IGNORED

A striker…

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Where did you get that xG from?

I've been collecting it myself for 5 years now.

I take 3 different freely available xG values from each game (Fbref, FotMob and Footy Stats) and average them out. Footy Stats seems a bit more generous in it's values but it acts as a counter balance to the other two.

Then I add the averaged numbers up and round them to the nearest whole number for ease.

It is league only as cup games don't always have data available for them.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, JAWS said:

I back LM too & hope he is backed himself by SL but seen enough in the 22 yrs of SL reign to know its unlikely to happen. There was no need to change manager, we were heading in the right direction. It was an excuse cos NP called them out.

It's one thing saying you have ambition to your public but another thing to back it up. What evidence do you have of us showing ambition?

It is completely dependent on your POV?   I think NP did a fantastic job of clearing out the deadwood, stabilising our finances and establishing us as a secure Championship club.    I think his dismissal was handled abysmally, and after he had achieved so much,  he deserved to be treated with more respect.   However we will never know if he would have got us promoted, maybe?, maybe not?

The club decided to go in a new direction, with a young coach, who spent his time on the training ground, rather than in the office, I personally can see the long term logic in that, some don't?   Whether you like it or not, that shows ambition.  As to whether it is misguided ambition depends on your outlook.   I think it was a good move, and believe it will succeed in the long run....others would have preferred NP to have remained in the job, and to have been given funds.   I think it was ambitious to appoint a young tracksuit coach.....you do NOT....it is all about opinion?   All we can do is sit back and see what develops, because Nigel is NOT coming back.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

It is completely dependent on your POV?   I think NP did a fantastic job of clearing out the deadwood, stabilising our finances and establishing us as a secure Championship club.    I think his dismissal was handled abysmally, and after he had achieved so much,  he deserved to be treated with more respect.   However we will never know if he would have got us promoted, maybe?, maybe not?

The club decided to go in a new direction, with a young coach, who spent his time on the training ground, rather than in the office, I personally can see the long term logic in that, some don't?   Whether you like it or not, that shows ambition.  As to whether it is misguided ambition depends on your outlook.   I think it was a good move, and believe it will succeed in the long run....others would have preferred NP to have remained in the job, and to have been given funds.   I think it was ambitious to appoint a young tracksuit coach.....you do NOT....it is all about opinion?   All we can do is sit back and see what develops, because Nigel is NOT coming back.

What do you think Euell and Fleming were doing, brewing the tea for Nige ? seriously...sat in an office what evidence do you actually have of that ?

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

What do you think Euell and Fleming were doing, brewing the tea for Nige ? seriously...sat in an office what evidence do you actually have of that ?

I think you touch upon a key point here.  Euell and Fleming did the day to day coaching (Mountain too) and Nige mainly observed.

I’m not suggesting @maxjak thinks this, but there are some that think the players came in and played head-tennis all day.

There are pros and cons of the approach to head-coach and manager.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Nigel Pearson did practically no coaching...........I never referred to Euell and Fleming.  The subject of my post was Nigel Pearson.  So Please do not make up untruths to suit your own agenda . 

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Nor did that bloke Ferguson.....

If you want to compare Nigel Pearson With Alex Ferguson that's fine.    I was making the point that NP did barely any coaching, it was not a criticism, merely an observation

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

If you want to compare Nigel Pearson With Alex Ferguson that's fine.    I was making the point that NP did barely any coaching, it was not a criticism, merely an observation

surely thats because he was a manager, not a head coach. if im not mistaken, Euell was our head coach and he was on the grass coaching.

So yes,your observation was right but to make it fair, how much time is tinnion now spending on the grass as he has effectively taken over Nigels job, at least thats how i understand the changes made.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, maxjak said:

But you were using him not doing much coaching as a positive for us making a change. You're trying to portray as players wern't being coached and now we've got someone in who will coach them.

When in fact Pearson may have not been hands on with the coaching but he delegated to two excellent coaches who did the coaching whilst he observed, just like Sir Alex did throughout his career. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I reckon too if not for health and I'd have kept him either way btw and given a new contract and backing, NP would have been a lot more visibly involved on the grass anyway.

