IGNORED

sin bins using blue cards to be introduced in season 2024/25?

On the subject of rule changes, the MLS are introducing some rules to reduce stoppages:

“If a player with a suspected injury is on the ground for more than 15 seconds referees will stop play so that the player can be removed from the field and evaluated at which point they will remain off the field for a minimum of two minutes following treatment. There are a few exceptions including head injuries, goalkeeper injuries, serious medical events, and fouls resulting in cards as those may need more time on the pitch. 

The timed substitution rule follows a similar theme. Any player substituted must leave the field of play by any point within 10 seconds. If they fail to do that, the player coming in will need to wait 60 seconds before entering the game at the next stoppage. In MLS Next Pro, 99.7% of more than 3200 substitutions were able to leave the pitch within that time frame. There are exceptions for injuries and goalkeeper substitutions.” (Source:CBS)

if Implemented correctly, this could reduce time wasting and players rolling around trying to get the ref to stop play.

Sorry if it’s been posted before. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

• The title was changed to sin bins using blue cards to be introduced in season 2024/25?
38 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Good idea for dissent but won’t a foul just be another subjective call so you will get refs giving blue cards for one thing but not another which someone else might . .

And when a player is sin binned won't teams be super-drilled in the art of time wasting till he comes back on?

24 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

And when a player is sin binned won't teams be super-drilled in the art of time wasting till he comes back on?

They should just stop the clock. Then you wouldn't need added time either, and kill two birds with one stone 

I wish they would stop messing with what was once the beautifully simple game. VAR was bad enough, this is just unnecessary as well. 

I don’t think anything is off the table with football these days though. Would never surprise me if they introduced quarters not halves, two balls in play not one, half time bands or shows during the FA Cup final, 5 points for a win, 3 for a score draw, etc etc etc. 

• Like 1

I’ve been watching football for the last 2-3 seasons in Somerset county league, and this league has had sin bins.
 I’ve found they work really well, players who are at ‘boiling point’ etc get 10 minutes to basically calm down on the touchline, you see a marked improvement from them when they come back on.

Its a really good piece of armour for a referee to have, and use. So far I think it’s only been used for abuse etc, but it can only be good that it will be also used for cynical “ taking one for the team” fouls. It’s about time these were stamped down on with more than just a yellow card. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I read today that the Rugby Union bosses have advised football to think very, very carefully before they introduce the sin bin idea. 

I guess the issue might be once they use it for dissent and certain fouls people will want it used for other things too.

Remember dissent can be punished already or are refs too scared about ruining games if they sent someone off and this is seen as a half way house?

As for fouls well if it’s that bad and cyclical  send the player off .

They will soon learn as Billing of Bournemouth might have done at the weekend.

• Like 1

Will ruin football as a spectacle. Will make teams sit back and waste time until they come back on. Tell you something, things like this make me think about just giving up on the sport completely. Slowly falling out of love with the game that i was obsessed with for the last 25 years. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I’ve been watching football for the last 2-3 seasons in Somerset county league, and this league has had sin bins.
 I’ve found they work really well, players who are at ‘boiling point’ etc get 10 minutes to basically calm down on the touchline, you see a marked improvement from them when they come back on.

Its a really good piece of armour for a referee to have, and use. So far I think it’s only been used for abuse etc, but it can only be good that it will be also used for cynical “ taking one for the team” fouls. It’s about time these were stamped down on with more than just a yellow card. 

Has it "ruined the spectacle" for you?

Do teams that have a player sent to the bin just sit in and time waste for ten minutes?

Say 4 or 5 players have surrounded the ref giving him verbals which happens often in the Prem do all 5 players get Sin Binned ?. The games not broken why and fix try it and bring stupid rules in. If a player is aggresive to the ref send him off end of problem players will soon learn

Edited by westonred
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 2015 said:

Too many rules being introduced that is ruining Football as a spectacle for the fans.

I do worry Football is on the start of a decline in interest and daft decisions like these wont help it.

I thought attendances were on the up? Every club is trying to increase it's capacity in some way.

On 06/02/2024 at 15:18, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Why not the premier League as well ?

because the epls crap infests the game from the top down but you dont want to experiment on tyhe part of the game the top bods think is most important!!

50 minutes ago, westonred said:

Say 4 or 5 players have surrounded the ref giving him verbals which happens often in the Prem do all 5 players get Sin Binned ?. The games not broken why and fix try it and bring stupid rules in. If a player is aggresive to the ref send him off end of problem players will soon learn

5 no thats game abandoned laws of the game dont allow a team to play with seven.

9 hours ago, One Team said:

I wish they would stop messing with what was once the beautifully simple game. VAR was bad enough, this is just unnecessary as well. 

I don’t think anything is off the table with football these days though. Would never surprise me if they introduced quarters not halves, two balls in play not one, half time bands or shows during the FA Cup final, 5 points for a win, 3 for a score draw, etc etc etc. 

assaults and abuse of refs is at record highs but its back to front. the stars everybody mimic should have already have had sins bins instead of starting with the kids leagues. 

10 hours ago, 2015 said:

Too many rules being introduced that is ruining Football as a spectacle for the fans.

I do worry Football is on the start of a decline in interest and daft decisions like these wont help it.

its not all about being a spectacles for fans. huge numbers play and watch away from the epl. this will help cut out what is ruining football for many abuse assaults cheating what should be them high priorities,.

• Like 1

The rule is already in effect for teams playing below Hellenic or Toolstation leagues. So for the Bristol area that would be Somerset and Gloucester leagues. 

From that perspective, I understand the rule refs are normal people typically mid to late twenties or early thirties who do not deserve to be abused by players of course at no level is this admirable.

But in truth this blue card should not happen in professional football. These refs are mostly all full time which means it’s their sole responsibility to control the game and the conduct of players. It is not as though they have to rely on second jobs for income which may distract them from improving. 

There is already a solution for dissent it’s a yellow card. Remember king got sent off for dissent and a tactical foul in his first season with us at home. 

From my perspective it appears that the league are rather than trying to better the quality of reffing which is dire currently they would rather mute those on the pitch to not criticise them. From a fan perspective it is clear when a foul has been committed (95% of the time) but we will have no idea around this blue card if it’s for dissent. It’s not exactly like the players can even contest it either otherwise they are endangering themselves.

In conclusion, I understand it for the times where refs are just normal people who just turn up on the Saturday, but when it’s your job you have to be able to control the game and thus the players on it. Yet again it’s a move away from taking any blame on the refs head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For multiple reasons I think this will be positive.

Sin bins already work well in numerous other team sports, including very high-paced sports like ice hockey, and other field sports such as hockey and rugby. 

It's not a rule change, it's a new tool for referees to enforce the rules that already exist.

It should also bring new attacking tactics as well as potentially defensive ones. @Port Said Red have you seen that in the games you've watched?

The laws of the game have never stood still. From the outlawing of hacking in the 1800s, to the adaptations of offside, to the removal of the backpass in the 90s. There is not single point in time when the laws were perfect, and if anyone likes back through rose-tinted glasses and says there is...they're kidding themselves.

I can't see it being anything more than a positive change. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1