IGNORED

South Stand

RedM

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reckon E34 can be a popular spot, remember last season there were creative attempts to get in there.

******* annoying attempts Mr P. Kids standing in front of people who wanted to sit. Forged tickets for the block and people not even able to reach their seat.

Totally wrong time to plan it.

Not that they made much noise either..

• Thanks 1

Simple answer for the SS kids STs is… we have a Family Area, you want a £50 kids ST with your Adults then you move up there and make SS kids £150 if you still want to stay down there. That will of course just make upper Lansdown empty.

Apparently the actual attendance was about 19k on Tuesday, that’s 4k people who have tickets, not turning up.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

******* annoying attempts Mr P. Kids standing in front of people who wanted to sit. Forged tickets for the block and people not even able to reach their seat.

Totally wrong time to plan it.

Not that they made much noise either..

Yeah I was being somewhat generous tbh Natch. Definitely majorly flawed in reality...

Thought there was the odd game. Swansea 2nd half, Birmingham the week after but it wasn't altogether sustained.

The ticket forgery and seat nicking were completely unacceptable I'd forgotten about the ticket forgery especially.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah I was being somewhat generous tbh Natch. Definitely majorly flawed in reality...

Thought there was the odd gsme. Swansea 2nd half, Birmingham the week after but it wasn't altogether sustained.

The ticket forgery and seat nicking were completely unacceptable I'd forgotten about the ticket forgery especially.

Nothing I wouldnt have been party to aged 16 Mr P tbh but somewhere closer to away fans for those who seek to generate noise would be a good idea and if splitting the Atyeo is a non starter then E34 is the best shout provided existing people could be relocated with desired adjacencies maintained.

20 minutes ago, CityReds said:

Simple answer for the SS kids STs is… we have a Family Area, you want a £50 kids ST with your Adults then you move up there and make SS kids £150 if you still want to stay down there. That will of course just make upper Lansdown empty.

Apparently the actual attendance was about 19k on Tuesday, that’s 4k people who have tickets, not turning up.

I must admit. Until recently I always thought the cheap kids tickets (with free shirt) were only available in the upper Lansdown family stand. 

Only in the last couple of months I’ve seen comments on here about it being available elsewhere too. 

Seems a bit baffling to me. I always thought the cheap family tickets were only for the family stand. 

So I agree with your idea. 

19 hours ago, RedM said:

I've seen this a few times. My ST ticket is as I said in the Dolman but if a workmate cannot attend I use their ST's and sit in the Lansdown. Often I have got to their seat and someone is sitting there, I advise them it's my seat and they move without problem (as they aren't meant to be there, and obviously don't want to draw attention to this). They often move a few seats or rows away until the same thing happens! I have seen stewards occasionally ask other people to leave the Lansdown stand and point to where they are meant to be, eg the SS or even the Dolman! But no, it's certainly not monitored very well.

I think since the season ticket has been moved to our phone far fewer people give their seat to someone when they can't make it. Its too complicated for many (inc me) to arrange the E transfer

I think this creates less income for the club from food and drinks

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah, it’s a commercial as opposed to a moral argument.

In any industry, on a basic risk management aspect though, if the cost of controlling the risk exceeds the potential loss from the risk you accept the risk. Thats all the club are doing here so until the financials move, don’t expect change. 

It's interesting that if we ever did get to a point where there was enough demand for STs that we needed a waiting list/ballot, and POTD always sold out, then the economics flips and STs actually become bad for the club.

At that point you start to want to sell more POTD tickets as they go for £40 a game rather than £20 a game that you charge STs.

This is only an issue for probably the six biggest clubs in the country, but it's why you see Liverpool and Leeds etc putting caps on the number of STs they sell.

Maguire etc al discuss the economics of STs v POTD on their podcast quite often.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Swede said:

I'm a season ticket holder & I now live outside of Bristol so tend to miss the midweek games especially the 8pm kick offs with work commitments the following day. Having spent many years when I lived there navigating the chaotic traffic conditions in Bristol, such as the Cattle Market Road access into the City being closed off, its just a complete ball ache getting out of Bristol for a night match.

I chose to support the club by buying my season ticket knowing that I would miss quite a few midweek matches. It's my choice.

I know others who use the park and ride services which can be just as chaotic especially the closer you get to kick off the buses inevitably use the same council congested roads.

It always makes me laugh when you can get 60,000 fans out of the London Stadium quicker & with the minimum of fuss than the 24,000 in Bristol. The city is so backward thinking when it comes to public transport. The clue is the successful underground/overland train.

Make it reliable so people don't have to think about it and it will get used, simple.

Don’t worry all will resolved soon , i read somewhere there are plans in place for a Bristol metro system and railway link from portishead .

opps hang on just spotted the date at the top of the evening post 1986 , 

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

I must admit. Until recently I always thought the cheap kids tickets (with free shirt) were only available in the upper Lansdown family stand. 

Only in the last couple of months I’ve seen comments on here about it being available elsewhere too. 

