IGNORED

Seb Palmer-Houlden - Interview Post New Deal: Wednesday

Good news, but I found it odd when he said that his first conversation with Manning was on Wednesday of this week. Yes Tinnion has been in regular contact, but why not our Head Coach? At least a call before the Man Utd game would have been in order. Strange for me, and something i'd say about any manager/head coach at this level. Showing direct interest in the lads coming through, particularly on loan, doing well, can only be good for all. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Good news, but I found it odd when he said that his first conversation with Manning was on Wednesday of this week. Yes Tinnion has been in regular contact, but why not our Head Coach? At least a call before the Man Utd game would have been in order. Strange for me, and something i'd say about any manager/head coach at this level. Showing direct interest in the lads coming through, particularly on loan, doing well, can only be good for all. 

Because it’s not Mannings primary role - it’s BT’s responsibility. Absolutely no doubt that BT would have discussed the deal with Manning beforehand.

• Confused 5

Just now, Robbored said:

Because it’s not Mannings primary role - it’s BT’s responsibility. Absolutely no doubt that BT would have discussed the deal with Manning beforehand.

I didn't say it was his primary role. Read it again, the  point I'm making is pretty clear. Showing some direct and personal interest in the young lads on the verge of breaking through is something I would expaect any manager/head coach to do at this level.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

46 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

I didn't say it was his primary role. Read it again, the  point I'm making is pretty clear. Showing some direct and personal interest in the young lads on the verge of breaking through is something I would expaect any manager/head coach to do at this level.

He’s been too busy on the grass with the lads.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

It does seem a touch odd but let’s look as it as if he’s a proposed new signing for next seasons squad. You’d expect the recruitment team to do the donkey work in terms of analysis, you’d then expect the DOF to ratify and then also a bit of work to be done on the character. The head coach review is the last piece, and I’d bet most new signings don’t meet the head coach until the final stages.

Would it be better if he had spoken to SPH directly earlier? Yes. But contextually, as he’s not in the squad and is looking at him as a “new signing” for next year it’s pretty consistent with what I’d expect, particularly as there are competing priorities 

Manning

2 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Manning has asked to have him come and have a day's training with us every Tuesday for the rest of this season, which considering he's become a key player for Newport they have been pretty good by saying yes to that. Obviously this week was the first week that's happened because of their playing schedule and ours. 

I am not sure I agree that Manning should have much more contact than that, it's important that he focuses on Newport and doesn't have too many conflicting thoughts about it.

I don't know how much direct contact Pearson had with loanees or whether he reached out to the loanees that we had when he became manager. I have often wondered what the protocol is in such cases.

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Manning

Manning has asked to have him come and have a day's training with us every Tuesday for the rest of this season, which considering he's become a key player for Newport they have been pretty good by saying yes to that. Obviously this week was the first week that's happened because of their playing schedule and ours. 

I am not sure I agree that Manning should have much more contact than that, it's important that he focuses on Newport and doesn't have too many conflicting thoughts about it.

I don't know how much direct contact Pearson had with loanees or whether he reached out to the loanees that we had when he became manager. I have often wondered what the protocol is in such cases.

Although is still very early days in the grand scheme of things, from what I understand it’s very much a “I’ll leave that to you, not really my focus” from Manning to Tinnion re the u21/18s Loanees & processes, whereas under Pearson he was a lot more actively involved on a player by player basis at all ages.

Far less 21s/18s lads involved in first team training now, though that could be a byproduct of less injuries. 

I’m going to be v interested to see how ‘academy first’ we are throughout the summer, especially with pre-season tours and friendly squads. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Might not be his primary role but to have his first conversation this week is incredible if that was me I would of had my first conversation with all players one to one ages ago, When he first stepped through the door. It does come across it's all training based and not one to one management. Pearson was first class at it look at klopp at Liverpool you can't say to me he doesn't have conversations with the younger players there. Nothing to do with primary role you still have to build trust with all players.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 3