, not enough so that with a good set-up and identity we couldn’t give it a go.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

That, and getting rid of a popular manager has handed LM a poison chalice unfortunately.  I do feel that for a lot of posters - not all - that is colouring things.

LM isn't perfect and has undoubtedly made mistakes.  It's expected and quite correct that his selections and tactics are debated and challenged.  But following City for 34+ years I cannot recall the same level of scrutiny that LM been subject to being given to any other manager.

In the same way that we aren't able to afford the finished article in players, we aren't going to get the finished article in a manager either.  And even if we could afford them, they wouldn't work within the more realistic financial constraints the club now want to operate.  We are very lucky to get Pearson, which was probably as much to do with where he was in life as anything else.

We are in an era where access to watching City extends to more than those who rock up at AG or a smaller number who travel away.  We are in an era of extreme opinion (both ways) via social media.

I rarely commented on away games until covid when they were televised, and then braving vpn airlines.

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

In regards to you thinking that Manning is dull, boring, and comes across emotionless" it doesn't seem to have done Southampton and Ipswich any harm having similar managers with the the same temperament, give the guy a chance  

Russell Martin is nothing like Manning in any way, save for age group.  He’s upbeat, passionate and extremely confident (bordering on cocky). To compare him with Manning is laughable.   

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We are in an era where access to watching City extends to more than those who rock up at AG or a smaller number who travel away.  We are in an era of extreme opinion (both ways) via social media.

I rarely commented on away games until covid when they were televised, and then braving vpn airlines.

Agree.  Especially, the social media and living in echo chambers.  I guess that why OTIB seems confrontational with some posters.  (Never with yourself or Silvano).

We had social media and Robins TV  with Pearson and it didn't feel quite a full on though or focussed on Nige's management style or tactics.   Sure he got some stick, but not same scrutiny.  Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but the usual reactionary responses were about which players were shit and scapegoated for latest poor performance rather than picking apart Pearson's failings.  

Maybe people were more understanding given the club were in a state?  Which leads me back to the overriding feeling that LM's been given a hospital pass by the hierarchy (top six, front foot football, replacing a popular manager etc) so he is expected to have all the answers from day 1 by some. 

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

Leeds also thrashed us 2-1 at their place earlier in the season. We barely got a kick at Leicester in a 1-0 defeat. We were pretty dire against Brum at home. And at home to Preston on the first day. It's not just now, it was then.  Yes. we were poor last night and, yes, I was swearing a lot but we've generally been ok in recent weeks. And we played at Cov three days before and Leeds had a free week. Believe it or not, that does make a difference, especially against a very good side, who were much better than Forest as I thought they would be.  

I guess you've never played football yourself. Preston at H was played in a howling gale. Man City would have struggled in that. Please let's have some context. It was a poor match, but mot a dire performance. 

Edited by Sir Geoff
Extra text
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cheers Drive said:

Last night was the most one sided 1 nil you will ever see. We had the perfect storm of a quality opposition that attacked with real pace and a number of players just off their game. The thing that stood out for me was the amount of pressure we added to that with poor passing and unforced errors.

Talk of playoffs and relegation are both a little far fetched but I'll always have the hope of one and fear of the other. The January window shows for me the plans are about next year. I am weirdly optimistic about next season but I've been there before many many times!

Like you many many many times 

20 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Agree.  Especially, the social media and living in echo chambers.  I guess that why OTIB seems confrontational with some posters.  (Never with yourself or Silvano).

We had social media and Robins TV  with Pearson and it didn't feel quite a full on though or focussed on Nige's management style or tactics.   Sure he got some stick, but not same scrutiny.  Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but the usual reactionary responses were about which players were shit and scapegoated for latest poor performance rather than picking apart Pearson's failings.  

Maybe people were more understanding given the club were in a state?  Which leads me back to the overriding feeling that LM's been given a hospital pass by the hierarchy (top six, front foot football, replacing a popular manager etc) so he is expected to have all the answers from day 1 by some. 

I think the problem for LM was his introduction on the back of a questionable way of sacking NP. I blame the club for any particular scrutiny he’ll come under, because they set that up, by basically saying this manager (LM) will take us to where NP couldn’t. 

• Like 3

Leeds will be very disappointed that they didn't score 3 or 4. Because that was a 3 ir 4 niler all day long. I can't even give us any credit for keeping the scoreline down as it was Leeds poor finishing that kept it down. 

