IGNORED

Andy King - caretaker?

old_eastender

Obviously the Lansdowns won't fire Manning and appoint Andy King - but it's not a bad call if things get so bad that a change becomes necessary, as a caretaker as the OP said. To those saying he's got no experience - neither had Tinnion, Millen,  Holden, and LJ had done the square root of #### all, but it didn't stop the Lansdowns appointing those 4. So never say never.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Theres no way tinnion and lansdown would want king around, with his background he wouldnt want to hear their idiocy, or deal with it in anyway

We seem to like recruiting cheap rookie managers. Kingy could be s shoe in.

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Gary O’Neil with less of a playing CV , a similar character I’d suggest , both quietish  intelligent , 

He had zero experience ... and fwiw didn’t have Kings coaching qualifications when he set out

Playing experience isn’t relevant. O’Neill had more coaching experience when he was appointed at Bournemouth. 

Can’t believe it’s come to this thread!  

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

As it was apparently Tinnion who queried why Pearson was picking him instead of giving another Academy player a chance I’d say this is not going to happen even if we do bite the bullet with Manning at any point.

Talking of not giving academy players a chance, I wonder what Tinnion thinks of Manning leaving an empty space on the bench yesterday?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The topic is a hypothetical would Andy King be a good temporary choice if Mr Manning was relieved. Thus your entire post is pointless much like our last two games. 

Ok. I like you, and this time is doing strange things to good people. But King isn't the answer in my opinion.

Gary O’Neil with less of a playing CV , a similar character I’d suggest , both quietish  intelligent , 

He had zero experience ...

I think this is the thing isn’t it - everyone has to start somewhere? An irony here is that if this was Liams first job straight out of CFG there wouldn’t be as much doubt - it’s the sketchy record lower down which has set alarm bells ringing for some.

What King would have that Liam doesn’t seem to is a good network of experienced managers (yes, such as Nige) to bounce off. When Liam was asked about his influences it was people like Brian Klug, Steve Foley, Peter Trevivan - good, coaching men but not managers. Myself and @Davefevs have debated whether Liam could use some experienced help to guide him but I think he’s probably too single minded and sure of his processes to want that, and he’s not really got anyone that I know of who has done it “in the game” to help him.

So, it’s not a ridiculous shout as a caretaker. It won’t happen IMO, but I’m not sure the argument of Liam has more experience is as black and white - and it’s not about being a City fan either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Right now if you gave me a binary choice of Manning or King for the rest of the season I'd plump for King every time.

I know absolutely nothing about King's coaching skills so that tells you everything about how I rate Manning! 

Thankfully you don’t get to make that choice! 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Playing experience isn’t relevant. O’Neill had more coaching experience when he was appointed at Bournemouth. 

Can’t believe it’s come to this thread!  

Really - his shortish spell at Liverpool Academy ?

Or have I missed a spell ? 

I’d suggest GON and AK would have very similar CVS and fair play to GON he’s grabbed his chance and puts a dent in your theory

Does it mean AK would / will have similar ‘ success’ , no of course not but I’d have a little wager that he will end up doing someone a decent job

Personally Id take a chance on AK before a LJ type appointment with his ‘experience CV’ for example 

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This forum is getting more mental by the hour.

King is leaving in the summer ffs  because he wants to continue playing. 

🤦‍♂️

There’s almost no point bothering anymore. Just full of stupid ideas, trolls and people posting their same opinion 100 times a day. 

Really - his shortish spell at Liverpool Academy ?

Or have I missed a spell ? 

I’d suggest GON and AK would have very similar CVS and fair play to GON he’s grabbed his chance and puts a dent in your theory

Does it mean AK would / will have similar ‘ success’ , no of course not but I’d have a little wager that he will end up doing someone a decent job

Personally Id take a chance on AK before a LJ type appointment with his ‘experience CV’ for example 

You’d wager it based on absolutely nothing.  A fool and his money….

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

There’s almost no point bothering anymore. Just full of stupid ideas, trolls and people posting their same opinion 100 times a day. 

You’d wager it based on absolutely nothing.  A fool and his money….

A fool 🧐 🤣

I won’t start in some of your football opinions 

But shall we talk about that all ‘a big fuss over nothing ‘  .............. COVID

Fools eh 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Talking of not giving academy players a chance, I wonder what Tinnion thinks of Manning leaving an empty space on the bench yesterday?

He’s done that 8 times in the league so far as well as sidelining Ephraim Yeboah pretty much from the get go.

I’m not convinced he’s a big fan of Academy players, let’s see how many that weren’t already part of the squad ever get an opportunity under him.