Seems a bit baffling to me. I always thought the cheap family tickets were only for the family stand. 

So I agree with your idea. 

£55 under 12 season tickets in upper landsdown and south stand , then are mostly about £100 elsewhere and up to £150 landsdown centre . All under 12s get a free shirt 

16 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

It was from a Yougov poll. It is indirectly relevant as many of the remaining 94% will having working hours that make it difficult to attend fixtures that have been moved. I accept that some people will find it beneficial as you do, but personally I would not buy a season ticket if I was unable to make Saturday games as this is when games are traditionally played. 

You make the parking sound so easy. It's a wonder so many people have trouble with it. 

That study was based around flexibility (and it's 6 years old, including pre-covid) so the people not working 9-5 incuded people working 7-3/8-4 or working longer hours. Also found that almost half had more flexible patterns included condensed work hours and job sharing.

So if you're trying to argue that 94% of people don't work Monday - Friday in "traditional" working hours and therefore can't make certain game times then I don't think that poll is really relevant.

I could equally argue that almost half of people have a flexible working arragement that means they could get away early for an evening game, or shift their hours about? 

As for parking, it just depends how close you want to be to the ground. Could definitely be improved of course, and some people can't walk too far, but I always manage and walk 15-20 mins to the ground

45 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Nothing I wouldnt have been party to aged 16 Mr P tbh but somewhere closer to away fans for those who seek to generate noise would be a good idea and if splitting the Atyeo is a non starter then E34 is the best shout provided existing people could be relocated with desired adjacencies maintained.

Yeah I get that Natch.

Must be done correctly though, the intent early 2023 was in some ways good, the execution and haste terrible. E34 could be of use but as you say must be done correctly, relocation and adjacencies all factored.

Feels like something needs to change though E34 or not.positive atmosphere has been despite the hierarchy in recent years. Seemed more amenable in the past ie belatedly splitting the East End as was.

25 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think since the season ticket has been moved to our phone far fewer people give their seat to someone when they can't make it. Its too complicated for many (inc me) to arrange the E transfer

I think this creates less income for the club from food and drinks

This is The key factor here

At one point recently you could “distribute” your ticket & pass it on via email, super easy! - this option has now disappeared and you have to reassign to a member. This so especially annoying when you want to share with non members, frankly it’s not worth the effort and this so probably why there are empty ST seats around the ground in general. 

• Like 1

I wonder if it is the same at other grounds, the South Stand anomaly.

Such a high ratio of ST in one stand, invariably a % don't attend for the usual range of reasons as is the case at all grounds..maybe it's common place these days but is the problem especially acute in the South Stand?

Otoh...

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/ticketing/32896/tickets-stoke-city-h

Wow look at the Priority list to see the privilege of a Home Ticket vs lower midtable not especially enticing Stoke! Cat B.

When the hell did going to or booking for a 2nd Tier Football game get like this??

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah I get that Natch.

Must be done correctly though, the intent early 2023 was in some ways good, the execution and haste terrible. E34 could be of use but as you say must be done correctly, relocation and adjacencies all factored.

Feels like something needs to change though E34 or not.positive atmosphere has been despite the hierarchy in recent years. Seemed more amenable in the past ie belatedly splitting the East End as was.

Agreed Mr P.

I sense the club is led by the nose on the matter of segregation by over zealous officials when you witness highly volatile matches elsewhere with rival fans (standing) separated by a row of stewards it seems, all the way to pitchside.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I had a Saints mate attend in away end, his view on Ashton Gate was great facilities around the ground, the Lansdown is an impressive stand, but the Atyeo was terrible, concourse tight and facilities poor, felt like the Dell! We do need to find a solution to the Atyeo, it is such a terrible stand which ruins the stadium look and feel. Plus it gives a massive advantage to away fans with the noise they can generate, he was surprised how quiet Ashton Gate was until we scored. 

With respect, I don’t want the away supporters having a good time in a nice concourse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's interesting that if we ever did get to a point where there was enough demand for STs that we needed a waiting list/ballot, and POTD always sold out, then the economics flips and STs actually become bad for the club.

At that point you start to want to sell more POTD tickets as they go for £40 a game rather than £20 a game that you charge STs.

This is only an issue for probably the six biggest clubs in the country, but it's why you see Liverpool and Leeds etc putting caps on the number of STs they sell.

Maguire etc al discuss the economics of STs v POTD on their podcast quite often.

Ipswich capped theirs this season, fwiw

I've sat in the Lansdown for a number of games over the last couple of years, and the issue of a half-empty South Stand seems to be a relatively consistent thing - I don't think it's related to half term, evening games, etc (though those factors may exacerbate the issue).

I struggle to understand it. Are there really season ticket holders (even if on children's tickets) who are attending 10 games of 23 in a season? I get that you can justify it financially, but you'd imagine those who are bothered enough to go about buying a season ticket would also be quite interested in attending the matches!

Is this a problem at other clubs too? I can't remember going to many away games and seeing a half-empty home end on a supposedly "sold-out" matchday.

