IGNORED

Charlton fa cup 94 open end picture

sticks 1969

15 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, I was at Corinthian Casuals in '83 when Millwall turned up.

Was this the start of the long running feud you talk of?

There had always been an air of trouble when City played Millwall, I remember it in the 70's and I've heard stories going right back to the mid 60's, but this was on match days and Millwall's yob element had stronger rivalries with other clubs, so why did it become a long running feud with City in particular?

At the time of the Corinthian Casuals match we'd only played Millwall in 1 season - 81/82 - since '75, so did something notable happen at one of those games in 81/82 to start it off?

Millwall got chased onto the pitch early 70s from east end something very rare for them and think city were always going to be on the hitlist after nogs... 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

There had always been an air of trouble when City played Millwall, I remember it in the 70's and I've heard stories going right back to the mid 60's, but this was on match days and Millwall's yob element had stronger rivalries with other clubs, so why did it become a long running feud with City in particular?

At the time of the Corinthian Casuals match we'd only played Millwall in 1 season - 81/82 - since '75, so did something notable happen at one of those games in 81/82 to start it off?

I was at that game and seem to remember it wasn’t a complete surprise when they turned up but can’t quite remember why. I’ve a vague memory of some City fans going to Millwall in the summer and spraying some message on the back of a stand or something like that.

Things certainly got worse before they got better, the tit for tat seemed to go on for years.

5 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Brimsons full of it, he wrote once Watford turned city over at the hole in the wall, in the late 90s, laughable, you know what he does now? Chip shop reviews on youtube, I kid you not,

They turned up certainly and had a good pop.

Got the silver medal though...

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I was at that game and seem to remember it wasn’t a complete surprise when they turned up but can’t quite remember why. I’ve a vague memory of some City fans going to Millwall in the summer and spraying some message on the back of a stand or something like that.

Things certainly got worse before they got better, the tit for tat seemed to go on for years.

Yep , a lad went up and sprayed "City are coming" I believe , more than once in the area.
I didn't go, but I heard the next trip to Millwall was crazy .
The last incident was a few years ago , didn't  some of theirs try the Lions out and came off 2nd best?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was at the Corinthian game, first time i had come across the "Millwall brick" we played them at AG first game of the season in early 70's and it was lively, a few weeks later we were away to Swindon and they turned up there as well !!!

17 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Yep , a lad went up and sprayed "City are coming" I believe , more than once in the area.
I didn't go, but I heard the next trip to Millwall was crazy .
The last incident was a few years ago , didn't  some of theirs try the Lions out and came off 2nd best?  

That was the night before the “famous” match at Cold Blow Lane back in the 80s. All planned.
A local Bristol boxer was fighting in London IIRC the night before. So a few who will remain nameless, decided it was a good idea to utilise some yellow spray cans around the Old Den. Did a good job to be fair. The game the next day was the most dangerous football match I have ever been to - just nuts that day.
Bristol City had a decent mob back in the 80s. Well respected by most. Think Lumber covers some of the story in his book.

Edited by fisherrich
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, fisherrich said:

That was the night before the “famous” match at Cold Blow Lane back in the 80s. All planned.
A local Bristol boxer was fighting in London IIRC the night before. So a few who will remain nameless, decided it was a good idea to utilise some yellow spray cans around the Old Den. Did a good job to be fair. The game the next day was the most dangerous football match I have ever been to - just nuts that day.
Bristol City had a decent mob back in the 80s. Well respected by most.

That's exactly how i remember it, it certainly was an experience that day, they laid a good ambush on our coach before the game, not a window left !!!!

On 23/02/2024 at 18:05, fisherrich said:

Bristol City had a decent mob back in the 80s. Well respected by most. Think Lumber covers some of the story in his book.

It was Nicky Wiltshire who was fighting at Bethnal Green IIRC. It certainly made for an interesting day at the old Den as a result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It was Nicky Wiltshire who was fighting at Bethnal Green IIRC. It certainly made for an interesting day at the old Den as a result.

Thought I was right. Proper carnage next day.
Couple of Millwall fans I knew at the time said it wound um up proper. Miss the 80s, proper football compared to the plastic stuff today…