IGNORED

Why hasn’t Manning been sacked?

Redland

30 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I will never be able to figure out why there is a small but vocal minority of our fan base that have absolutely detested Nigel from day 1. Refuse to give him very little credit for the job he did and even up until the constant day are still making digs about him. 

It's embarrassing that their support for Manning is simply because he is not Nige. 

I can only guess that it's a masculinity thing. 

Good post.  I’d met and talked to Nigel Pearson before he was appointed at City, and have a close friend who is a Leicester City supporter and who absolutely worships Pearson, so I really would have liked to see him succeed.  But the stark fact is that for all Pearson’s good work behind the scenes, the football under him was dull and the results were pretty awful.  I think he was given a good time to turn the results around, but it just wasn’t happening.  I therefore felt that his dismissal was justified when it came - our season was rapidly going nowhere and there was a strong case for a change of regime in order to prepare for 2024/25.

What surprises me most is that there are those who either ignore Pearson’s dreadful record in terms of results; who make excuses for it; or who believe he could have turned it around.

Manning seems to me to have been a very reasonable shout for a new head coach, and needs to be given time to build something that might actually be competitive next season.  In football you move on, and we’ve moved on from Pearson.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Good post.  I’d met and talked to Nigel Pearson before he was appointed at City, and have a close friend who is a Leicester City supporter and who absolutely worships Pearson, so I really would have liked to see him succeed.  But the stark fact is that for all Pearson’s good work behind the scenes, the football under him was dull and the results were pretty awful.  I think he was given a good time to turn the results around, but it just wasn’t happening.  I therefore felt that his dismissal was justified when it came - our season was rapidly going nowhere and there was a strong case for a change of regime in order to prepare for 2024/25.

What surprises me most is that there are those who either ignore Pearson’s dreadful record in terms of results; who make excuses for it; or who believe he could have turned it around.

Manning seems to me to have been a very reasonable shout for a new head coach, and needs to be given time to build something that might actually be competitive next season.  In football you move on, and we’ve moved on from Pearson.

It’s easy to make statements, including the words “stark fact” when it is anything but stark facts. It is just your subjective opinion(s).  And you’re entitled to it, but it is anything but fact!

I quite enjoyed his football, I saw results improving.  I saw a squad built in a manner I’ve wanted to see in a while, ie a team!  That is my opinion, not a fact, not a stark fact by any stretch!

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It is not a stark fact , you are confusing your opinion with fact . It is not a fact that the football was dull, I enjoyed many games under Pearson . You did not . That is your opinion . Not a stark fact . 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, RollsRoyce said:

It is not a stark fact , you are confusing your opinion with fact . It is not a fact that the football was dull, I enjoyed many games under Pearson . You did not . That is your opinion . Not a stark fact . 

Too slow 😉 ⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only way we will get promoted out of this Division based, on Lansdown’s approach, is to hit a ‘sweet spot’ with the squad. That will necessitate the existing squad’s decent players all hitting their prime and being consistent, a few Academy starlets breaking through, supplemented by a few ‘first team ready’ incomings who deliver. Can be done.  

Of our ‘units’, the defence is ok. Midfield some way off and attack is desperately lacking. 

So, the Midfield we have added a couple with potential following the Jan window. Hopefully, they’re good enough to step up and perform consistently. If not, we may need an experienced addition there. The attack to be addressed in the Summer with several new first team ready incomings.

Problem is our ability to acquire first team players has been more ‘miss’ than ‘hit’. Whatever the ‘process’ that is employed in identification of suitable talent, assessment of player durability etc it appears flawed. If we think the same approach, with the same ‘talent spotters’ same ‘process’ is going to deliver, pretty confident we’ll be disappointed as success is going to be luck more than judgement.

Personally, just can’t face having to watch any more like Anis, Harry - and becoming increasingly concerned about TGH (who we had on a try before we buy ffs) - with the manager trying and failing to get a performance out of them and attempting justify the talent spotting team’s decisions. Nige sussed them fairly quickly.  As ever though with City, new manager comes along and wastes months coming to the same conclusion. 