36 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I struggle to understand it. Are there really season ticket holders (even if on children's tickets) who are attending 10 games of 23 in a season? 

It depends on what you place value on. As it is, kids tickets are essentially worthless.

Little Jonny doesn’t fancy? No problem, extra leg room for £1.  

• Like 1

• Admin

Random thought, but is it the free shirt or the cheap ticket that could be the problem?

If it's the shirt I wonder if the club stipulated that you only got your shirt once the ticket had been used for XX number of games?

Say attend 10 games to get a voucher for the shirt?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Random thought, but is it the free shirt or the cheap ticket that could be the problem?

If it's the shirt I wonder if the club stipulated that you only got your shirt once the ticket had been used for XX number of games?

We don’t know it’s either.

As far as I can see there are three issues here and the ”problem” is likely a culmination of the three:

- Season ticket holders (adults) not turning up for games - as noted, I think a lot of ST holders miss c10% of games for various reasons

- South Stand ticket holders moving elsewhere in the ground for a better view

- Season ticket holders (children) not coming to games. As with the adults, you’d expect 10% of games to be missed but it’s probably higher due to night games etc for kids who genuinely go

The club will have the data here of which STs are scanned in each game. Again, I don’t think they’ll be motivated to do anything until we have consistent sell outs but they’ll know. 

The likely answer is not one of the three groups is big enough in isolation. And I don’t agree with putting prices up for children in the SS - it’s the most affordable area and people don’t want to be in the family area for life so secure seats in the area they want to sit in long term. Equally, I don’t want the time and hassle of having to show my ticket every time I go up the stairs to my seat in the Dolman.

I genuinely don’t think this is that major an issue overall currently and more importantly the club don’t either.

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

With our merchandising the shirt would probably be out of stock by the time we’d played 10 home games 

3 hours ago, CityReds said:

Says somebody who doesn't have kids presumably.

Why should I be forced to either leave the seat I've been sitting in for years, or pay £100 extra, just so my son can sit with me?

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

What if it's used xx times by dads mate ?

4 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Why should I be forced to either leave the seat I've been sitting in for years, or pay £100 extra, just so my son can sit with me?

Because that would be the cost.

Another issue is the steep rise on price between ages 21 and 22. My daughters season ticket will double in price this year. I probably won't renew as she only gets to about a dozen games, so will be cheaper to buy a membership. We the won't have seats together so will have to look for 2 empty ones, elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Yup. 

It’s often missed by people who give the answer “family area” that people have to move to that area, and that they won’t be there for ever!

I’ve recounted before that I sit in the Dolman. I had a season ticket for my son when he was 6 and he went to maybe 4-5 games a season. I did that because I wanted to stay in the seats I had, and not lose them for a move to the family area on a temporary basis (and once kids get to 11 tops, they don’t want to be there). I pay a premium on top of the family area price for his ticket, and from the age of 8 he’s barely missed a game. That’s what a lot of people do, and are more likely to do so their kids can attend in an area where they will end up sitting long term in the future.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

We don’t know it’s either.

As far as I can see there are three issues here and the ”problem” is likely a culmination of the three:

- Season ticket holders (adults) not turning up for games - as noted, I think a lot of ST holders miss c10% of games for various reasons

- South Stand ticket holders moving elsewhere in the ground for a better view

- Season ticket holders (children) not coming to games. As with the adults, you’d expect 10% of games to be missed but it’s probably higher due to night games etc for kids who genuinely go

The club will have the data here of which STs are scanned in each game. Again, I don’t think they’ll be motivated to do anything until we have consistent sell outs but they’ll know. 

The likely answer is not one of the three groups is big enough in isolation. And I don’t agree with putting prices up for children in the SS - it’s the most affordable area and people don’t want to be in the family area for life so secure seats in the area they want to sit in long term. Equally, I don’t want the time and hassle of having to show my ticket every time I go up the stairs to my seat in the Dolman.

I genuinely don’t think this is that major an issue overall currently and more importantly the club don’t either.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the club will review it some day. At the moment they have given out a shirt for a cheap ticket. I thought the shirts were to prevent kids wearing ManU/Chelsea etc shirts in our city and to catch them young, fans for the future etc. Well if the child isn't attending and the parent isn't spending on sweets, burgers, soft drinks etc for them that already money lost? The kid might be happy with the shirt, but if there is no real connection with the club as they don't attend then are they likely to pester for additional shirts or kit? Again money lost perhaps? Meanwhile the adult has plenty of space next to them, the option to upgrade or sneak a mate in on a child's ticket, and most importantly the guarantee of an option to buy for a big name cup tie or playoff game. 

That said the club aren't going to bust a gut and make loads of SS seats for POTD by a buy back scheme for example, they probably think that if a casual fan wants to attend badly enough they will pay for a dearer ticket.

55 minutes ago, phantom said:

And probably getting rid of the ability to upgrade the childs shirt to an adults shirt for a tenner. 

As it stands you can buy a child's season ticket and and adults shirt for a combined 60 quid. It makes no sense. 

• Like 2