IGNORED

Andy King - caretaker?

old_eastender

18 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

basically a lot of people believe in Andy King as he is a city fan. That’s what it boils down too as if it was anyone else with the same CV nobody would be calling for him 

Yeah good point.

If him and Tinnion went for the same or ineed any job anywhere else though, who do you reckon would be most likely to make the shortlist.

Slightly off piste but probably City in a nutshell.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ziderarmy said:

Do you seriously believe if we lose the next three games then Manning is gone? 

Yes is the short answer. There are factors to be considered however 

1 Three defeats would likely have us five or so points from the bottom three

2 The manner of the defeats is key. Here some talk about defeat as if we were in the game but pluckily lost. That’s not been the case in quite a few defeats we were so poor we couldn’t pass more than 10feet against Leeds and QPR for example. If we don’t show up against Cardiff there will be serious unrest which will carry over. 

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Sure, and I don't know enough to agree or disagree there. But there's a huge difference between that, and making him caretaker manager until the end of the season - which is what you're saying I think.

That just seems like a lose-lose situation to me... apart from the 0.1% chance he turns out to be wonder manager (head coach, whatever).

If you're going to have a player pathway, you should have that for both 14 year olds and 34 year olds who are good enough.

Yes it was.

Imho you want to retain Andy King at Bristol City, because he has a wealth of knowledge, a wealth of experience as a player, a wealth of experience of working under different managers and styles, acts as a mentor, is respected by his teammates, has done his badges (some / all?), etc.

This isn’t any old player nearing the end of his playing days.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Yes is the short answer. There are factors to be considered however 

1 Three defeats would likely have us five or so points from the bottom three

2 The manner of the defeats is key. Here some talk about defeat as if we were in the game but pluckily lost. That’s not been the case in quite a few defeats we were so poor we couldn’t pass more than 10feet against Leeds and QPR for example. If we don’t show up against Cardiff there will be serious unrest which will carry over. 

I think the bosses see us as safe so will happily back the coach.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yes it was.

Imho you want to retain Andy King at Bristol City, because he has a wealth of knowledge, a wealth of experience as a player, a wealth of experience of working under different managers and styles, acts as a mentor, is respected by his teammates, has done his badges (some / all?), etc.

This isn’t any old player nearing the end of his playing days.

Agreed.

Hes not a Brian Tinnion is he.

Which is why he will be elsewhere next season imo Dave far too qualified and respected.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

basically a lot of people believe in Andy King as he is a city fan. That’s what it boils down too as if it was anyone else with the same CV nobody would be calling for him 

I think the general suggestion is to get rid of the current head coach who's out of his depth and put King in charge whilst we take our time appointing a new manager. The clue was in the title Andy King - caretaker?

The players have clearly lost confidence in the current head coach. They are playing within themselves because he has over complicated things. Good players have suddenly became crap players. The fan base is divided and things are pretty toxic.

The suggestion is to place King in temporary charge which in the short term should unite the fan base and because of his standing in the squad and his experience would go down well with the players. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think the general suggestion is to get rid of the current head coach who's out of his depth and put King in charge whilst we take our time appointing a new manager. The clue was in the title Andy King - caretaker?

The players have clearly lost confidence in the current head coach. They are playing within themselves because he has over complicated things. Good players have suddenly became crap players. The fan base is divided and things are pretty toxic.

The suggestion is to place King in temporary charge which in the short term should unite the fan base and because of his standing in the squad and his experience would go down well with the players. 

A man with no experience would not unite the fanbase 

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

A Bristol City fan who's had a career that Manning could only ever dream of on a temporary basis would unite and galvanise the fans. 

Let's reframe this slightly to see what answer we get from you. If Manning left for a different job today, then who would you place in temporary charge whilst a replacement is sought? 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s a hypothetical scenario because it won’t happen but he would unite the fan base more than it is now

Not that , that’s difficult 

Lets appoint serial failure wonder boy again - you idolised him and his experience 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

A Bristol City fan who's had a career that Manning could only ever dream of on a temporary basis would unite and galvanise the fans. 

Let's reframe this slightly to see what answer we get from you. If Manning left for a different job today, then who would you place in temporary charge whilst a replacement is sought? 

