IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics

Fordy62

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Blame LJ for allowing Szmodics to leave.

At the time it was suggested that City were after Ivan Toney so Sammie was allowed to go  to P'boro'  as a sweetener for a future deal. Trouble is Posh wanted £8 million, but City would only offer six, so Ivan T went off to Brentford.

59 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I have to say when he played for us looked very ordinary, I don't think anyone was too upset when we let him go. Hindsight's a wonderful thing!

Of course. That's why football clubs employ, and pay handsomely, professionals for their foresight. Get the best in the business at your club making these decisions and good times will follow 

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I have to say when he played for us looked very ordinary, I don't think anyone was too upset when we let him go. Hindsight's a wonderful thing!

Which of the 108 minutes he played did you think he looked poor in?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 22A said:

At the time it was suggested that City were after Ivan Toney so Sammie was allowed to go  to P'boro'  as a sweetener for a future deal. Trouble is Posh wanted £8 million, but City would only offer six, so Ivan T went off to Brentford.

Mark Ashton was involved in that deal and refused to meet the asking price. I wasn’t aware that Szmodics was a part of the deal.

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I wouldn't say that, many very much liked the look of Szmodics, couldn't understand why LJ had never given him a proper chance, and thought the club would regret letting him go.

Others just said he was an Eisa/Adelukan type punt which hadn't worked out and well done the club and MA for making a profit.

There was a general acceptance that we had too many midfielders, DH wasn't going to play him (either), so better for all parties if he moved on ... but make sure there was a good sell on.

That's my take anyway from what became his departure thread from Aug/Sept 2020:

18 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

You probably had a far longer view Lrrr but I saw him in U21 ganevatbthe Gate after he arrived and he showed everything he is now in terms of being a livewire , ability to beat a man , quick feet , and busy busy busy - he probably worked harder than I’ve ever seen for a player in U21 games

The only thing absent in that game was his finishing

Ge certainly has improved but at the time he looked as if he could have a real X factor once he broke into regular starts 

Shame

He looked pretty lost in his one league start (v Swansea) and just totally didn't impose himself in his two quite lengthy sub appearances thereafter. That said, 3 league and one cup game is not enough time to totally write off and clearly another loan rather than just selling him would - in hindsight - have been a better option.

He was with us 5 years ago and although he'd done great at L2 level with Colchester, I didn't necessarily see how he'd develop. Other players who looked exciting prospects for us five years ago, have not pulled up any trees since.  It's an inexact science predicting how young players will develop and I'm not going to beat up anyone at the club at the time who saw what I did - a L2 player who looked like he was really struggling to adapt to Championship football.

Szmodics is 28 now and right on what is usually the peak performance year as a striker.  You can do no more than shrug your shoulders and say the time and place just wasn't right here in 2019. Over the 50+ years I've followed City there are lots like that. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

You probably had a far longer view Lrrr but I saw him in U21 ganevatbthe Gate after he arrived and he showed everything he is now in terms of being a livewire , ability to beat a man , quick feet , and busy busy busy - he probably worked harder than I’ve ever seen for a player in U21 games

The only thing absent in that game was his finishing

Ge certainly has improved but at the time he looked as if he could have a real X factor once he broke into regular starts 

Shame

You’re an absolute marvel if that word is in your dictionary.

13 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Ate you suggesting that Chris Martin could still do it at Championship level?

As we see with Mehmeti, there is a huge gap between L1 and the Championship

I wasn't expecting him to do anything at Rovers to be honest, thought he was over the hill! He did score a couple for QPR at the end of last season IIRC so I'm wondering if he could still get goals in last 20 mins of game as a sub. Martin never had any pace to lose. Whichever way you look at it, 14 goals in 24 games from a standing start is pretty exceptional. I couldn't see Cornick getting those kind of figures in L2.

Edited by fgrsimon