So, solutions. Complete overhaul of approach to first team talent spotting. Tell the manager to clear out the not good enough’s (have we not been here before!) and just don’t play them for the sake of the talent spotters credibility. Get the squad blend right, develop PARTNERSHIPS between players. Ditch the Manager textbook, be more observant and react quickly to what is happening on the pitch.

Can already see the next batch of our talent moving on because the Club ain’t developed a squad and playing style that is good enough to push on.

Bit like snakes and ladders following City isn’t it? More snakes than ladders though.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/first-time-under-manning-attitude-9124640

Dunno if this has already been posted or even if it's the right thread but the Players Attitude apparently...

Matt Withers, first time under Manning, the Players Attitude...

We have always been competitive under Manning! What on earth has he been watching before Saturday. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You say you met NP but give no opinion on him yourself, only referring to your friends worship, saying you wanted him to succeed for that reason, how strange that you don’t give your own opinion having met him, or want him to succeed because you are a (Bristol) City fan.

I also met NP and had a chat, he seemed to me to be a ‘people person’ first and foremost, and I can imagine he pretty much always told it as he saw it, something I also felt was the case in his interviews.

I haven’t met Manning and can only form an opinion based on interviews, the phrase chalk and cheese comes to mind, which perhaps goes someway to explaining the boards actions.

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Oh Tom please stop with the propaganda. It does you no favours. The facts are the facts. We are doing worse. 

Worse or the same it’s academic. The board justified the sacking of Pearson on the basis that we had a top six squad and we were underachieving. We are now just nine points off the relegation places yet with the new incumbent that seems to be acceptable to the board.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, Redland said:

Worse or the same it’s academic. The board justified the sacking of Pearson on the basis that we had a top six squad and we were underachieving. We are now just nine points off the relegation places yet with the new incumbent that seems to be acceptable to the board.

By the board you mean Jon and Brian?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I will never be able to figure out why there is a small but vocal minority of our fan base that have absolutely detested Nigel from day 1. Refuse to give him very little credit for the job he did and even up until the constant day are still making digs about him. 

It's embarrassing that their support for Manning is simply because he is not Nige. 

I can only guess that it's a masculinity thing. 

You are mental, I don’t know a single person who detested NP let alone from day one, and I don’t know a single person who doesn’t think he did a decent job under difficult circumstances, I support Manning because he is our manager and deserves time just like NP had.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

You are mental, I don’t know a single person who detested NP let alone from day one, and I don’t know a single person who doesn’t think he did a decent job under difficult circumstances, I support Manning because he is our manager and deserves time just like NP had.

You have never watched FBC then. 😂 

39 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Maybe I have but I’ve no idea what FBC is 🙂

Forever Bristol City podcast. 

There are plenty of threads about it! In particular Ian whose anti Pearson agenda is legendary, (if rumors are to be believed fueled from inside the club by BT)

I think you should listen to some back episodes. 

As for a small minority with an anti Pearson agenda from the start there were a few that posted here. 

I bumped a thread for you. 

Edited by REDOXO

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

You have never watched FBC then. 😂 

Oh no, that person was quite in favour of his appointment, until we had that losing run, constantly ignoring any context and thought it might tarnish his reputation, so revisioned history that he hadn’t been in favour at all, but thought he’d have been a good choice a couple of years earlier.

Hmmmm!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Forever Bristol City podcast. 

There are plenty of threads about it! In particular Ian whose anti Pearson agenda is legendary, (if rumors are to be believed fueled from inside the club by BT)

I think you should listen to some back episodes. 

As for a small minority with an anti Pearson agenda from the start there were a few that posted here. 

I bumped a thread for you. 

Fair enough, I’m not sure that a  “podcast” would be my cup  of tea, I haven't listened to radio Bristol since GT left !!!! 

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Oh dear....no stark facts here.

Pearson was constrained by wages and hardly given any money to improve. He had to work with what he had and was hampered by the fact that one of his key signings was unavailable to him due to an unforseen illness.  Despite also having many other key players on the treatment table he still kept us competitive in most games. If only we had actually kept him and given him some real money to spend in the January transfer window then we might not have ended up in this mess at all! 

Let's not forget, with the right backing he has won promotion out of this division and we were making progress both on and off the field despite the limitations of resources available to him.

