IGNORED

A striker…

Sounds like tonight the biggest issue we had was scoring despite numerous good chances.

Goes to show again that we had to bring someone in last month and failed to do us. Will most likely cost us more than once between now and the end of the season.

Edit: was there a reason Mebude wasn’t involved tonight?

Edited by formerly known as ivan
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 2

4 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Sounds like tonight the biggest issue we had was scoring despite numerous good chances.

Goes to show again that we had to bring someone in last month and failed to do us. Will most likely cost us more than once between now and the end of the season.

Mebude couldn't play because he wasn't our player when the first match happened. There were some recent Forest signings in the same boat I believe 

Mebude wasn’t eligible for the initial tie which meant he couldn’t feature tonight. We’re targeting a forward in the summer so yea, I think it’s all about next season now. And then I’m sure it will be about the season after, etc etc 🤣

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Agree to an extent. But also we simply need to get this striker signing right, we’re clearly wanting to commit a bit of money to get someone in who’s going to be that main man for us.

And based on BT’s comments we likely have some options up our sleeve. No point paying over the odds in January especially when you consider our league position making it unlikely to be threatening either end of the table.

If we had sat in the play offs going into January then I’m quite sure we’d have done some more aggressive business. But really no need to panic and pay over the odds now. It’s sensible and strategic. We also don’t end up paying for a Diony, Rodri etc etc.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

It’s been mentioned on here about 15 times this week that anyone signed after the first game couldn’t be involved in the replay.

Forest had 3 players missing because of this, I believe.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Mebude wasn’t eligible for the initial tie which meant he couldn’t feature tonight. We’re targeting a forward in the summer so yea, I think it’s all about next season now. And then I’m sure it will be about the season after, etc etc 🤣

Maybe next season they’ll do half season tickets, for the first half of the season. Then we can decide in January whether to buy the other half.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It’s been mentioned on here about 15 times this week that anyone signed after the first game couldn’t be involved in the replay.

I didn’t mean for just this game, although I wasn’t aware of that rule.

In general, the lack of a quality striker is clearly an issue that wasn’t addressed. Conway blows hot and cold, Wells has seen his best years come and go.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Agree to an extent. But also we simply need to get this striker signing right, we’re clearly wanting to commit a bit of money to get someone in who’s going to be that main man for us.

And based on BT’s comments we likely have some options up our sleeve. No point paying over the odds in January especially when you consider our league position making it unlikely to be threatening either end of the table.

If we had sat in the play offs going into January then I’m quite sure we’d have done some more aggressive business. But really no need to panic and pay over the odds now. It’s sensible and strategic. We also don’t end up paying for a Diony, Rodri etc etc.

After our win at Watford on boxing day we were one point off 6th! We absolutely should be going for it in January and seizing the opportunity. Otherwise we sell our best players in the summer to 'balance the books' and we are back to square one! 

• Like 5
  • Flames 3

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

In general, the lack of a quality striker is clearly an issue that wasn’t addressed. Conway blows hot and cold, Wells has seen his best years come and go.

Perhaps they tried and couldn’t get what they wanted, either through players preferring elsewhere or their clubs not wanting to sell important players. The sort of proven striker we require does not come cheap and is rarely available in Jan. As irritating as it might be the inability to secure a top end striker in Jan is not a stick to beat the club with, certainly it’s a fair one in Aug if we fail to bring anyone in, but not now.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JAWS said:

After our win at Watford on boxing day we were one point off 6th! We absolutely should be going for it in January and seizing the opportunity. Otherwise we sell our best players in the summer to 'balance the books' and we are back to square one! 

We need not sell our best for the foreseeable.

Conway the only possible exception, the lack of a new contract being agreed maybe an issue..

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Conway the only possible exception, the lack of a new contract being agreed maybe an issue..

I think Pring may be an inevitable sell as well. So that’s another replacement on the list. 

31 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

You had me at 'sounds like'.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Forget about it........it was just about impossible to sign a quality striker in the Jan window.   I believe the players are starting to get the hang of LM'S tactics and how he prefers to play, add a good striker, Max Bird and one or two others and I am looking forward to next season?...........Even a cynic like me, can see good times ahead............?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's not gonna happen though Pop is it. Lansclowns model relies on player sales. It seems our best opportunities have come in January to go for it but when we don't we have to.start over again because of that model & we can't build on it. We needed a quality striker in the summer but Lansclown withheld funds from NP & they had 4 months to line one up should our prospects look good & they did! 

