IGNORED

Why hasn’t Manning been sacked?

Redland

Just now, JBFC II said:

Issue is would we trust the board to make a good appointment? 

They've made 14 appointments in the last 25 years, how many of those have seen us finish in the top half of the championship? 2?

Ultimately if Manning gets sacked will anyone better come in? I heavily doubt it

I don’t doubt they could make a bad decision. But Manning is clueless. 

All that crap about not being able to train. We need six points to be safe imo. 

• Facepalm 1

24 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

And would anybody trust the people making the decision?

Think the last of any goodwill left the building with Pearson, Rennie, and Euell for me.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

Just now, REDOXO said:

I don’t doubt they could make a bad decision. But Manning is clueless. 

All that crap about not being able to train. We need six points to be safe imo. 

To play devil's advocate, if you'd been given 6 points from the last 4 games would you have taken it?

I agree that he's yet to prove himself as having the sort of tactical acumen needed at this level, can't see him being relieved now and if he is, I'd fear about what would happen next

• Like 1

This is just utter utterly disappointing. Two sides in the bottom three have out thought us, we have zero creativity. We are a team that only has one plan, and when that doesn't work then we have nothing to fall back on. I'm sorry, but to me I have seen nothing from Manning to suggest he can take us to the next level. It'll be another wasted summer, we'll get to October and he'll get the boot, rinse and repeat for our board to make yet another howler of a decision.

• Like 1

I’ll have a go.

He hasn’t been sacked yet because our board probably don’t have the courage or foresight to see when things are going wrong.

On a broader basis, he shouldn’t probably be sacked right now. This is the absolute opportunity to show what he can do under no promotion/relegation pressure. And to show he can perform. We lose nothing by giving him 12 games to see if he shows sustained improvement. Personally, I’ve seen nothing to suggest he will but I also would give him the opportunity - not that he’s earnt it - and make the final decision in May. 

At that point unless we see marked improvement I’d say he should go. But he should take Tinnion with him.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

Just now, JBFC II said:

To play devil's advocate, if you'd been given 6 points from the last 4 games would you have taken it?

I agree that he's yet to prove himself as having the sort of tactical acumen needed at this level, can't see him being relieved now and if he is, I'd fear about what would happen next

For me it's more the performances, despite the win we clung on against Boro and we're utter carp against Millwall, QPR, Wednesday.

One unexpected win against Southampton makes it worse, to be honest, as it shows that the players can play well. Which means it's down to setup, tactics, and selection - all down to the Manager.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Nine points from ten games says the Devil! We are supposed to have a top six team. We are in relegation form. Manning can’t survive on his blind squirrel tactics finding a nut against Southampton 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Here we go again, so boring

So post about how Manning is going to get it right. It is so boring when the only comment is "here we go again" What is it you are seeing that makes you think Manning is the right person. 

Or your post deserves the same response. 

Ostrich

• Like 1

The performance v Southampton was a fantastic watch and well worth the money, just can't understand how that same team can be so poor in the next 2 matches. Over years City do have an absolute history of doing this though, regardless of who the manager is. 

Just now, Fuber said:

For me it's more the performances, despite the win we clung on against Boro and we're utter carp against Millwall, QPR, Wednesday.

One unexpected win against Southampton makes it worse, to be honest, as it shows that the players can play well. Which means it's down to setup, tactics, and selection - all down to the Manager.

Probably just become immune to poor performances, can't remember a consistent run of three good ones in this division for many years!

I have no doubt he's a decent coach, and may well go on to be a good first team coach at this level. But there's nothing that makes me think he has the ability to be the level of manager he believes he is.

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Nine points from ten games says the Devil! We are supposed to have a top six team. 

Still can't get my head around that top 6 team quote, absolute lunacy of the highest order

15 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Should be. He is not the right fit for us. He is not the right guy to take us forward. 

He was easy and cheap option, and a huge gamble,showed lack of ambition by the board, we've been treading water,going nowhere for years!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Probably just become immune to poor performances, can't remember a consistent run of three good ones in this division for many years!

I have no doubt he's a decent coach, and may well go on to be a good first team coach at this level. But there's nothing that makes me think he has the ability to be the level of manager he believes he is.

Still can't get my head around that top 6 team quote, absolute lunacy of the highest order

The only lunatic quote that comes close is Europa League in five years

• Like 2

I think the main lesson we can learn this season - as several clubs have learned before - is that sacking the manager isn't the surefire way to improve results that we think it is. I'm therefore personally not jumping towards "Sack the manager" as the answer.

Whilst I didn't want Pearson to go, I don't actually think our points total would be all that different if he was still in post. We're mid-table because that's where our team is. We might win a couple and talk about promotion, then lose a couple and then talk about relegation and so on ad nauseam but mid-table is about right. And I'm no more about to accept losing two in a row as evidence that we're dramatically declining as I was prepared to accept winning two in a row before that as evidence we were hurtling towards promotion. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the main lesson we can learn this season - as several clubs have learned before - is that sacking the manager isn't the surefire way to improve results that we think it is. I'm therefore personally not jumping towards "Sack the manager" as the answer.

Whilst I didn't want Pearson to go, I don't actually think our points total would be all that difference if he was still in post. We're mid-table because that's where our team is. We might win a couple and talk about promotion, then lose a couple and then talk about relegation and so on ad nauseam but mid-table is about right. And I'm no more about to accept losing two in a row as evidence that we're dramatically declining as I was prepared to accept winning two in a row before that as evidence we were hurtling towards promotion. 

We’ve sacked the manager many times and it has barely worked. Cotts probably the only time, even GJ took months to fix the mess from Tinnion. 

Just now, Big Cheese said:

He was easy and cheap option, and a huge gamble,showed lack of ambition by the board, we've been treading water,going nowhere for years!

Hang on, he was contracted to Oxford so we would have had to pay compensation to them and improve the wages that Manning and his staff were on so not like employing an out of work guy. 
Easy? Easier than trying to persuade someone with an established record of success to come here I am certain. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’ll have a go.

He hasn’t been sacked yet because our board probably don’t have the courage or foresight to see when things are going wrong.

On a broader basis, he shouldn’t probably be sacked right now. This is the absolute opportunity to show what he can do under no promotion/relegation pressure. And to show he can perform. We lose nothing by giving him 12 games to see if he shows sustained improvement. Personally, I’ve seen nothing to suggest he will but I also would give him the opportunity - not that he’s earnt it - and make the final decision in May. 

At that point unless we see marked improvement I’d say he should go. But he should take Tinnion with him.

I think where I'm at with this is that we're in danger of the good culture that was in place of eroding. Signs of that already. Players have lost confidence. We know those two things are really difficult to change.

I personally think that continuing to back a horse with 3 legs is quite ridiculous. 

Rather than having some blind faith that it might work out we should probably look to take the bull by the horns and be pro active. 

IF a change was made now it would give a new man time to evaluate the squad etc. 

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Manning deciding the futures of players like James etc.

• Like 8
  • Flames 2