IGNORED

South Stand

RedM

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

Definitely.

I know SS SC holders who always go in the Lansdown.

If the club wanted it would be easy to see which seats werent being used and whether full price or kids and could act accordingly or take away the shirt incentive.

Having said that, maybe theres no evidence that those seats would be taken up and the club is happy to keep future (if currently absent) fans ticking over?

I've been saying this all season. 

There needs to be a use it or lose it policy.

As the club provides an option to upgrade the kids shirt to an adults shirt for a tenner then they should look into those that have upgraded the shirt and how many games that u12 ST has been used. If there is a correlation between the two as I suspect there is then send a warning letter and then if it continues to not be used then cancel it. 

I'm also aware of adults using the u12s ST so more robust checks need to be done at the turnstiles and if an adult is found go be using that season ticket then it should be cancelled. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Atyeo I thought was more like 4.2k, but restricted to 3.4k.

Is this yet another decision by our Unaccountable yet all-knowing, all-seeing overlords the SAG?

If there is a sound reason fair enough but publish it and perhaps publish some names or positions.

Isn’t the Atyeo sold to away fans on an unreserved basis? 

We were told in S25/S26 a few years ago, that due to it being unreserved, the club have to leave 10% of those seats unsold.

This is why a few years ago again, we were told this section is no longer unreserved & you should sit/stand in your allocated seat so the club were able to sell that extra 10% (people still go wherever, just unofficially) 

Edited by Carey 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

We've had one Saturday 3pm kick-off at home in 2024. 

In December, we also had only one Saturday 3pm kick off. 

At a time where only ~6% of people work 9-5 hours combined with the number of games that do not kick off on a traditional match day at a traditional time, I think you will continue to see empty seats on a game by game basis. 

Where have you got only 6% of people work “9-5 hours” from? Not sure why that’s specifically relevant here either, it would affect a few people true but there will a fair few who can’t make a Saturday afternoon - eg I’ve managed to make 4/5 more games than I normally would in that time.

I think it’s raised every time about the under 12s ST and that’s probably playing a part - as well as people moving seats, not least because if you have an ST in the Sourh Stand then it’s almost impossible to bring a mate and sit with them.

On the subject of moving seats, I remember as a kid when we were shit enough that my dad and I would move along the Williams to the end we were attacking each game and there was plenty of room 😂

As for getting to the game, there’s loads of parking options in Bedminster and easy enough to get away. 

• Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Where have you got only 6% of people work “9-5 hours” from? Not sure why that’s specifically relevant here either, it would affect a few people true but there will a fair few who can’t make a Saturday afternoon - eg I’ve managed to make 4/5 more games than I normally would in that time.

I think it’s raised every time about the under 12s ST and that’s probably playing a part - as well as people moving seats, not least because if you have an ST in the Sourh Stand then it’s almost impossible to bring a mate and sit with them.

On the subject of moving seats, I remember as a kid when we were shit enough that my dad and I would move along the Williams to the end we were attacking each game and there was plenty of room 😂

As for getting to the game, there’s loads of parking options in Bedminster and easy enough to get away. 

It was from a Yougov poll. It is indirectly relevant as many of the remaining 94% will having working hours that make it difficult to attend fixtures that have been moved. I accept that some people will find it beneficial as you do, but personally I would not buy a season ticket if I was unable to make Saturday games as this is when games are traditionally played. 

You make the parking sound so easy. It's a wonder so many people have trouble with it. 

2 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

We've had one Saturday 3pm kick-off at home in 2024. 

In December, we also had only one Saturday 3pm kick off. 

At a time where only ~6% of people work 9-5 hours combined with the number of games that do not kick off on a traditional match day at a traditional time, I think you will continue to see empty seats on a game by game basis. 

I fully expect more empty seats next season with the new TV deal - more matches on TV and at different times. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

The park and ride isn't 24/7. 

From memory the times don't often suit night games..

There is little logic with our councils. Not fit for purpose. 

Really annoys me as well because of the times it runs, the Park and Rides are of no use to staff who work night shifts at the BRI or other places in the centre of town. Lack of joined up thinking.

As for Tuesday night, a lot more kids attended than other midweek games because it was half term. Maybe the league could try to arrange the midweek fixtures a bit more often around both the October and February school holiday periods. Just a thought - although I accept some might use it as a time to get away!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Remember too, be careful about the snapshots at certain times.

Some games people pour in after kick-off.

There is an exodus 5, 10 mins from halftime not including stoppage time.

Then people are still pouring in after the start of the 2nd half. Queues for beer, toilet, finishing pints etc.

Hence it can mislead but clearly there are a % of no shows for every game too.

Which is why they shouldnt show the game on the concourse tellys.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Really annoys me as well because of the times it runs, the Park and Rides are of no use to staff who work night shifts at the BRI or other places in the centre of town. Lack of joined up thinking.

As for Tuesday night, a lot more kids attended than other midweek games because it was half term. Maybe the league could try to arrange the midweek fixtures a bit more often around both the October and February school holiday periods. Just a thought - although I accept some might use it as a time to get away!