The same has happened on numerous occasions going as far back as signing Adebola under GJ which changed our successful style of play. Then when we had momentum under LJ and went for cheap.options like diony. Same under Cotts after promotion and now another opportunity passed up.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Forget about it........it was just about impossible to sign a quality striker in the Jan window.   I believe the players are starting to get the hang of LM'S tactics and how he prefers to play, add a good striker, Max Bird and one or two others and I am looking forward to next season?...........Even a cynic like me, can see good times ahead............?

Not if you really want to & have ambition and a pair of balls! 

• Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, James54De said:

I think Pring may be an inevitable sell as well. So that’s another replacement on the list. 

Don't see why. No book value to worry about, 2 years left..chances are 3 less strong sides coming down, I'd say now is the time to keep as much together as possible and see how we can build on the base.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Give it a rest will you Mr I'm always Angry. Maybe the OP hasn't seen the 15 times this week, take a frigging chill pill.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, JAWS said:

It's not gonna happen though Pop is it. Lansclowns model relies on player sales. It seems our best opportunities have come in January to go for it but when we don't we have to.start over again because of that model & we can't build on it. We needed a quality striker in the summer but Lansclown withheld funds from NP & they had 4 months to line one up should our prospects look good & they did! 

The same has happened on numerous occasions going as far back as signing Adebola under GJ which changed our successful style of play. Then when we had momentum under LJ and went for cheap.options like diony. Same under Cotts after promotion and now another opportunity passed up.

I get the player sale model, I also understand that past sales fed into FFP.

Under LJ we were close to the FFP limits that January fwiw. Coukd we have spent better? Totally yes.

Adebola January 2008, that January was a major wasted opportunity. FFP didn't exist then.

The heavy lifting has passed and I hope we will at worst sell Conway hopefully not at all and keep as settled a squad for 2024-25 season and build on it without going nuts financially.

Whether we will take rbus opportunity time will tell but a sale isn't a must. In Janaury 2023 with Semenyo it was, with Scott it was just inevitable even if not fully required.

51 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Exactly right. 

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Our best striker was taken off too early

Mebude wasn’t eligible

Missing so many chances cost us a game v Man Utd and the added income that will bring, our failure to bring in a proven striker this last window has also killed off the rest of this season.

Thankfully its likely, though not certain our defence will keep us clear of relegation.

We are now to believe BT has a few 6 foot no9`s in the pipeline for the summer (cynic in me says is this a season ticket seller) anyway not a lot we can do except hope for better times ahead.

Would be no suprise to see quite a few of the starting eleven, last night departing this summer as the latest re-build continues in ernest.

1 hour ago, mason said:

our failure to bring in a proven striker this last window has also killed off the rest of this season.

You're not the first person to say this, so I'd be interested to hear some possible and sensible names.
I don't keep up on the possible signing thread so I would be genuinely interested . 

I know we were linked with Al Hamadi , but he's not proven. Unlikely we will spend near our record , so even if we had say £5m who is there ?

Proven Championship striker, available in January , that wouldn't smash out wages budget = rocking horse shit.  

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

You're not the first person to say this, so I'd be interested to hear some possible and sensible names.
I don't keep up on the possible signing thread so I would be genuinely interested . 

I know we were linked with Al Hamadi , but he's not proven. Unlikely we will spend near our record , so even if we had say £5m who is there ?

Proven Championship striker, available in January , that wouldn't smash out wages budget = rocking horse shit.  

This is a football forum but essentially It’s not the fans job to recruit a striker but no doubt we’ll wildly speculate about who City should sign.

Personally I think we need someone like Steve Brooker was who when fit was an excellent CF with all the necessary qualities but was too injury prone. 

I’m very confident that BT and Manning have a CF at the top of their summer shopping list but we’ll just have to wait and see who’ll it’ll be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

This is a football forum but essentially It’s not the fans job to recruit a striker but no doubt we’ll wildly speculate about who City should sign.

Personally I think we need someone like Steve Brooker was who when fit was an excellent CF with all the necessary qualities but was too injury prone. 

I’m very confident that BT and Manning have a CF at the top of their summer shopping list but we’ll just have to wait and see who’ll it’ll be.

You completely miss the point of my post.

Anyone can say we should have signed an experienced striker and ignore the situation, availability and financial restraints and just the all round difficulty of the January window.
But let's go down that route and say the Club have been shit, for not signing a modern day Paul Cheesley , even though they may not exist , and spend £20m , money we don't have , and if we did and he was , why would his Club let him go ???
Then you say you're confident we will do business in the summer, even though the post is about not signing someone in January !!!

• Like 2