IGNORED

A striker…

16 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Sounds like tonight the biggest issue we had was scoring despite numerous good chances.

Goes to show again that we had to bring someone in last month and failed to do us. Will most likely cost us more than once between now and the end of the season.

Edit: was there a reason Mebude wasn’t involved tonight?

We should have gone and got Kieffer Moore 

The fact we went and signed no one is absolutely Bristol City to a tee

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

Maybe next season they’ll do half season tickets, for the first half of the season. Then we can decide in January whether to buy the other half.

That's not as daft as it sounds is it when you think about it worth a try at least, the people who really love the club probably would renew anyway and it might tempt a few into giving us a try.

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

That's not as daft as it sounds is it when you think about it worth a try at least, the people who really love the club probably would renew anyway and it might tempt a few into giving us a try.

It would be a great idea if you support a club who had genuine ambitions of getting top 6. Reality is - by January most years our season is over. Lots would go for the first half season ticket but not renew for the second part 

The tossers at the top are happy to regurgitate the same bullshit each year about how we want to push for the top 6 - when the reality is, they haven’t got a clue how to do it 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

On 07/02/2024 at 23:09, ollywhyte said:

Agree to an extent. But also we simply need to get this striker signing right, we’re clearly wanting to commit a bit of money to get someone in who’s going to be that main man for us.

And based on BT’s comments we likely have some options up our sleeve. No point paying over the odds in January especially when you consider our league position making it unlikely to be threatening either end of the table.

If we had sat in the play offs going into January then I’m quite sure we’d have done some more aggressive business. But really no need to panic and pay over the odds now. It’s sensible and strategic. We also don’t end up paying for a Diony, Rodri etc etc.

As to the “we’re clearly wanting to commit a bit of money” bit, I really hope you are right , but sadly doubt that the powers that be have any intention of doing anything other than buying young players with potential (see this last window) and the occasional seasoned pro ( Dickie / Cornick , both free) to keep us up.

Very happy to be proved wrong, 

• Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 08:50, 1960maaan said:

You're not the first person to say this, so I'd be interested to hear some possible and sensible names.
I don't keep up on the possible signing thread so I would be genuinely interested . 

I know we were linked with Al Hamadi , but he's not proven. Unlikely we will spend near our record , so even if we had say £5m who is there ?

Proven Championship striker, available in January , that wouldn't smash out wages budget = rocking horse shit.  

Spot on.  And where is this proven top striker, that no club in their right minds would release in the Jan window, anyway?  Like you, i would love to hear some named candidates?              

• Like 4

On 07/02/2024 at 23:09, BCFCGav said:

Mebude wasn’t eligible for the initial tie which meant he couldn’t feature tonight. We’re targeting a forward in the summer so yea, I think it’s all about next season now. And then I’m sure it will be about the season after, etc etc 🤣

But I am not sure how much more evidence, proof, signs, tarot readings, the buying new player team at Ashton gate need to see.

We need experienced  goal scoring striker NOW. Not tomorrow in the summer when we are not playing but NOW 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

But I am not sure how much more evidence, proof, signs, tarot readings, the buying new player team at Ashton gate need to see.

We need experienced  goal scoring striker NOW. Not tomorrow in the summer when we are not playing but NOW 

The hierarchy wrote this season off a while ago mate, frustrating as it is. So were never gonna break the bank in Jan.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I am in the camp of 'who was available' and 'for the right money', however when you see that our top scorer is 29th in the Champ list and our next best is 61st that does tell a story.

Are we missing too many chances or not creating enough though?

Kieffer Moore would have been an upgrade 

27 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I am in the camp of 'who was available' and 'for the right money', however when you see that our top scorer is 29th in the Champ list and our next best is 61st that does tell a story.

Not clinical enough & very predictable imo..

Could do with something (someone) whom' can offer us another angle.

1 minute ago, JAWS said:

Kieffer Moore would have been an upgrade 

Are you seriously suggesting he would have chosen us over Ipswich who were second when he signed?

James Piercy reported that we enquired (Cardiff did too) & he wasn’t remotely interested in joining us.

This is fantasy stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

The hierarchy wrote this season off a while ago mate, frustrating as it is. So were never gonna break the bank in Jan.

But what about that club ambition - premier league target statement when they sacked NP. Are they so up their asses that they think we believe they have any idea what they know what they are doing.

I am red till I dead and always will be but they really starting to ******* **** me right off now.

COYR

PS. 4/1 for win on Saturday 🤔 there has to be a build a bet around that 😎

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

But what about that club ambition - premier league target statement when they sacked NP. Are they so up their asses that they think we believe they have any idea what they know what they are doing.