So your frustration with the park and ride isn’t related to its service for football then 

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've been saying this all season. 

There needs to be a use it or lose it policy.

As the club provides an option to upgrade the kids shirt to an adults shirt for a tenner then they should look into those that have upgraded the shirt and how many games that u12 ST has been used. If there is a correlation between the two as I suspect there is then send a warning letter and then if it continues to not be used then cancel it. 

I'm also aware of adults using the u12s ST so more robust checks need to be done at the turnstiles and if an adult is found go be using that season ticket then it should be cancelled. 

The club would rather these kids tickets were used by an adult, rather than that adult not turning up at all. From the horses mouth. (Forgive the pun)

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

So your frustration with the park and ride isn’t related to its service for football then 

Nope it’s just part of a wider problem that the P&R isn’t used as well as it could be both for the football and more generally at night.

Edited by Dr Balls

The photos from this week make me wonder if the problem is less unused child season tickets and more people moving to the Lansdown when there’s plenty of space in there.

Yes, it was half term, but most people don’t go away in February - and I would have expected the fact that kids weren’t at school the next day to mean more would have attended than usual.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

The park and ride isn't 24/7. 

From memory the times don't often suit night games..

There is little logic with our councils. Not fit for purpose. 

Coming from Clevedon via Failand, I park at the Long Ashton park and ride. It's open until 22.30 Mon-Sat. I then walk down to the ground. I think it used to be 22.00, but they've extended it.

The only problem is that it is shut on Sundays and Bank Holidays, which means that I park outside it.

Generally been doing this for the last 5 years without any problems.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

We were told in S25/S26 a few years ago, that due to it being unreserved, the club have to leave 10% of those seats unsold.

This is why a few years ago again, we were told this section is no longer unreserved & you should sit/stand in your allocated seat so the club were able to sell that extra 10% (people still go wherever, just unofficially) 

@Carey 6 I also think that home game to Swansea when it all kicked off a few years ago (yes I know the policing around that day left a lot to be desired) contributed to us limiting the numbers given to away fans.

No surprise that the areas kept clear are those close to the gates, closest to the Lansdown and Dolman stands.

• Like 1

Five empty seats from our usual party as we were all ill. There’s a lot going around. Don’t take the tellies from the concourse cause after queuing ten minutes for a pint during half time I’d miss the start of the second half. If you do take the tellies then replace them with bar staff 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

That could well be it.

Although it only accounts in part for it, assuming 3400 is 90%..That still doesn't account for as per my quick calculation about 423 seats.

It genuinely seems like weird overkill given the stands aren't attached but then again a bigger away following isn't desirable.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

51 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The club would rather these kids tickets were used by an adult, rather than that adult not turning up at all. From the horses mouth. (Forgive the pun)

Jesus. Completely nonsensical. Which horse said this?

Parking and traffic around the gate especially night games is horrendous , more needs to be done to sort it out , what I don’t know but I honestly think it has a big bearing on attendances , could start with a train line from portishead to start with , oh there is one silly me just needs the all clear to sort it out and there’s one area covered , just think if they had started talking about this about 10 years ago it would be up and running by now 

oh hang on 👀🤷

Edited by redkev
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Coming from Clevedon via Failand, I park at the Long Ashton park and ride. It's open until 22.30 Mon-Sat. I then walk down to the ground. I think it used to be 22.00, but they've extended it.

The only problem is that it is shut on Sundays and Bank Holidays, which means that I park outside it.

Generally been doing this for the last 5 years without any problems.

Neil, do you take the short route to/from the ground, or do you walk around the metro (which is only about 5mins longer BTW).

I've noticed the pavement (what there is of it) has been particularly muddy of late.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Exactly. There’s a lot of nonsense being stated on this thread about things that the club aren’t ever going to do when we’re not selling out week in week out and a “use it or lose it” scheme isn’t happening. We’re not Man Utd with a waiting list FFS.

On your point, it’s very similar to what is referred to as leakage in retail. The club know that a small number of adults will use kids season tickets and also that a small number will move to better seats. I’m not saying it’s right, but the club accept this. And the reason is that once that seat is being used, then you get to sell drinks, food etc and make more money off the person in place. It’s naive to think that the person would have shelled for an adult ST, so the club take the approach that some theoretical “loss” of income from getting a child price is acceptable against the income they do get from the ancillary sales. Again, it’s not right morally (and I speak as someone who has a ST), but from a business sense until you are selling out every week it makes total sense.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

On the subject of moving seats, I remember as a kid when we were shit enough that my dad and I would move along the Williams to the end we were attacking each game and there was plenty of room

Used to do that in the old Williams with my kids

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Exactly. There’s a lot of nonsense being stated on this thread about things that the club aren’t ever going to do when we’re not selling out week in week out and a “use it or lose it” scheme isn’t happening. We’re not Man Utd with a waiting list FFS.

