IGNORED

sin bins using blue cards to be introduced in season 2024/25?

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It doesn’t spoil the game, it makes players behave properly. If players can’t behave properly then tough. 

I’ve actually fallen out of love with the game at the top, because I’ve become sick of the diving, cheating, dissent, and trying to con officials for 90 minutes. 
Players and managers need to start behaving properly, if they won’t, then accept the punishment and go off for ten minutes, simple. 

Do you not think all that happens at lower levels? As a player at those levels I think it's almost as bad, if not worse because it's easier to get away with the cheating.

Another issue I have with the sin bin rule at the moment is there's no fine or punishment after the game for it. Maybe that's a good thing to some? But there's no deterrant really other than losing a few minutes in a game.

After 5 bookings you receive a 1 match ban, there's no cumulative punishment for abusing a ref every week - other than perhaps from your own team.

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

Because it's my opinion that the Sport is not as authentic as it used to be. Every team/country play with the same identity nowadays. There is no diversity in style.

Too many teams being introduced to Tournaments now without really working hard to get there because of how many team's who are allowed to qualify has diluted the quality.

Too many players coached to play the same way rather than having exciting and thrilling Number 10s and lightning fast wingers who get down the touchline. 

I'm sorry, I find modern football as a spectacle rather boring to watch. It's overly tactical, players seem like they are being played with shackles on and the characters just aren't there any more.

And I am actually under the age of 30 by the way @IAmNick because I know you'll try the old 'it was better when I was younger' argument.

Ok, that doesn't answer my question but ok.

I think what you can see on this thread is that people who have played and watched the game when this blue card has been in use are generally supportive of it. There might some issues with implementation or with certain referees not using it to full effect, but I can't see anyone with actual experience of it arguing that it is awful for the game.

Your wider concerns on the state of football are just that - wider concerns. I hope to agree with you some of them, but I don't think that, for example, the fact that football is now on almost every night of the week means we shouldn't use a blue card/sin bins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ok, that doesn't answer my question but ok.

I think what you can see on this thread is that people who have played and watched the game when this blue card has been in use are generally supportive of it. There might some issues with implementation or with certain referees not using it to full effect, but I can't see anyone with actual experience of it arguing that it is awful for the game.

Your wider concerns on the state of football are just that - wider concerns. I hope to agree with you some of them, but I don't think that, for example, the fact that football is now on almost every night of the week means we shouldn't use a blue card/sin bins.

It's just an example of another stupid rule that may come in and make the Sport even more dull to watch.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

It's just an example of another stupid rule that may come in and make the Sport even more dull to watch.

But that's not what the evidence provided by people who have experienced it suggests.

For myself I've watched ice hockey, which has sin bins, and those games are often at their best when a player is in the bin.

If you choose to ignore the first hand experience of other people in favour of your own unfounded assumptions then enjoy that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought attendances were on the up? Every club is trying to increase it's capacity in some way.

They are, with the exception of our friends north of the river.

As for sin bins, if the rules as they are were applied properly and consistently (including VAR) there would be no need.

4 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

It's hard enough for refs choosing between red and yellow cards. Add a third and it gets even more subjective and harder to decide which is the appropriate choice. Whatever the rules it is still down to a ref's judgement. I'd rather they left it as it is.

VAR is "broken" etc because people thought the system would bring perfection and there would be no talking points about decisions made as all the refs would be the same on every aspect of decision making with no differences in opinion.

We even see different leagues and competitions have their own variations of the rules like handball.

It should have just come in for factual incidents.

Be the same with this - you can see the complaints when one week x does get a blue card for dissent or a bad foul but the next ye doesn't.

Particularly if one is a bottom half PL player and the other from one of the elite.

I think refs just need to be stronger with dissent and punish players more regardless of if they get accused of spoiling the game or being fussy.

As for fouls - well unfortunately they have and always will be subjective in nature.

Just now fans get frustrated at the games because they don't know what is going on and it takes time out of the game and generally people don't want to watch endless periods of one bloke talking to another on a screen. 

Edited by Markthehorn

14 hours ago, supercidered said:

F@ck me they can't get Yellow and or Red Cards right half the time. This will only make things worse!

Yeah. Also what would concern me is I can definitely imagine sin bin blue cards being used, when actually a yellow card should have been issued. It will be a grey area. 

• Like 1

What about if player A commits a foul on player B who then has to leave the field for treatment, then player A should leave the field too until player B returns or is subbed? 

That would be my new rule.

9 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

Yeah. Also what would concern me is I can definitely imagine sin bin blue cards being used, when actually a yellow card should have been issued. It will be a grey area. 

So I assume they can't be sin binned again later in the match, so what's next a yellow or a yellow tallying up to a red so they are off? 