Already a worry if he genuinely thinks Mebude is a better bet than giving either Yeboah or Nelson a spot on the bench.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s done that 8 times in the league so far as well as sidelining Ephraim Yeboah pretty much from the get go.

I’m not convinced he’s a big fan of Academy players, let’s see how many that weren’t already part of the squad ever get an opportunity under him.

Already a worry if he genuinely thinks Mebude is a better bet than giving either Yeboah or Nelson a spot on the bench.

Just about all the acclaimed football philosophies and blueprint look on hold atm don’t they 

Leaving aside any LM overall assessment to date to one side,  he doesn’t look an obvious fit for the Technical Director which is in itself bizzare , unless the DoF has scrapped and rewritten the blueprint in the last couple of months 

Front Foot Football

Pace and runners

Academy Pathway

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Why?

Isn't a criticism levied again Manning his lack of experience at this level, so we want to replace him with a guy who to my knowledge has never managed a single game at any level?

I get he's a fan and all but, why? What are we basing that decision off?

It'd make less sense than Holden and that's saying something.

If we're getting rid of Manning (and we're not any time soon imo) we need to replace him with better, not an even bigger punt.

I can’t articulate it properly, but I think the club has missed a trick in not embedding Andy King into the first team coaching set-up…assuming he wanted to.

Manager?  No.

Future planning?  Yes

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

There's this great big enormous thing across that big wet, wavy blue/grey thing called the sea, it's called Europe. They play football there, all over the bleedin place, like us. And beyond that, there's this thing called The Rest of the World, where they also play football. And people there coach the football. 

We could try one of them, one day. 

1 minute ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

There's this great big enormous thing across that big wet, wavy blue/grey thing called the sea, it's called Europe. They play football there, all over the bleedin place, like us. And beyond that, there's this thing called The Rest of the World, where they also play football. And people there coach the football. 

We could try one of them, one day. 

Yeah bring back Benny

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

basically a lot of people believe in Andy King as he is a city fan. That’s what it boils down too as if it was anyone else with the same CV nobody would be calling for him 

Or maybe it’s what players have said about him , his help and guidance , or maybe the experience of being a player who has won L1 ,Championship and the Premier League and what that entails and is required , International Football

His coaching qualifications 

Maybe a few of these things too eh

Ironically We had 4 **^^^* years of wonder boy and since ‘But he gert loves the club’.  (With zero evidence)  Ffs

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 3
  • Flames 2

34 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Or maybe it’s what players have said about him , his help and guidance , or maybe the experience of being a player who has won L1 ,Championship and the Premier League and what that entails and is required , International Football

His coaching qualifications 

Maybe a few of these things too eh

Spot on. And at the very least, his considerable experience far surpasses anything anyone else currently at the club - on the pitch, on the bench, or in the boardroom - has ever achieved. 

When was the last time - if ever - we had that experience to call upon? Joe Jordan?

And I’m not saying King would have the same impact as JJ in case anyone was ready to shoot that down. It’s a point about tangible football experience, which has been severely lacking throughout the Lansdown era.

Edited by tin
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tin said:

Spot on. And at the very least, his considerable experience far surpasses anything anyone else currently at the club - on the pitch, on the bench, or in the boardroom - has ever achieved. 

When was the last time - if ever - we had that experience to call upon? Joe Jordan?

And I’m not saying King would have the same impact as JJ in case anyone was ready to shoot that down. It’s a point about tangible football experience, which has severely lacking throughout the Lansdown era.

Joe Jordan who didn’t have a coaching badge ..... or a day of coaching or managerial experience

Yes he didn’t do too bad 🤣

3 World Cups , a bit of British Silverware - pfffff over rated

Edited by Sheltons Army

55 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Yep. It's long been a mess whenever we lose a game, but recently it's getting borderline unusable. A dozen new threads which involve the same people having the same conversation every time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Yes, it could.  A player revolt led by the likes of James, Wells, Kimg etc could see end of Manning.

if we fail to win in next 3 games, change will happen

Do you seriously believe if we lose the next three games then Manning is gone? 

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I can’t articulate it properly, but I think the club has missed a trick in not embedding Andy King into the first team coaching set-up…assuming he wanted to.

Manager?  No.

Future planning?  Yes

Sure, and I don't know enough to agree or disagree there. But there's a huge difference between that, and making him caretaker manager until the end of the season - which is what you're saying I think.

That just seems like a lose-lose situation to me... apart from the 0.1% chance he turns out to be wonder manager (head coach, whatever).

If you're going to have a player pathway, you should have that for both 14 year olds and 34 year olds who are good enough.

• Like 1