I can accept when a team is better than us. But what I can't accept is us not turning up. Us not giving it a go. Us not putting in a shift. 

Against Leicester and Leeds away we were beaten by the better team but we put a shift in. Last night we didn't. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Graham76 said:

Why should we be in awe of Leeds and accept they are better?  That’s exactly the type of mindset that’s held this club back for the last 40 years 

Facts are stubborn things. From goals scored and conceded to value of squad and average crowds - let alone parachute payments, they outgun up in most departments. Hopefully we can build to close the gap but our ambition has to be informed by the fact that there IS a gap  whether we like it or not.

8 minutes ago, mason said:

I`ve also watched City for close on 60yrs now and attended games in all 4 divisions, now run by what I feel are poor uninterested leaders who really should be pushing us on by now rather than going around and around.

Fair play to those who hope for better in the next window etc or next manager change needed higher up than that for me anyway.

We`ve been in the doldrums for far too long

We’ve been in the Championship for the last nine seasons though. As I’ve said before, that compares extremely favourably with our 130-odd year history. And 15 of the last 17. I accept your point if the doldrums are anything but the PL. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I guess you've never played football yourself. Preston at H was played in a howling gale. Man City would have struggled in that. Please let's have some context. It was a poor match, but mot a dire performance. 

a) you’ve guessed wrong b) Preston managed to play some incisive football in the second half. They were very good, in fact. It was possible to play. We were poor and fortunate to get a point. 

2 hours ago, firstdivision said:

a) you’ve guessed wrong b) Preston managed to play some incisive football in the second half. They were very good, in fact. It was possible to play. We were poor and fortunate to get a point. 

We weren't poor, and don't forget we were the only team to take a point off Preston for the first half dozen or so games of the season.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pikeysrobins said:

Sorry but I only see positivity. Last night Leeds were by far the better team and that’s a fact that cannot be changed. I thought we looked tired maybe and Leeds high press and energy and quality meant we were never really in the game. 

Too much knee-jerk reaction once again. Please see the bigger picture. Lansdown’s ridiculous top 6 belief aside we are unrecognisable as a team compared to under Nige. Nige also did a great job of turning around what was a sinking ship and getting us to a level of competence, laying the foundation to pass on the baton to a young head coach like LM with a front foot philosophy but with a squad used to ‘handbrake’ football. To change from one to another can’t be done overnight but signs are good and signings also suggest much promise. Loving what I see on the whole and see an upward trajectory for sure. Leeds had everything we aspire to be and that was the difference. We weren’t poor - Leeds were just far, far better! Let’s hope that we take that on the chin and continue to move forward.  

Manning needs to watch that video and learn from it. Leeds were everything (except clinical you would argue) that we WANT to be but are nowhere near. Pass the football, pass it FORWARD and do it at SPEED. Not only that but they weren’t averse to doing the hard yards and winning their 50:50’s either.

I have to take issue with your comment that we weren’t poor. We were atrocious tbh. Our passing was the worst I’ve seen all season and unusually for us, bar Max, we looked a train wreck at the back against their press too. That could and should have been a Stoke v Leicester score line. Play like that against Southampton and Leicester and we won’t get away with it again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Skin said:

Dont call me Silvano!!! 😂😂

I don’t know if you’ve read Fever Pitch but there’s a great passage in there where Nick Hornby articulates how much simpler things were when he was younger (and remember this was the 90s it was written). Players signed for Arsenal must have been good or they wouldn’t have signed them, and why would the England manager not pick the best team -  clearly they were the best players!

As time goes on Nick got to see more football and formed more opinions. So his logic fell apart. And it wasn’t a good feeling.

My point is that Nick began to develop opinions quicker the more football he consumed, and the easier it was to consume it. And the parallel here is that if you go back even 2 years, there wasnt the same access to all games, people watching on VPN etc. it’s not necessarily a social media thing, it’s an availability thing - people see more, and right now many people would have only seen 7 LM games 5 years ago as opposed to the full amount. So, I think the increased scrutiny is a function of increased information. And that’s probably a good thing, handled properly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Red Skin said:

He clearly won’t have all the answers from Day 1 BUT he has been in charge for 18 matches now. The first nine league games we took 14 points, a very decent return. However when you are on a run of three points from six games people will scrutinise.