• Like 1

Bonkers idea, as was the introduction of cards in the first place! The use of yellow and red cards has done nothing to enhance the game but instead has led to a lowering of standards of behaviour by players  officials, supporters, commentators and pundits alike. Back in the day when the referee was the sole arbiter of whether a player was cautioned he took his black book from his pocket and without fuss wrote down the players name. The showiness of cards, held aloft so that everyone can see a player has been sent to the naughty step incites bad behaviours. Prior to their introduction players didn't run around waving their hand in the air like some poor impression of John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever and crowds weren't incensed by theatrics. Referees have become more inconsistent by the pressures of playing to the crowd and tv audiences either reluctant to get out their cards or hand them around freely like sweeties at Christmas. Some ofcourse decide to do nothing for 75 minutes and then have a buy one get one free offer for the remaining minutes. But if you think referees are inconsistent it's nothing compared to the pundit who screams for a player to be 'carded', not booked (thus lowering English language standards), for an innocuous trip on the halfway line but later seeks to defend the same player who receives a red card for common assault. The introduction of blue cards won't address behaviours or inconsistencies. Some referees will dole out cards for dissent while others will laugh a situation off as their (or their fellow officials) sensitivity threshold has not been breached. 'Professional' fouls will continue to be made as sides weigh up the pros and cons of such actions, particularly in the last 10 minutes of games. Supporters will be left frustrated by what is deemed a 'professional' by one ref but not by another. Heaven help us if VAR is ever to be used to decide as we could all be asked if we can come back next week. Don't introduce blue cards, scrap the yellow and red ones. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Klopp and Ange are two managers who would hate the defensive time wasting tactics teams might employ in the 10 minute sin bin spell.

They'd rather just get on with the game and be entertaining. 

Football isn't a stop-start game like Rugby, Cricket and Tennis. It's 90mph most of the time. 

VAR doesn't work, this blue card won't work. Lets just focus on improving the sport as an entertainment than searching for absolute perfection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Football isn't a stop-start game like Rugby, Cricket and Tennis. It's 90mph most of the time. 

VAR doesn't work, this blue card won't work. Lets just focus on improving the sport as an entertainment than searching for absolute perfection.

Unfortunately it does what it was designed to do - it confirms the right decision and therefore reduces the fans wrath at the officials that we all know has been a huge factor in matches and is still an issue outside of the PL.

I’m in favour of a yellow card = 10mins in the sin bin. Teams are used to playing with and against 10 men, if a second player in the same team gets a yellow then they’re reduced to 9 players - that risk would likely make the referees less card happy and make players less likely to risk getting one. It would make quite a difference Imo.

As for blue cards - and absolutely ridiculous suggestion that serves no real purpose. I’m convinced that it’s a knee jerk reaction to the referee getting punched by an official in a Turkish match not so long ago.

No doubt that was 100% unacceptable and the official and his club should be severely embarrassed and punished accordingly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Surely it’s a different game? 
They should just leave it alone, get rid of VAR too when they’re at it

Dissent is dissent whether you're a plumber in the Downs league or a multi-millionaire at Liverpool.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

On 09/02/2024 at 11:33, Robbored said:

I haven’t scrolled through this thread so this may have already been mentioned - surely a yellow card could  warrant 10mins in the sin bin? No need to unnecessarily complicate a system that already works pretty well.

All these different coloured card is a ridiculous suggestion.

I reckon it’s as a consequence of the Turkish referee being punched by a club owner and everything kicking off - a complete knee jerk reaction imo.

You can stick a player in a sin bin and give him a yellow card at this point if the level your doing has sin bins you can also put players several times in the sin bin without yellows., 

On 09/02/2024 at 10:14, westonred said:

Yes i realise that but if your 4 nil down wouldnt it be beneficial for the players to all kick off to try and get Sin Binned to get the match abandoned

if  a team gets to that point its rare very  but the team causing the abandonment loses the game they could suddenly get injuries mind!!!

On 09/02/2024 at 11:33, Robbored said:

I haven’t scrolled through this thread so this may have already been mentioned - surely a yellow card could  warrant 10mins in the sin bin? No need to unnecessarily complicate a system that already works pretty well.

This is not complicated.

1. Blue ten minutes in sin bin.
  2. Yellow caution.
  3. Red sending off.

• Like 1

Generally it’s not a totally ridiculous idea. How many times does a player get a yellow for a professional foul and it doesn’t seem quite punishment enough but a red would be harsh. My concern would be on the flip side that referees would issue a blue instead of a red when it’s borderline.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

This is not complicated.

1. Blue ten minutes in sin bin.
  2. Yellow caution.
  3. Red sending off.

Too complicated Cowshed - why introduce an unnecessary card? 

As I posted earlier yellow = 10 mins in the sin bin. A second yellow = red card and off. Straightforward and simple. Teams are familiar playing against 10 or with only 10.

Benefits are that referees likely to be less card happy. Players aware to be less reckless particularly when tacking.

Should a team have two in the sin bin (as England did in the rugby yesterday) hard luck.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Too complicated Cowshed - why introduce an unnecessary card? 

Why is it complicated for you to understand?

A player and anybody would instantly know that a blue card is for one of only several sanctioned offences. 

15 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

Generally it’s not a totally ridiculous idea. How many times does a player get a yellow for a professional foul and it doesn’t seem quite punishment 

Consistently.

Teams and top teams headed by Managers like Klopp and Guardiolas teams will as a tactic routinely foul players to stop promising attacks. This is an accepted part of the game.

16 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

Generally it’s not a totally ridiculous idea. How many times does a player get a yellow for a professional foul and it doesn’t seem quite punishment enough but a red would be harsh. My concern would be on the flip side that referees would issue a blue instead of a red when it’s borderline.

There is a distinction in the laws between stopping a promising attack and denying clear goal scoring opportunity. The former doesn't have a sanction of a red card, and the latter does. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Why is it complicated for you to 

It’s not complicated to understand Cowshed - it’s an unnecessary addition to the current system.

Far simpler if a yellow card means 10 mins in the bin regardless of any offence that doesn’t warrant a straight red

I’ve already posted the benefits of such a move.

• Like 1