NP sides at their best harness a real spirit and togetherness, cohesiveness. You can't do that if detached and tbh we were well on our way and he left us in an excellent place despite all of the challenges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But you were using him not doing much coaching as a positive for us making a change. You're trying to portray as players wern't being coached and now we've got someone in who will coach them.

When in fact Pearson may have not been hands on with the coaching but he delegated to two excellent coaches who did the coaching whilst he observed, just like Sir Alex did throughout his career. 

Of course NP designated 2 coaches to look after the training.  You are misinterpreting what i said.  NP did not spend much time, himself, on the training pitch, that is a fact, and all  that i said.........you are reading something else into my words, just to be contentious.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Of course NP designated 2 coaches to look after the training.  You are misinterpreting what i said.  NP did not spend much time, himself, on the training pitch, that is a fact, and all  that i said.........you are reading something else into my words, just to be contentious.  

You said having a young coach spending time on the training ground rather than in the office show’s ambition, but as others have pointed out, we had two excellent coaches on the training ground so how does it show ambition?. It’s taking a different approach I accept, but I can’t see how it shows ambition. 

• Flames 2

6 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

You said having a young coach spending time on the training ground rather than in the office show’s ambition, but as others have pointed out, we had two excellent coaches on the training ground so how does it show ambition?. It’s taking a different approach I accept, but I can’t see how it shows ambition. 

For me, trying something new shows ambition.   Ambition is -  "A strong wish to achieve something"               Maybe it will be successful , maybe it will fail?........but the powers that be, decided to try something new and different. .  Like it or Not, and you may consider it foolhardy, but it cannot be denied that it is ambitious?   

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

I think we might need to be careful with statements like the above.  Nigel spent plenty of time on the training pitches, just that a lot of it was observational, just like Dave Rennie did too.  What Nigel did was let his assistant manager (Fleming) and his coach (Euell) run the sessions themselves.  Nige was a prowler on the perimeter.  He wasn’t there all the time, admittedly.  He liked the players to hear different voices, so that on the occasions where he did speak it meant something.  He said he didn’t want to be in their ears every session.

• Like 2
  • Flames 4

59 minutes ago, maxjak said:

For me, trying something new shows ambition.   Ambition is -  "A strong wish to achieve something"               Maybe it will be successful , maybe it will fail?........but the powers that be, decided to try something new and different. .  Like it or Not, and you may consider it foolhardy, but it cannot be denied that it is ambitious?   

As has been mentioned earlier, it’s all about personal pov’s.  

My take on us trying something new yet again isn’t ambition, it’s an indication of an owner who really doesn’t know what he wants and is constantly flip flopping between strategies, in the hope of eventually finding a winning formula.

I’m wracking my brain to try and remember just one new managerial appointment that SL which has been a continuity appointment, rather than a lurch in one direction or another and requiring substantial changes in playing staff to accomodate the new manager/head coach’s style.

I think I’ll settle for foolhardy when referring to Lansdown Snr, as he’s definitely found a surefire way of losing £millions of his fortune on a consistent basis, whilst the club stand still at best!

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we might need to be careful with statements like the above.  Nigel spent plenty of time on the training pitches, just that a lot of it was observational, just like Dave Rennie did too.  What Nigel did was let his assistant manager (Fleming) and his coach (Euell) run the sessions themselves.  Nige was a prowler on the perimeter.  He wasn’t there all the time, admittedly.  He liked the players to hear different voices, so that on the occasions where he did speak it meant something.  He said he didn’t want to be in their ears every session.

That approach seems to have been successful over the years. As you say fevs, when he does interact it has more effect. It seemed to be working with us but as mentioned above he said too much & that was the ultimate reason for a managerial change

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Only the other day Gary Neville said Ferguson did very little coaching but employed the likes of McClaren and Queiroz to do that.