On your point, it’s very similar to what is referred to as leakage in retail. The club know that a small number of adults will use kids season tickets and also that a small number will move to better seats. I’m not saying it’s right, but the club accept this. And the reason is that once that seat is being used, then you get to sell drinks, food etc and make more money off the person in place. It’s naive to think that the person would have shelled for an adult ST, so the club take the approach that some theoretical “loss” of income from getting a child price is acceptable against the income they do get from the ancillary sales. Again, it’s not right morally (and I speak as someone who has a ST), but from a business sense until you are selling out every week it makes total sense.

Ought there to be an option to just notify the club that your seat is free (in advance) without necessarily expecting “payment” (in whatever form).

I’m not saying everyone would do it, but I notify the club when I can’t go, in case someone just wants to try a different seat / view.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ought there to be an option to just notify the club that your seat is free (in advance) without necessarily expecting “payment” (in whatever form).

I’m not saying everyone would do it, but I notify the club when I can’t go, in case someone just wants to try a different seat / view.

You might be more altruistic than most Dave! The issue is that it needs absolute certainty you can’t make it each time. I’d support a scheme where you gave advance notice that you can’t go and then it gets passed to a needy group who couldn’t afford to go normally. I’d certainly see that as a good thing to do that the community trust could organise.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

So in the summer we should all just not renew and instead buy u12 season tickets instead, pay a tenner to upgrade to an adults shirt and the club will be happy with me attending 23 games for basically nothing as long as we buy some beers? 

Sorry but I don't agree with your analysis. The South stand is sold out.

Whilst the people getting in for free may not buy a season ticket or buy a potd ticket in the SS, many others would but are currently unable to due to the SS being 'sold out' so there is a direct loss of income that a freeloader isn't going to be making up for by buying a few beers. 

You're making the assumption that if that seat was sold as an adult season ticket then that adult STH wouldn't buy food or drinks too. You're also making an assumption that the freeloader is buying food and drinks. 

That freeloader would need to spend over 20 quid a game to make up for the lost season ticket money and then however much on top of that which an adult season ticket holder would spend. 

A freeloader isn't spending that kind of money on food and drink I'll tell you that now!

It's nonsense to suggest the club would be happy to lose 400 quid in season ticket money because someone may buy a few beers. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

So in the summer we should all just not renew and instead buy u12 season tickets instead, pay a tenner to upgrade to an adults shirt and the club will be happy with me attending 23 games for basically nothing as long as we buy some beers? 

Sorry but I don't agree with your analysis. The South stand is sold out.

Whilst the people getting in for free may not buy a season ticket or buy a potd ticket in the SS, many others would but are currently unable to due to the SS being 'sold out' so there is a direct loss of income that a freeloader isn't going to be making up for by buying a few beers. 

You're making the assumption that if that seat was sold as an adult season ticket then that adult STH wouldn't buy food or drinks too. You're also making an assumption that the freeloader is buying food and drinks. 

That freeloader would need to spend over 20 quid a game to make up for the lost season ticket money and then however much on top of that which an adult season ticket holder would spend. 

A freeloader isn't spending that kind of money on food and drink I'll tell you that now!

It's nonsense to suggest the club would be happy to lose 400 quid in season ticket money because someone may buy a few beers. 

No, I’m really not saying that but congratulations for misreading.

What I’m saying is that a very small proportion of children’s season tickets are used by adults. The club know this. As long as the ground is not sold out they accept it. Because they do get some residual income.

Nobody is saying that we should all buy U12 season tickets. Because a) it’s wrong morally and b) at one point the proportion would be too high and the club would do something.

In base business terms a bum on a seat, irrespective of price, is better than an empty seat. And there are two basic truths there:

- You have opportunity to get some income from that person

- You have no guarantee that the person would attend at full price 

Again, it’s not right, I don’t like it. But commercially x% of something is better than x% of nothing.

Your argument is predicated on the income being available if everyone paid full price and didn’t swing the lead. From a commercial basis, it’s totally naive.

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

No, I’m really not saying that but congratulations for misreading.

What I’m saying is that a very small proportion of children’s season tickets are used by adults. The club know this. As long as the ground is not sold out they accept it. Because they do get some residual income.

Nobody is saying that we should all buy U12 season tickets. Because a) it’s wrong morally and b) at one point the proportion would be too high and the club would do something.

In base business terms a bum on a seat, irrespective of price, is better than an empty seat. And there are two basic truths there:

- You have opportunity to get some income from that person

- You have no guarantee that the person would attend at full price 

Again, it’s not right, I don’t like it. But commercially x% of something is better than x% of nothing.

Your argument is predicated on the income being available if everyone paid full price and didn’t swing the lead. From a commercial basis, it’s totally naive.

Ashton Gate may not be sold out, but the South Stand is. Thats the issue here. 

Many will be willing to pay 385 for a SS season ticket but not willing to pay the 460-675 for a season ticket elsewhere. 

Same thing with potd prices.

The issue is they can't buy them because of the large amount of u12s tickets that are purchased but not used/used by adults. 

If the club suddenly got rid of all u12s tickets in the SS (not suggesting that) then the SS would still sell out so there is a direct loss of income because of the freeloaders and then possibly buying a few beers doesn't make up for that loss income. 

• Like 2