If we are at three points from eight games by a week Tuesday this place will be in meltdown. He needs a positive result badly (Coventry was positive but he really needs a win vey soon). Hopefully last night’s performance was isolated and people will calm down a bit.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Dont call me Silvano!!! 😂😂

I don’t know if you’ve read Fever Pitch but there’s a great passage in there where Nick Hornby articulates how much simpler things were when he was younger (and remember this was the 90s it was written). Players signed for Arsenal must have been good or they wouldn’t have signed them, and why would the England manager not pick the best team -  clearly they were the best players!

As time goes on Nick got to see more football and formed more opinions. So his logic fell apart. And it wasn’t a good feeling.

My point is that Nick began to develop opinions quicker the more football he consumed, and the easier it was to consume it. And the parallel here is that if you go back even 2 years, there wasnt the same access to all games, people watching on VPN etc. it’s not necessarily a social media thing, it’s an availability thing - people see more, and right now many people would have only seen 7 LM games 5 years ago as opposed to the full amount. So, I think the increased scrutiny is a function of increased information. And that’s probably a good thing, handled properly.

I’m sure this is right. Not many would see a dog performance in the north in, say, the 80s, 90s, or 2000s.

I remember going to Northampton in December 1983. We lost 1-0, stank the place out and had two players sent off. Might have been 400 of us there. There was no one to howl at in the evening, or anywhere to do it. 

• Like 2

For me, I see the plan and style, I see some the signings already and I’m actually quite excited for next season and what could play out

Last night was an off night against a Leeds team that tore us apart with some of the best players I’ve seen in the championship for years

Apart from last night and against Millwall, under Manning I’ve seen more than enough to suggest next season could be very promising 

And that’s coming from someone who didn’t want Pearson sacked or wasn’t overly impressed with the Manning appointment 

But I do see enough to be excited about next season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firstdivision said:

I’m sure this is right. Not many would see a dog performance in the north in, say, the 80s, 90s, or 2000s.

I remember going to Northampton in December 1983. We lost 1-0, stank the place out and had two players sent off. Might have been 400 of us there. There was no one to howl at in the evening, or anywhere to do it. 

Yep, it definitely plays to less time. I remember in the 80s signing Tony Caldwell and Steve Johnson - they were Bolton and Wigan’s main men respectively, how could it go wrong? But it did. If that was today we’d be all over videos of them at their current team, stats etc. And again, not saying that’s a bad thing but there is naturally less time outside of the fanbase eyes.

Ive missed one game either on tv or live this season - the Forest one. So I’ve seen all bar one of LMs games. That means I can see patterns, positives, plans, good, bad etc far earlier than I would. Does that mean that I might conclude earlier than prior years? Almost certainly. But I think in any walk of life it’s better to know early than to know late.

Summary for me is that the modern world does increase pressure. I’m not sure that’s a bad thing though as it allows issues to be addressed quicker 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yep, it definitely plays to less time. I remember in the 80s signing Tony Caldwell and Steve Johnson - they were Bolton and Wigan’s main men respectively, how could it go wrong? But it did. If that was today we’d be all over videos of them at their current team, stats etc. And again, not saying that’s a bad thing but there is naturally less time outside of the fanbase eyes.

Ive missed one game either on tv or live this season - the Forest one. So I’ve seen all bar one of LMs games. That means I can see patterns, positives, plans, good, bad etc far earlier than I would. Does that mean that I might conclude earlier than prior years? Almost certainly. But I think in any walk of life it’s better to know early than to know late.

Summary for me is that the modern world does increase pressure. I’m not sure that’s a bad thing though as it allows issues to be addressed quicker 

Been making some great posts lately @Silvio Dante, yet another set I agree with on this thread!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mason said:

9 seasons of hope and little else, 9 seasons of stagnation, 9 seasons of cashing in on our best players, the latest window has brought in loaned players who wont be here next season and some young guns who may stopover on their journey to the south coast, or elsewhere;

While we well what? stay for another 9 seasons repeating,repeating...another manager...another bright hope another window etc.

Nothings changed same sh1te different season, another manager more hope spouted; season already written off as plans for the next window/season are rolled out.

Yup.

We bought a player from a league one club and loaned him back because he will be premier league ready when we get in the top six and win the play offs. 

Mannng and Lansdown have written off this season, hoping to distract us with a cup run! 

• Like 2