I am red till I dead and always will be but they really starting to ******* **** me right off now.

COYR

PS. 4/1 for win on Saturday 🤔 there has to be a build a bet around that 😎

Well done Cyril- keep it going!!

I'm not so sure they think on any level beyond surface at all..

Thick as mince.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

24 minutes ago, JAWS said:

They haven't backed up the so called ambition. They never do

LM has been in the job for approximately 14 weeks.  Funds are being released in the summer from the 35 million that has been accrued from transfers out. You either believe we are making progress or you don't, depending on your POV.   The definition of Ambition is: : : - " A desire and a strong wish to be successful"   Whatever your position, it cannot really be denied that WE ARE showing ambition?  Whether that is fulfilled is a different matter?

Personally i support Manning and believe he will, given some time, prove to be successful, and dependent on our Summer signings, I intend to put my money down on us finishing in the Top 6 next season.  That is either blind ambition or foollhardiness?   Ha!!

Edited by maxjak

9 minutes ago, maxjak said:

LM has been in the job for approximately 14 weeks.  Funds are being released in the summer from the 35 million that has been accrued from transfers out. You either believe we are making progress or you don't, depending on your POV.   The definition of Ambition is: : : - " A desire and a strong wish to be successful"   Whatever your position, it cannot really be denied that WE ARE showing ambition?  Whether that is fulfilled is a different matter?

Personally i support Manning and believe he will, given some time, prove to be successful, and dependent on our Summer signings, I intend to put my money down on us finishing in the Top 6 next season.  That is either blind ambition or foollhardiness?   Ha!!

I back LM too & hope he is backed himself by SL but seen enough in the 22 yrs of SL reign to know its unlikely to happen. There was no need to change manager, we were heading in the right direction. It was an excuse cos NP called them out.

It's one thing saying you have ambition to your public but another thing to back it up. What evidence do you have of us showing ambition?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Not creating enough.  XG is roughly 29 (non-pens) and we’ve scored 29 (non-pens and OGs).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not creating enough.  XG is roughly 29 (non-pens) and we’ve scored 29 (non-pens and OGs).

And I'd add that this is consistent across both managers. My xG includes pens and my goals for include pens and OGs.

Pearson - xG 16 - goals 15. 14 league games.

Manning - xG 16 - goals 17. 15 league games.

It's an issue with the squad personnel not with the coaching/tactics imo.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yes I agree Max. But surely this all comes down to one thing.  The board making available to LM the players who can pull off promotion. And I am starting to see what LM is trying to do and liking it. Success in the modern game is down to that dirty subject of money 

On 07/02/2024 at 23:03, formerly known as ivan said:

Sounds like tonight the biggest issue we had was scoring despite numerous good chances.

Goes to show again that we had to bring someone in last month and failed to do us. Will most likely cost us more than once between now and the end of the season.

Edit: was there a reason Mebude wasn’t involved tonight?

I'd say taking our striker, Conway off the pitch was the biggest issue. 

• Like 2

On 07/02/2024 at 23:20, JAWS said:

After our win at Watford on boxing day we were one point off 6th! We absolutely should be going for it in January and seizing the opportunity. Otherwise we sell our best players in the summer to 'balance the books' and we are back to square one! 

Should have gone for it in the summer after selling our best player in a generation.

47 minutes ago, JAWS said:

They haven't backed up the so called ambition. They never do

You do realise that shopping for a striker who can score goals in the Championship isn’t the same as shopping for a tin of beans in Tescos?

(And, just to take the analogy a bit further, that the January window is a bit like shopping in Tescos at 4pm on Christmas Eve: the shelves are empty!) 

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'd say taking our striker, Conway off the pitch was the biggest issue. 

Maybe, maybe not!

I thought you were dead right on another thread earlier in the week, when you made the case that both Cornick and Wells came very very close and on another day one of those would have gone in and the subs would have been genius!

Would Conway have stuck away that Wells chance? Who knows! You’d like to think so - but maybe his tiredness would have meant he didn’t make that run in the first place. All ifs and buts I guess. 

• Like 1

Ask any fan of any football club they all want a striker,even Arsenal supporters( despite  beating Liverpool) are moaning about not havng an out and out striker.So what chance have we got? We are not prepared to pay the wages and the required fee.But we do have a fantastic training facility and a good ground,we are premiership ready ask anyone!

33 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

And I'd add that this is consistent across both managers. My xG includes pens and my goals for include pens and OGs.

Pearson - xG 16 - goals 15. 14 league games.

Manning - xG 16 - goals 17. 15 league games.

It's an issue with the squad personnel not with the coaching/tactics imo.

Where did you get that xG from?