IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics

Fordy62

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Good job we never gave him a chance. Not a single ******* chance. Pretty sure he’d be our best player now. 

Oh well… I guess, like Ayling, he can’t have been doing it in training.  

🙄 

Blame LJ for allowing Szmodics to leave.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Good job we never gave him a chance. Not a single ******* chance. Pretty sure he’d be our best player now. 

🙄 

Yes - but if we had kept Szmodics then how would Kasey Palmer or Marley Watkins have got game time?

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1
  • Robin 1

13 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

He certainly wasn't doing it in U21's games when he was given the chance to impress

Frankly he needed those seasons in L1 to improve himself, only thing we could have said was for us to loan him out instead of sell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

He certainly wasn't doing it in U21's games when he was given the chance to impress

Frankly he needed those seasons in L1 to improve himself, only thing we could have said was for us to loan him out instead of sell. 

You probably had a far longer view Lrrr but I saw him in U21 ganevatbthe Gate after he arrived and he showed everything he is now in terms of being a livewire , ability to beat a man , quick feet , and busy busy busy - he probably worked harder than I’ve ever seen for a player in U21 games

The only thing absent in that game was his finishing

Ge certainly has improved but at the time he looked as if he could have a real X factor once he broke into regular starts 

Shame

Rose tinted glasses. At the time we were trying to make KP45 permanent and I believe he went on Chelsea's Irish pre season tour so we signed SS and we ended up with Palmer as well. I don't think SS set the world alight in the limited game time he had and the rest is history. Ultimately our loss it has proved to be.

3 minutes ago, Rob k said:

It will always amaze me this one, and it’s not hindsight either, those who know me will know I’ve moaned about this for a long time 😂😂

I think what annoyed me was the inconsistency. I’m not going to pretend I had any idea whether he was good enough or not but we signed him presumably on the basis that we rated him, he did well in pre-season and he never got a fair chance beyond the odd 10 mins here and there beyond one League Cup game where he scored a beautiful free kick. It felt like we signed a player who did all the right things but wasn’t wanted by a manager who pretty much admitted Szmodics did all the right things but wasn’t a player he rated.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think what annoyed me was the inconsistency. I’m not going to pretend I had any idea whether he was good enough or not but we signed him presumably on the basis that we rated him, he did well in pre-season and he never got a fair chance beyond the odd 10 mins here and there beyond one League Cup game where he scored a beautiful free kick. It felt like we signed a player who did all the right things but wasn’t wanted by a manager who pretty much admitted Szmodics did all the right things but wasn’t a player he rated.

Think the free-kick you’re referring to was Liam Walsh

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

He's having a very good season but he's not shown this level in the Championship previously. I would hazard a guess that this is a bit of a one off season for him?

He's pushing 30 years old and it reminds me of the Weimann season with us a few years back.

If he backs it up with another 20 goals next year then i'll eat my words, but i doubt it.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Great desire, when Sigurdsson picked up the ball you can just about see him on the left of the picture literally put his head down and power forward to make sure he was there. The Newcastle player couldn't keep up.

You love to see it!

image.png.c33f72349e19d84064dfa24ab38ca737.png

A player enjoying his football. Not sure you can say that about any of our squad at the moment.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Swede said:

Rose tinted glasses. At the time we were trying to make KP45 permanent and I believe he went on Chelsea's Irish pre season tour so we signed SS and we ended up with Palmer as well. I don't think SS set the world alight in the limited game time he had and the rest is history. Ultimately our loss it has proved to be.

Bullseye.

This is " if only" hindsight, on stilts.

We correctly identified Szmodics as a quality player.

The problem was we had a manager who wanted a billion players, a club in the bag for every scenario, which meant there was no pathway for Szondics.

Why was he ever going to be satisfied with swapping first team football at Colchester for reserve yeam football with us?

The lad was absolutely right to leave, having realised we were run at the time by incompetent people more interested in Manila envelopes than youth development. KERCHING!

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Apparently he was amazing against Maidstone..

I know that Maidstone beat Ipswich away, but it’s not like Kasey Palmer has been ripping it up regularly for Coventry this season. Unlike Szmodics at Blackburn!