A few games ago a manager produced our best performance in years, your words, and rather than wait to see if he can do that consistently you would rather have Andy King in charge for a short period of time for no real reason.  Best just to wait and see what Manning can achieve this season and if he can replicate a very recent amazing performance 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

A few games ago a manager produced our best performance in years, your words, and rather than wait to see if he can do that consistently you would rather have Andy King in charge for a short period of time for no real reason.  Best just to wait and see what Manning can achieve this season and if he can replicate a very recent amazing performance 

It was a one off performance. Fantastic, but let's not forget that we are 2 wins from 10 and have just lost to 2 of the worst sides in the league. That's the reason mate. The only thing we've done is be consistently poor against poor teams. I've seen absolutely nothing that suggests we can replicate the Southampton performance on a consistent basis. 

In fact I'd go as far as saying we won that game because we reverted to what we do best. 

A lot of us have seen enough already. Just like Sunderland did, just like Millwall did.

Soon as he started playing injured players, he was done here. 

You didn't answer my hypothetical question? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It was a one off performance. Fantastic, but let's not forget that we are 2 wins from 10 and have just lost to 2 of the worst sides in the league. That's the reason mate. The only thing we've done is be consistently poor against poor teams. I've seen absolutely nothing that suggests we can replicate the Southampton performance on a consistent basis. 

In fact I'd go as far as saying we won that game because we reverted to what we do best. 

A lot of us have seen enough already. Just like Sunderland did, just like Millwall did.

Soon as he started playing injured players, he was done here. 

You didn't answer my hypothetical question? 

He may as well have the season now to see if it was a one off.  As for a caretaker, if I was in charge and wanted him gone I would line up a replacement. No point in having caretakers.  I’m sacking someone who reports to me soon and have already lined up a replacement. No point in waiting. Time is money!

I like Andy King, and I like the fact he's a lifelong City fan, but this would be the worst of all bad decisions the owner's have made during their time.

Maybe one day he will be a Manager for us when he has gained experience.

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

He may as well have the season now to see if it was a one off.  As for a caretaker, if I was in charge and wanted him gone I would line up a replacement. No point in having caretakers.  I’m sacking someone who reports to me soon and have already lined up a replacement. No point in waiting. Time is money!

If as you say time Is money, why wait till the end of the season, surely you’d back your own judgement and move now?

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I’d wait to make a judgment and once I had I would act.  

But if you’d already made your judgement now, why wait till the end of the season to act, that’s the scenario set out, would appointing King, for all the reasons already pointed out be a good idea?

50 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

But if you’d already made your judgement now, why wait till the end of the season to act, that’s the scenario set out, would appointing King, for all the reasons already pointed out be a good idea?

But I wouldn’t make a judgment after giving someone a job so recently. I’d wait for a greater body of work and then decide. If I decided he had to go then I’d line up a replacement. I don’t get it when clubs sack someone and take a month to replace them 

6 minutes ago, Malago said:

They put up with LJ losing 8 games in a row.  Manning will be our manager next season full stop.

Whilst I can see this argument I do also think expectations are different now. 

The club clearly expect top 6 now where as when LJ went on that losing run our expectations were not that high. 

• Like 1

It wasn't just the losing run under LJ, excluding Cup games I'll try and do it from memory..without checking. Late October to earlyish March 2017. Correct scores, Idk. Results? Sure.

Barnsley (A) D

Brighton (H) L

Birmingham (A) L

Reading (A) L

Ipswich (H) W

Huddersfield (A) L

Brentford (H) L

Preston (H) L

Wolves (A) L

Ipswich (A) L

Reading (H) L

Cardiff (H) L

Nottingham Forest (A) L

Sheffield Wednesday (H) D

Rotherham (H) W

Derby (A) D

Fulham (H) L

Leeds (A) L

Aston Villa (A) L

Burton Albion (H) D

,Norwich (H) D

Not saying they were all terrible performances but 2 in 21??

11 losses in 12.

1 win in 16..how the hell do you survive that?

Put another way one win 1 in 4 months.

Here’s another thread that has blown my mind.

Do we really think that Tinnion and Lansdown are going to get rid of their new project, who was given a 3.5 year contract 3 months ago, and replace him even temporarily with someone who is that close to Pearson? It’s just not going to happen, in a million years.

People really are hysterical at the moment as well. I keep seeing comments like ‘he’s lost the dressing room’ and that the atmosphere is ‘toxic’…. I see no evidence on a match day of a toxic atmosphere whatsoever and I’m really not convinced about the players losing faith yet either. We’ve just had 2 unbelievably poor games. 

I'm far from convinced by Manning and I’m as fed up with the ‘higher ups’ at this club as anyone but none of them are going anywhere any time soon. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 2