IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers at home match thread

1 hour ago, RollsRoyce said:

Progress????? Where? 

We stole a win at Boro yes, without that we were bottom of the 6 game form table. We played supremely against Southampton, but throw that away when we play like today. I am not sure what progress you have seen in 4 or 5 games, we played well once. I see a very confused team, made worse by not having injury issues and no need to use academy players on the bench. Why are we so poor in so many games? Today required a much better performance with the resources available. The players and coach were collectively sub standard today. We have to hope a week on the training pitch serve up a Southampton type  performance next time out. 

So four games against Premiership sides with only one goal conceded are conveniently forgotten in your analysis???

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, David Brent said:

He seemed to have an issue with Dykes who, to my knowledge, has more goals at this level than Thorpe. 

I remember he did the punditry on the away fixture and he was no fan of Dykes then either.

Pretty sure he said he was better than Dykes even at 40+ years old.

I thought Dykes gave us trouble all afternoon personally 

• Like 1

This may get me some stick, but that performance I put squarely on Manning's head.
Playing that lopsided team with a left wide man but the right sided 10/8 meant McCrorie had no one to pass to in front of him. Every time he got the ball he had to go back. Mehmeti was a passenger the entire time he was out there and bringing Cornick on when Sykes was available seemed like madness. 

Then giving Mebude the responsibility of trying to get us back in a game we were never in was absolutely crazy. He's not even started a game in mens football FFS. 

They played exactly as I thought they would, their Manager has got them playing some decent football and we never looked like we had a plan to hurt them.  That was a performance devoid of ideas and it needed Manning to lead , it never happened . I said a while back I would judge him in February,  as good as Tuesday was, today was clueless. Apparently we had 2 shots to their 7 , I think that sounds right . They deserved to win by more we were pathetic , I have just got home after a few beers but I doubt I will change my opinion come the morning . 

The best bit about today ? I managed to avoid a post game beer with my QPR BiL and mates as I had a quiet one in the Coopers .  One thing I will say, when TC came on he looked like the player of old because he was allowed to move as he wanted, not restricted to the width of the box as he has been tole when playing as a lone striker. 

Manning may well be a good fit, but today with a beer on board, I am not impressed.

• Like 12
  • Flames 1
30 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This may get me some stick, but that performance I put squarely on Manning's head.
Playing that lopsided team with a left wide man but the right sided 10/8 meant McCrorie had no one to pass to in front of him. Every time he got the ball he had to go back. Mehmeti was a passenger the entire time he was out there and bringing Cornick on when Sykes was available seemed like madness. 

Then giving Mebude the responsibility of trying to get us back in a game we were never in was absolutely crazy. He's not even started a game in mens football FFS. 

They played exactly as I thought they would, their Manager has got them playing some decent football and we never looked like we had a plan to hurt them.  That was a performance devoid of ideas and it needed Manning to lead , it never happened . I said a while back I would judge him in February,  as good as Tuesday was, today was clueless. Apparently we had 2 shots to their 7 , I think that sounds right . They deserved to win by more we were pathetic , I have just got home after a few beers but I doubt I will change my opinion come the morning . 

The best bit about today ? I managed to avoid a post game beer with my QPR BiL and mates as I had a quiet one in the Coopers .  One thing I will say, when TC came on he looked like the player of old because he was allowed to move as he wanted, not restricted to the width of the box as he has been tole when playing as a lone striker. 

Manning may well be a good fit, but today with a beer on board, I am not impressed.

Well said 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I think we need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

We are undoubtedly progressing, albeit slowly and you are bound to get good performances with the odd poor performances thrown in.... especially at the end of a mad run of games which we have had.

We need to get the number and regularity of those poor performances reduced and that will happen.

I take the positive view that we have shown in the last 4 or 5 games that we can pay brilliantly and beat anyone on our day - and those type of performances will be repeated going forward....it's the same.players and same coach.

I don’t if we are really. It’s difficult to say because earlier in the season we had so many injuries, plus we have some new signings. Are we actually progressing though? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I’m not impressed but I’ve had three Pinot Grigios. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Midred said:

They've swapped places with the ones who have a dig after a city loss?

Possibly true.

But that wasn’t just a loss though was it. Pathetic all over the field. Losing is part and parcel of being a City fan. We support them through thin and thinner. But that takes a special place among pathetic performances of which we have had a few in recent months. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, David Brent said:

He seemed to have an issue with Dykes who, to my knowledge, has more goals at this level than Thorpe. 