But what does Sir Alex know compared to Jon and Brian eh?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Blimey......I am not gonna post for a while..........I am fed up with   ongoing pedants analysing every iota, and picking over each semantic meaning.........I think i will stick to reading all of the balanced and constantly logical posts that appear on here on a daily basis?  Ha!   😍   

12 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Blimey......I am not gonna post for a while..........I am fed up with   ongoing pedants analysing every iota, and picking over each semantic meaning.........I think i will stick to reading all of the balanced and constantly logical posts that appear on here on a daily basis?  Ha!   😍   

I'm not sure what is pedantic about facts, which is what Dave stated. Unless you are a fan of George W Bush and his objection to the 'reality based community'. 😉

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'm not sure what is pedantic about facts, which is what Dave stated. Unless you are a fan of George W Bush and his objection to the 'reality based community'. 😉

Tbh I’m only stating what we heard from Nige in interviews and what Rennie said also….and giving my view of how potentially misleading it can be to state about time on the training pitches.  We saw countless Robins Uncut videos with Nige present, just not doing the coaching per se.

It’s why I also started the post with “we might”….posters can post what they like ultimately.

On 07/02/2024 at 23:57, Mr Popodopolous said:

I get the player sale model, I also understand that past sales fed into FFP.

Under LJ we were close to the FFP limits that January fwiw. Coukd we have spent better? Totally yes.

Adebola January 2008, that January was a major wasted opportunity. FFP didn't exist then.

The heavy lifting has passed and I hope we will at worst sell Conway hopefully not at all and keep as settled a squad for 2024-25 season and build on it without going nuts financially.

Whether we will take rbus opportunity time will tell but a sale isn't a must. In Janaury 2023 with Semenyo it was, with Scott it was just inevitable even if not fully required.

Thinking ahead and business in & out this summer, would it be a disaster if we sold Conway & Pring?

We have a ready made and very good LB who would slot in to Pring’s position. 

Bringing in a new No9 who fits the profile we require and a No10 (Twine) would give us what is required. I do wonder if we should cut our losses with Cornick and let Wells go also and make Dire permanent which still means we probably need another striker/attacker perhaps 

Midfield will likely see some churn and we will be blessed with some young talented and very technically good players albeit I would like to see Williams stay as he has been very good the past 3 months now he’s playing regularly but he is also a character and leader within the squad

Defence, Atkinson, Vyner, Naismith, Dickie as options for a central 2 or back 3 looks solid with Tanner as an option also

First choice RB/RWB should be McCrorie and if Pring is sold then Roberts LB/LWB

A lot riding on the No9 & No10 roles next season as every other position we appear to have cover and quality

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Tbh I’m only stating what we heard from Nige in interviews and what Rennie said also….and giving my view of how potentially misleading it can be to state about time on the training pitches.  We saw countless Robins Uncut videos with Nige present, just not doing the coaching per se.

It’s why I also started the post with “we might”….posters can post what they like ultimately.

Of course they can, even if what they say is contradicted by the evidence. It's rather that their case falls down particularly if we have actually seen the evidence with our own eyes, as you describe.

But perhaps I'm being pedantic😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

Thinking ahead and business in & out this summer, would it be a disaster if we sold Conway & Pring?

We have a ready made and very good LB who would slot in to Pring’s position. 

Bringing in a new No9 who fits the profile we require and a No10 (Twine) would give us what is required. I do wonder if we should cut our losses with Cornick and let Wells go also and make Dire permanent which still means we probably need another striker/attacker perhaps 

Midfield will likely see some churn and we will be blessed with some young talented and very technically good players albeit I would like to see Williams stay as he has been very good the past 3 months now he’s playing regularly but he is also a character and leader within the squad

Defence, Atkinson, Vyner, Naismith, Dickie as options for a central 2 or back 3 looks solid with Tanner as an option also

First choice RB/RWB should be McCrorie and if Pring is sold then Roberts LB/LWB

A lot riding on the No9 & No10 roles next season as every other position we appear to have cover and quality

Pring I would say needless, Conway we may have a decision to make.

All IMO if course.

10 hours ago, maxjak said:

It’s not something new though, having a manager was new, replacing him with a head coach is returning to type, LJ ring any bells?