IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics

Fordy62

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

Yes - you’re right.

Thinking about it, Szmodics came on and struggled during that game. Definitely the right call to get rid!

Remember the Florida game v Derby before the lightning…he looked good, but in a deeper role than he’s playing these days.

4 minutes ago, Street red said:

LJ oh the master of football and one reason why our club won't progress selling quality like that.

'The Master of Football'

Wasn't that what he called his first book? Also known as 'The Real Coaches Bible', with a forward by Pep Guadiola

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was thinking exactly the same as the OP

He was never given a chance and I do remember the usual short sighted comments on here from a few saying he was nothing to write gone about, which of course you can tell from 30 seconds on the pitch (3 appearances in total)

At least someone in our organisation had the insight to get him on books but then the usual behaviour kicked in...

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Apparently he was amazing against Maidstone..

Where are Coventry in the league?!

Unbelievable as it seems - and of course we couldn't afford him (so good luck with that Coventry) and he was rubbish for us - Manningball appears to be the future and what that style of football requires, and what we lack to make it work, is a technical, creative ACM who can receive the ball in tight, central areas, on the half turn, and then feed passes forwards to our attackers.

That type of player would transform us.

That type of player is Kasey Palmer.

Nuts.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Remember the Florida game v Derby before the lightning…he looked good, but in a deeper role than he’s playing these days.

Yeah - he was the star of that pre-season and looked like a bargain. And then we signed Palmer. Then sold Webster, lost to Leeds and had a complete midfield reshuffle and changed formation. Then lost Afobe to injury and the rest of the season trying pretty much every playing system available with the only coherent thread being the fact that Szmodics had no role to play in any of them.

16 minutes ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

I was thinking exactly the same as the OP

He was never given a chance and I do remember the usual short sighted comments on here from a few saying he was nothing to write gone about, which of course you can tell from 30 seconds on the pitch (3 appearances in total)

At least someone in our organisation had the insight to get him on books but then the usual behaviour kicked in...

108 total minutes in the league. 🤦‍♂️ 

• Facepalm 1

22 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Where are Coventry in the league?!

Unbelievable as it seems - and of course we couldn't afford him (so good luck with that Coventry) and he was rubbish for us - Manningball appears to be the future and what that style of football requires, and what we lack to make it work, is a technical, creative ACM who can receive the ball in tight, central areas, on the half turn, and then feed passes forwards to our attackers.

That type of player would transform us.

That type of player is Kasey Palmer.

Nuts.

He’s only started 11 league games for them this season, 9 more appearances as a sub, scored just one with 2 assists.

We need that type, but even at a club where the manager & coaching staff clearly rate him, he’s still not seen as the answer.

For me (& I know at least one regular poster dislikes him intensely) Jamie Paterson was twice the player that he was.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

This is what generates "atmosphere," this sort of football  (with something immediately at stake, helps too). The tedious "possession" shite can get tae **** give us chaos like this, fer fs

Yep, would’ve far preferred ‘Eustace’ Ball. And like Smodzics, that’s not hindsight either, it’s on record! 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He’s only started 11 league games for them this season, 9 more appearances as a sub, scored just one with 2 assists.

We need that type, but even at a club where the manager & coaching staff clearly rate him, he’s still not seen as the answer.

For me (& I know at least one regular poster dislikes him intensely) Jamie Paterson was twice the player that he was.

Think Palmer was injured for a fair while earlier in the season?

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That's my memory. When he did play it was deeper (no.10). Seemed to be competing with KP for the same position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

That's my memory. When he did play it was deeper (no.10). Seemed to be competing with KP for the same position.

Correct, signed SS early close-season, then KP just before the season started, that meant Paterson got loaned to Derby.  It was onky when he went to Peterboro permanently that he played right up top.

• Like 1