IGNORED

Looking over our shoulder

old_eastender

After QPR and Huddersfield won today, we are sitting just 10 pts clear of a relegation place. 

Given our next game is Southampton, that gap could well be less ahead of what could be a key game home to QPR.

Can't imagine we would have had to worry about being drawn into a relegation scrap had Pearson stayed...

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 11

I’m about as unimpressed with the club at the moment as it’s possible to be, but we really don’t need to worry about relegation.

The only way we get relegated is if everyone gets so bored that we actually fail to turn up for any of the rest of our games this season and keep forfeiting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

After QPR and Huddersfield won today, we are sitting just 10 pts clear of a relegation place. 

Given our next game is Southampton, that gap could well be less ahead of what could be a key game home to QPR.

Can't imagine we would have had to worry about being drawn into a relegation scrap had Pearson stayed...

Nah, too many teams between us and the bottom 3 in poor form. Teams on 33 points and below must be worried.

5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

False fear.  10 points from 16 games is no issue 

6 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Behave yourself we will pick up a few draws somewhere along the line 

9 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

If you're going to worry about our next opponents at least get them right!! To put it into perspective if we were to pick up half a point a game (our current form) we would end up on 46 points. The reality is we have to find three wins and three draws from our last sixteen games. If we were to fail to do that then Manning would have to be sacked and Tinnion would have to resign. The bigger concern for me is that if we finish on less than the 59 points of last season then Jon and Sid really have some explaining to do.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bearded_red said:

I’m about as unimpressed with the club at the moment as it’s possible to be, but we really don’t need to worry about relegation.

The only way we get relegated is if everyone gets so bored that we actually fail to turn up for any of the rest of our games this season and keep forfeiting.

Not a good look though to finish 17th-19th though is it and unless there's a marked improvement in form that's where we could finish?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Not a good look though to finish 17th-19th though is it and unless there's a marked improvement in form that's where we could finish?

Exactly. At least under Pearson, in very challenging circumstances, we made progress in the final league position each season. Anything less than 14th this season, especially given playing our league position when he took over, would suggest Manning’s first season has been a failure.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, old_eastender said:

My God, I bet you could not wait to post, so if we were the same number of points from making the playoffs would it mean we should all prepare to be possibly booking tickets to Wembley? thought not.

• Like 1

We won’t get relegated but as others have said, finishing lower than last season and taken few points will be a massive backward step and make the managerial change seem even more baffling (if that’s possible!). 
Should we go out of the cup, we’ll be on a stinking run with a long series of dead-rubbers ahead. If that’s the case then it would be nice to see some attacking, entertaining football and a few kids given their chance… what do you reckon are the chances of that happening? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, !james said:

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/relegation

Currently 100/1 to go down... 

As so many people on here think we are danger it's a good chance to make some money... 

No kidding it was 150/1 Friday night, the odds can change very quickly. Unless you're a regular, the maximum bet they'd allow at those odds is probably £10, so you're never going to get a life-changing amount of money.

I wouldn't say we are certainly safe at this point, lose the next 3 league games, which is possible and we'll certainly be looking over our shoulders. For me there's an air of complacency over the place with these signings for next season.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, old_eastender said:

The fact that Pearson didn't address the fact in the summer that we needed a striker is half the problem

• Haha 10
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 5

11 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

The fact that Pearson didn't address the fact in the summer that we needed a striker is half the problem

Pearson? Whilst the in-situ manager/ Head Coach may have a say from a shortlist put in front of them, isn’t it the club recruitment department that effectively curate that list?

Bit different than Pearson being able to independently say “here’s who I want, go get him”.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

The money bet is next season.

There is no chance in hell we are going down this year. But if we continue this trajectory of form, it takes a massive turnaround for us to do anything next year. Make no mistake - we are in trouble for 24/25 as we stand

Also doesn’t make recruitment any easier 

7 hours ago, pillred said:

My God, I bet you could not wait to post, so if we were the same number of points from making the playoffs would it mean we should all prepare to be possibly booking tickets to Wembley? thought not.

Perhaps if our form over the last 6 games was 15+ points out of 18 rather than 3, we would be talking about putting a few bob on. However, our next couple of games are Boro and Southampton. We’ll do well to pick up a couple of points here. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sturgess said:

Pearson? Whilst the in-situ manager/ Head Coach may have a say from a shortlist put in front of them, isn’t it the club recruitment department that effectively curate that list?

Bit different than Pearson being able to independently say “here’s who I want, go get him”.

That's fair enough but he certainly has a say, whoever's to blame the poor & small pool of strikers to choose from has been a massive problem 

So many so sure fact is we are already closer to the bottom 6 than the top 6 tough games this month Boro and Southampton and QPR with a vital visit to us.

Its ok though just Liecs/Ipswich and WBA next month, our defence could save us but it wont be by much and is not certain

Edited by mason

5 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Perhaps if our form over the last 6 games was 15+ points out of 18 rather than 3, we would be talking about putting a few bob on. However, our next couple of games are Boro and Southampton. We’ll do well to pick up a couple of points here. 

Southampton are demolishing teams and are unbeaten in about 20 games so being as we've been waving the white flag against the divisions elite teams for the last five years expect nothing there, i wouldn't be surprised if we pick something up at Boro next week though. 

last 5 games have got us 2points, only Blackburn can match that in the whole div, including Rotherham who are bottom;

Blackburn beat us up there and QPR beat them up there.

Nothing to worry about though we have signed on Hope to get us through.

Edited by mason
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

In the summer we were playing a different system with 3 forwards. We had Bell, Mehmeti, Weimann and Sykes as wide forwards, and Conway, Wells and Cornick as central strikers. Cornick and Weimann could also play central or wide and let's not forget Yeboah was also getting minutes. 
I'd say we were pretty well stocked in the forward department at the start of the season and it was only a significant run of injuries that started eating into these options. Though as I remember it I think the issues were more in defence and midfield that up top. 

So I'm not having Pearson being to blame for that, let's not forget Manning inherited a top 6 squad

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

5 minutes ago, Dredd said:

In the summer we were playing a different system with 3 forwards. We had Bell, Mehmeti, Weimann and Sykes as wide forwards, and Conway, Wells and Cornick as central strikers. Cornick and Weimann could also play central or wide and let's not forget Yeboah was also getting minutes. 
I'd say we were pretty well stocked in the forward department at the start of the season and it was only a significant run of injuries that started eating into these options. Though as I remember it I think the issues were more in defence and midfield that up top. 

So I'm not having Pearson being to blame for that, let's not forget Manning inherited a top 6 squad

I'm talking out and out centre forwards not wide strikers who rarely score (with the exception of Sykes) That leaves us the three centre forwards you've mentioned of which Cornick never played that roll at Luton, Wells is well passed it which leaves us with the still very young and inexperienced Conway, we were well under-cooked in the CF department going into the new season

4 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

I'm talking out and out centre forwards not wide strikers who rarely score (with the exception of Sykes) That leaves us the three centre forwards you've mentioned of which Cornick never played that roll at Luton, Wells is well passed it which leaves us with the still very young and inexperienced Conway, we were well under-cooked in the CF department going into the new season

So do tell, who was available to Pearson for free, because he didn't have any money to spend did he? Or let's pretend he had some cash, who should he have bought?

• Like 5