IGNORED

Pictures from Leeds 0-1 Bristol City - FA Cup 5th Round Replay 19/02/1974

Curr Avon

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

@Curr Avon

Cheers Mark , great photos.
I keep looking for ones of the Home game, I was up against the fence near the Open end Goal. Keep thinking I might see me and my Dad, so far no luck .

I've got 17 pics from the home game, but none with a shot of the Open End, sorry.

• Thanks 1

Someone asked me on Saturday & I had no idea.

What was the reason Keith Fear wasn’t there?

Unwell? Not interested in being invited back?

Know he’s still around & lives local, so was a bit of a surprise.

56 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I was looking for Keith too! Blimey the bloke was fundamental to both games and he wasn’t there Saturday I could tell. I do sometimes wonder how they all get on these days. 

• Robin 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

There were a couple of sons there in their Fathers place, I caught Cris Garlands son but can't remember the other one. Maybe someone stood in for Keith ? 

Just now, 1960maaan said:

There were a couple of sons there in their Fathers place, I caught Cris Garlands son but can't remember the other one. Maybe someone stood in for Keith ? 

Unusually I could hear the tannoy, no one was announced.

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Unusually I could hear the tannoy, no one was announced.

Just found the list, Fear not mentioned . You would have thought as he scored the equaliser and passed the ball for the winner he would have at least got a mention as to why he wasn't there.

31 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

John Sillet’s son

20 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just found the list, Fear not mentioned . You would have thought as he scored the equaliser and passed the ball for the winner he would have at least got a mention as to why he wasn't there.

Sure I read somewhere he’s just got no interest in these things. 

• Thanks 2

47,000 people at a match on a midweek afternoon (when work was Mon to Fri 9 - 5 more than it is today), no wonder there was rubbish piling up on the streets, corpses left unburied, inflation of 14%, rampant unions and the worst productivity in western Europe. 

Everyone of you that went to that game instead of going to work are responsible for THATCHERISM. 

Great photos, Curr, by the way ....

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

47,000 people at a match on a midweek afternoon (when work was Mon to Fri 9 - 5 more than it is today), no wonder there was rubbish piling up on the streets, corpses left unburied, inflation of 14%, rampant unions and the worst productivity in western Europe. 

Everyone of you that went to that game instead of going to work are responsible for THATCHERISM. 

Thanks. Love to the family. 😀

There might be some more later. Including a couple of spies.

Edited by Curr Avon

52 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I'm guessing said tongue in cheek...for those who don't know...

It was a time of industrial action by miners, which affected coal supplies to the power stations and, along with other contributing factors, put electricity in short supply.

Government regulations, aimed at restricting its use, demanded that all but ‘essential’ industries switched to a three-day week, while homes were regularly hit by power cuts.

Hence the 2pm kick-off time for a midweek football fixture, which normally would have been played under floodlights, and what was termed an ‘emergency issue’ of the match programme. It was priced at 7 pence and contained just 12 pages.

25 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Why were there 2 different shirts being worn that day?

Maybe Alan Dicks in his pre- match team talk said to the players individually,"V or round neck sir?"

Screenshot_20240220_090701_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240220_090751_Chrome.jpg

The warm weather kit was v neck. The long sleeved cold weather kit was round necked. 

Different times back then, kits were often mismatched, old ones used, and often all slightly different. 

Even the England national kit of the 70s by admiral was all over the shop. There's a documentary by Admiral that's worth watching, discusses how ' back street' kit manufacturing was back then. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

It was a time of industrial action by miners, which affected coal supplies to the power stations and, along with other contributing factors, put electricity in short supply.

Government regulations, aimed at restricting its use, demanded that all but ‘essential’ industries switched to a three-day week, while homes were regularly hit by power cuts.

Hence the 2pm kick-off time for a midweek football fixture, which normally would have been played under floodlights, and what was termed an ‘emergency issue’ of the match programme. It was priced at 7 pence and contained just 12 pages.

The warm weather kit was v neck. The long sleeved cold weather kit was round necked. 

Different times back then, kits were often mismatched, old ones used, and often all slightly different. 

Even the England national kit of the 70s by admiral was all over the shop. There's a documentary by Admiral that's worth watching, discusses how ' back street' kit manufacturing was back then. 

Thanks Spudski.

The Admiral doc was very good. ITV I think made it. The kit for Spain 82 was problematic. A seamstress flew out with her sewing machine to finish off the kits, the night before the game. That's why in the line-up, players badges were in different places!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, spudski said:

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm

Not sure if this pic is home or away. The second one is Ashton Gate.

My hunch is the 1st photo is the Open End, there is a lot of daylight compared to a terrace with a roof on it, it just looks right with how the shadows are and you can just see the tops of the railings behind the goal.

If correct then I should be top left somewhere as I was behind the flight of the ball when Bremner scored. I was only 12 so possibly behind someone but my Dad was 6ft+ and I can't see him either. Maybe we are just out of shot 🙁.

20240220_104436.thumb.jpg.1911d84faefddf52d6f366970412dd0f.jpg

1 hour ago, spudski said:

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm

Not sure if this pic is home or away. The second one is Ashton Gate.

Thanks @spudski , I have seen that site before and trawled through it. I think I may have been just to the left of the photo , if it is the Gate in the one with the goalmouth.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

My hunch is the 1st photo is the Open End, there is a lot of daylight compared to a terrace with a roof on it, it just looks right with how the shadows are and you can just see the tops of the railings behind the goal.

If correct then I should be top left somewhere as I was behind the flight of the ball when Bremner scored. I was only 12 so possibly behind someone but my Dad was 6ft+ and I can't see him either. Maybe we are just out of shot 🙁.

20240220_104436.thumb.jpg.1911d84faefddf52d6f366970412dd0f.jpg

That's my guess also. Seems all the pics on that link are from the first game at the Gate.👍

Just now, 1960maaan said:

Thanks @spudski , I have seen that site before and trawled through it. I think I may have been just to the left of the photo , if it is the Gate in the one with the goalmouth.

That's what I thought...shame you aren't on it, would have been great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Miners not working, you say spud? In the 1970s? You don't say. A three day week too much like hard work for them? Work-shy country. If we hadn't been so bloody good at exploiting other peoples and their resources before all this 'ealth n safety and human rights came in, we'd be ...... 

• Haha 2