So does Rob Dickie.

No one has as high an opinion of Tony Thorpe as Tony Thorpe does.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I wouldn't worry about the beer or not, you are spot on

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Summed up perfectly. 

• Thanks 1

Starting 11 showed absolutely no promise - the biggest mistakes in our recent wins came from senior midfielders - the way we started today set the pattern for the match, poor tactics and poor ball retention from the same senior players  - we started the game with players that have recently been given the task of seeing the game out.

This one’s on the Manager - he got found out!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Top Robin said:

We are undoubtedly progressing, albeit slowly and you are bound to get good performances with the odd poor performances thrown in.... 

Key word........odd.....not more often than not.....

In the grand scheme of things 6 points from the last 3 is good going. Feels awful to lose as we did though! 

Edited by MelksRed

Some will spray around accusations of “fickle” given our last three performances but I think the reason there was such a visceral reaction to today’s pile of sh1t is because it is really, really hard to credit that we could turn in such a shiteburg of a display in the Pisspoor Sea on the back of such promising showings. It makes no sense. I know we’ve played something like 12 games in six weeks but fatigue shouldn’t be an excuse for today’s disaster. It wouldn’t be a convincing excuse anyway.

Cornick flapping to give away a needless corner summed up a truly, truly abject display. City are infuriatingly inconsistent and have been for a hot minute (does that violate the inconsistency principle? Answers on a postcard to an opaque Open University physics module circa 1983…)

In sum - a right load of COBBLERS. 😎

Edited by WessexPest

It's a tough league. QPR were never going to be no mugs, regardless of League position. They are better than bottom 3 imo.

We were poor today, excellent tuesday. This is the life of a Bristol City fan unfortunately. 

Frustratingly this season we have lost at home to Stoke, Millwall, QPR and Birmingham. 0 points out of 12 from these 4 home matches. That is very poor and this is what has and will ultimately cost us competing for a play off place. 

We need better movement from our strikers and an out and out goalscorer, we need to find out version of Ivan Toney.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, 2015 said:

It's a tough league. QPR were never going to be no mugs, regardless of League position. They are better than bottom 3 imo.

We were poor today, excellent tuesday. This is the life of a Bristol City fan unfortunately. 

Frustratingly this season we have lost at home to Stoke, Millwall, QPR and Birmingham. 0 points out of 12 from these 4 home matches. That is very poor and this is what has and will ultimately cost us competing for a play off place. 

We need better movement from our strikers and an out and out goalscorer, we need to find out version of Ivan Toney.

That might even be Tommy Conway if we played to his strengths 🤔

• Hmmm 1
1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Particularly galling as even four dull 0-0 draws from those games would make the table look more appetizing.

The old adage of 'if you can't win make sure you don't lose' is very true

7 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Odd poor performance.

We got 3 points from 18. We were thoroughly awful against Leeds. 

We played well but lost in Nottingham. Got two league wins followed up by what ever the hell that was today. 

Are we progressing? I think there is progression in some areas of play, but not others, however the only individual who I see progressing obviously is OLeary, manly because he is called to save us so often. 

Hes stagnant, defo not improving and he wont without competition, QPR could have had a second when he palmed a shot sideways and onto a QPR player whos should have done better, it was only a couple of weeks ago when he spilled a shot at Coventry which cost us a win.

7 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Hes stagnant, defo not improving and he wont without competition, QPR could have had a second when he palmed a shot sideways and onto a QPR player whos should have done better, it was only a couple of weeks ago when he spilled a shot at Coventry which cost us a win.

I think it has to be said that the only reason we didn’t lose more heavily was Max O’Leary.

He was further than anybody from being the problem today 

11 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

@City oz, sad but true. 

Hi Dave, yes agree inconsistent performances are still the reason why a play off spot looks like it’s not achievable this season. I’m back in the UK end of July to early September so the majority will be the “off season” however might get the opportunity for a championship game at BS3.

• Like 1

I don't think the ref helped yesterday.he let qpr leave a bit extra  in on several of thier challenges to a point where we had players bottling challenges. He also didn't do anything to control the time wasting. It reminded me of us vs west ham.

Until we learn to deal with physical sides where they press and harass us to stop our game plan we will be a mid table team. It OK the club wanting us to play a certain way but we need to be able to adapt to these situations.