Manning was brought in to achieve promotion THIS season. This is the factual reason why Nigel was sacked. He's failing and taking us backwards.

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

19 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Fair enough, I’m not sure that a  “podcast” would be my cup  of tea, I haven't listened to radio Bristol since GT left !!!! 

The podcast is actually entertaining for an hour. The boys have been doing it a while and it’s all streamed live on You Tube. @headhunter runs it. You can go on YT and just put in Forever Bristol City and listen to the last episode 

I’m actually listening to sound of the City on radio drivel as I write. They really miss GT. It’s like a little friendly call in chat show. GT would have really asked the questions that need to be asked and had plenty of callers after the rubbish of the last week 

This guy has a couple of people on who really add nothing to his show. Its not worth listening to anymore and it shows people aren’t tuning in. 

Oh and thanks for having your picture taken with me in the Heineken V Leeds! 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

The podcast is actually entertaining for an hour. The boys have been doing it a while and it’s all streamed live on You Tube. @headhunter runs it. You can go on YT and just put in Forever Bristol City and listen to the last episode 

I’m actually listening to sound of the City on radio drivel as I write. They really miss GT. It’s like a little friendly call in chat show. GT would have really asked the questions that need to be asked and had plenty of callers after the rubbish of the last week 

This guy has a couple of people on who really add nothing to his show. Its not worth listening to anymore and it shows people aren’t tuning in. 

Oh and thanks for having your picture taken with me in the Heineken V Leeds! 

Haha, no idea who you were with against Leeds but it wasn't me, I was 800 miles away!!!! 😄 

2 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Damn, I've been sussed, I'll be in there on Saturday with cheese if you want another photo 🙂

Nah. I’ll be 4000 miles away. Unfortunately I’ll be getting up early to watch. 

Cheese sat behind me at the Leeds game. He wasn’t impressed! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Countryfile said:

I also met NP and had a chat, he seemed to me to be a ‘people person’ first and foremost, and I can imagine he pretty much always told it as he saw it, something I also felt was the case in his interviews.

he is absolutely 100% a people person.  i dont know if it was an act or nerves the way he came across in earlier interviews but i do know,he wouldnt lie to you, and he certainly wouldnt be abrasive as he cares about our feelings as much as his own

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

Just now, redsquirrel said:

he is absolutely 100% a people person.  i dont know if it was an act or nerves the way he came across in earlier interviews but i do know,he wouldnt lie to you, and he certainly wouldnt be abrasive as he cares about our feelings as much as his own

Spot on. 

Shame about the 'people' he ended up working for.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s easy to make statements, including the words “stark fact” when it is anything but stark facts. It is just your subjective opinion(s).  And you’re entitled to it, but it is anything but fact!

I quite enjoyed his football, I saw results improving.  I saw a squad built in a manner I’ve wanted to see in a while, ie a team!  That is my opinion, not a fact, not a stark fact by any stretch!

Got to say Dave that the poor results under Pearson are very clear facts, and not at all my subjective opinion.  What was it, second lowest percentage of any City manager?  When he was sacked we’d won 3 league matches from 10 this season (30%); I believe that Manning’s record is 9 from 23, so just under 40% win percentage.

As far as I can see almost nothing I’ve said was particularly subjective, but anything not praising Pearson to the hilt seems to be met with a flurry of face palms and other negative emojis.  Oddly enough polarisation was what I was trying to avoid, but it doesn’t seem possible to have any sensible discussion on this site any more, sadly.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 3

7 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Got to say Dave that the poor results under Pearson are very clear facts, and not at all my subjective opinion.  What was it, second lowest percentage of any City manager?  When he was sacked we’d won 3 league matches from 10 this season (30%); I believe that Manning’s record is 9 from 23, so just under 40% win percentage.

As far as I can see almost nothing I’ve said was particularly subjective, but anything not praising Pearson to the hilt seems to be met with a flurry of face palms and other negative emojis.  Oddly enough polarisation was what I was trying to avoid, but it doesn’t seem possible to have any sensible discussion on this site any more, sadly.

If you’re going with a spell of 10 league games for NP, Manning is currently 2 from 10. 

Manning is 7 wins from 23, overall win % 30.43. Pearson was 32.06. 

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 2