IGNORED

South Stand

RedM

25 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Says somebody who doesn't have kids presumably.

Why should I be forced to either leave the seat I've been sitting in for years, or pay £100 extra, just so my son can sit with me?

There’s no one size fits all here but I’m responding to one of the main complaints around a significant proportion of SS being empty every week.

There is a compromise of course, any NEW child season tickets must be within the family area.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, CityReds said:

There’s no one size fits all here but I’m responding to one of the main complaints around a significant proportion of SS being empty every week.

There is a compromise of course, any NEW child season tickets must be within the family area.

But that’s in no way a compromise and is totally unworkable. I had a ST before I had kids. When I got my kids STs I got them in the area where I sat, as opposed to moving lock stock to another area and running the risk that when they outgrew the family area that my existing seats would have gone elsewhere.

Most kids start going to city because their parents were/are fans and those parents will have their own areas where they have sat for years. Saying new child STs can only be in the family area in view of that is nonsensical.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

But that’s in no way a compromise and is totally unworkable. I had a ST before I had kids. When I got my kids STs I got them in the area where I sat, as opposed to moving lock stock to another area and running the risk that when they outgrew the family area that my existing seats would have gone elsewhere.

Most kids start going to city because their parents were/are fans and those parents will have their own areas where they have sat for years. Saying new child STs can only be in the family area in view of that is nonsensical.

I’m purely talking about, if you want a cheap kids season ticket, you go in the Family Area, I wasn’t explicit in my previous post so apologies. If you don’t, you pay a premium for staying where you are.

I’ve said it before, the growing of our fan base in recent years is a success story and much of that is probably to do with getting kids involved and watching the team from an early age. 

Talk of removing cheap kids tickets or withdrawing the offer of a free shirt because a few people might not be attending is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I’ve said it before, the growing of our fan base in recent years is a success story and much of that is probably to do with getting kids involved and watching the team from an early age. 

Talk of removing cheap kids tickets or withdrawing the offer of a free shirt because a few people might not be attending is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. 

I totally agree but I’ve not seen mention of removing cheap kids tickets, purely the restriction of where the cheapest kids tickets should be and the ridiculous rule of allowing someone to “upgrade” a child’s shirt for an adults one.

10 minutes ago, CityReds said:

I totally agree but I’ve not seen mention of removing cheap kids tickets, purely the restriction of where the cheapest kids tickets should be and the ridiculous rule of allowing someone to “upgrade” a child’s shirt for an adults one.

If you restricted cheap season tickets to just the family section then many just wouldn’t bother.

In my case they wouldn’t have had 8 years of me buying an adults season ticket to go along with my sons U12’s. 

As it is, my son’s now hooked, I’m paying for his in the next catagory up with the likelihood that he will start paying for an adults ticket when the time comes for that. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

If you restricted cheap season tickets to just the family section then many just wouldn’t bother.

In my case they wouldn’t have had 8 years of me buying an adults season ticket to go along with my sons U12’s. 

As it is, my son’s now hooked, I’m paying for his in the next catagory up with the likelihood that he will start paying for an adults ticket when the time comes for that. 

So if a season ticket was:

Dolman/SS £100

Family Area £50

You wouldn't have bothered?

• Admin
2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Because that would be the cost.

Another issue is the steep rise on price between ages 21 and 22. My daughters season ticket will double in price this year. I probably won't renew as she only gets to about a dozen games, so will be cheaper to buy a membership. We the won't have seats together so will have to look for 2 empty ones, elsewhere.

The problem is that there is always going to be a jump somewhere in pricing due to the extremes of pricing we use 

Don't forget as a season ticket holder you can move your seat for free on a number of games should a seat not be available near you 

A few years ago in the Dolman had a group of tickets, we used to leave a random seat in the middle unselected purely for the reason if a mate was coming they could have the option to buy the seat, if not it often went to someone on their own 

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

There's been no talk anywhere about removing the scheme, that's important to note before people start taking that as gospel 

But what does need resolving is the number of empty seats every week

It would be interesting if those that have already shared a photo in this thread could take the same angle tomorrow and see if it looks like the same unused seats? 

8 minutes ago, CityReds said:

Fair, would have opened up a seat for two full paying adult season tickets who can’t get in the SS and can’t buy in the family area

Would have also meant I wouldn’t have been going regularly since 2015 though. Since then I’d say I’ve spent well over £1k per season at AG. 

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I wouldn't bother either. 

Went in the upper lansdown once before, nah never again

Somehow the club needs to protect the scheme for people like me and you who use it genuinely and the many others that also do. 

But the weeding out those who are not using it genuinely. 

I've moved to the lower Lansdown during this season so I'm not sure what im going to do next season as will be hard to find 3 seats together in the south stand. 

That leads me on to my next point. Because of these empty sold seats, the choice for families who may went to buy a season ticket is to either go in the upper lansdown or pay higher prices elsewhere in the ground. I can see that putting quite a few people off like it would have put you and me off. 

• Like 1

On 16/02/2024 at 09:01, IAmNick said:

There would I'm sure.

I sit in the central Lansdown just in front of the posh seats and every game, 5 minutes or so into each half, there's a steady influx of people without tickets wandering up, standing around, and trying to find seats - usually in the more expensive bit.

I don't actually care about them sitting there too much, but it's a pain in the arse with them moving around, getting in the way, sometimes then getting kicked out and doing it all in reverse etc. while I'm trying to watch the game.

But If they in the ground. Then they have a season or match day ticket. To get in the ground. So why not sit in the seat they have purchased? 

I have seen this happen once or twice in lower Lansdown, W16 &E17 and even in family blocks. Where I go when grandsons come too.

On 15/02/2024 at 16:51, GrahamC said:

On Tuesday I think there is the additional factor that it was on Sky, I know several ST holders who don’t live within walking distance (like me) so rarely bother to attend these games due to the difficulty in parking & then getting away afterwards.

I also think there are as usual a fair few South Stand ST holders who move into any vacant (much nicer) seats in the Lansdown, exacerbating this issue.

They also get into the corner.  It was ridiculously overcrowded v West Ham.

I think the main point is there are too many games.  I can't believe that clubs would really lose out if they lost a couple of evening home games a season.  Our actual crowds for some are really low. Club still have to fork out for stewards etc but probably take very little in terms of matchday revenue. 

On 16/02/2024 at 12:35, Harry said:

I must admit. Until recently I always thought the cheap kids tickets (with free shirt) were only available in the upper Lansdown family stand. 

Only in the last couple of months I’ve seen comments on here about it being available elsewhere too. 

Seems a bit baffling to me. I always thought the cheap family tickets were only for the family stand. 

So I agree with your idea. 

I had Sts for my 3 kids in all 4 stands over the years.

19 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

But they might have had 8 years of someone else buying an adult season ticket and the same 8 years of someone buying 2 tickets in the family section.

I haven’t read the whole of this thread so this has probably already been mentioned, but one of the problems is the cumbersome system for transferring a ticket. Every now and then my daughter can’t make games. In the past I’d give my daughter’s season card to my step-daughter to use, but now with it being a pain in the backside to transfer the ticket the seat is just left empty instead. 

3 minutes ago, Offside said:

I haven’t read the whole of this thread so this has probably already been mentioned, but one of the problems is the cumbersome system for transferring a ticket. Every now and then my daughter can’t make games. In the past I’d give my daughter’s season card to my step-daughter to use, but now with it being a pain in the backside to transfer the ticket the seat is just left empty instead. 

I found it surprisingly easy when I did it. 

On 15/02/2024 at 17:29, spudski said:

The park and ride isn't 24/7. 

From memory the times don't often suit night games..

There is little logic with our councils. Not fit for purpose. 

The park and rides are superb in the clubs defence

They sort of circle the ground so how they are not convenient for some and they prefer to trawl around Ashton trying to get closer is beyond me

• Like 1

On 16/02/2024 at 15:33, phantom said:

Random thought, but is it the free shirt or the cheap ticket that could be the problem?

If it's the shirt I wonder if the club stipulated that you only got your shirt once the ticket had been used for XX number of games?

Say attend 10 games to get a voucher for the shirt?

Just take the ticket and scan it, there’ll always be a way around it

5 hours ago, The Bard said:

I had Sts for my 3 kids in all 4 stands over the years.

Yep but I mean the free shirt offer thingy. I always thought that was only the upper Lansdown but apparently not 

6 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

But If they in the ground. Then they have a season or match day ticket. To get in the ground. So why not sit in the seat they have purchased? 

I have seen this happen once or twice in lower Lansdown, W16 &E17 and even in family blocks. Where I go when grandsons come too.

Buy a cheaper ticket and then sit in a more expensive one.

9 hours ago, Offside said:

I had to do this for the Southampton match as I was away with work. It was a quick call to supporters services and I had the tickets emailed to me to forward on within 5 mins. It was really very easy to do!

16 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Why? That seems pointless to me. A ticket is a ticket. I do not see we have any bad seats or views in the ground. 

There may not be any bad seats or views but the club price some areas higher than others and because the concourses are all open and allow access into all areas then people will pay a lower price but can sit in higher priced areas.

Just now, Back of the Dolman said:

There may not be any bad seats or views but the club price some areas higher than others and because the concourses are all open and allow access into all areas then people will pay a lower price but can sit in higher priced areas.

Ok I must be missing something here. But why would anyone feel the need, want, or desire to sit in a seat they have not bought because it's of a higher value than the seat they have paid less money for? Because you gain nothing from being in a higher priced seat at Ashton Gate from what I can see.

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Ok I must be missing something here. But why would anyone feel the need, want, or desire to sit in a seat they have not bought because it's of a higher value than the seat they have paid less money for? Because you gain nothing from being in a higher priced seat at Ashton Gate from what I can see.

Well I certainly think there is a difference in sitting at the centre of the lower Lansdown to sitting in the back corner of the south stand.

the perspective of the game is totally different.

And if there’s no difference then why don’t the club charge the same price for every seat ?

• Like 2