IGNORED

Cardiff City at home match thread

4 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Thanks for letting me know, I've only been watching football for 40 years and yeah to an extent but it's a derby(ISH) and that's technically not true all the time or at least it shouldn't be!

Then you’re probably as bored as everyone else, it’s hardly Ninion Park back in the day, proper derby atmosphere. 

4 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Thanks for letting me know, I've only been watching football for 40 years and yeah to an extent but it's a derby(ISH) and that's technically not true all the time or at least it shouldn't be!

Then you’re probably as bored as everyone else, it’s hardly Ninion Park back in the day, proper derby atmosphere. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Peter1450 said:

Ah yes, bottles of piss and bricks. Lovely ... not.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

Well that certainly hasn't been the case in the past. There used to be a cracking atmosphere both home and away. And it meant a lot to players and supporters. But the effect of Manningball is like  an anaesthetic. No fire , no passion on the pitch.

I see we have already reached the stage where we are shoehorning in criticism of Manning into every discussion point. How long until Gaza is his fault?

• Like 1

Really frustrating but exactly what I expected to watch.

Same set up as QPR and Wednesday, very spread out across the pitch, using the back line to try and move the ball across the pitch into wide areas to create a pathway to goal. Cardiff were open to it for the first 20 and then started to get settled in how to deal with it, their front three are sitting high up to pressure and we've go no outlet. We try and force it wide and they double up and pull their midfielders in narrow to cut off passing options forcing us backwards and to repeat the movement or wait until we try to come inside where we're too spread apart to move the ball causing us to lose possession in dangerous areas.

We need a player who can sit in that midfield, receive the ball with their back to the player and turn to face them up and make a pass. As it stands we pass into the middle and it goes straight back to the defensive line because of instant pressure and our wide-spread positioning means no quick passing option. Manning has us set up to offer width, the issue is we can't use it affectively because the opposition are set up to nullify it and we're not coming to the ball to create quick passing options in the middle.

I 'm not convinced on Mannings tactics at all, I was hoping he'd come out and prove me wrong but he's very much reminding me of that famous quote "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". Manning has us set up to play one style of build-up and when the opposition adapt to that he's got nothing to offer to change the situation. I expect in the second half to see more of the same thing and should we not get a stroke of luck we'll have a few subs made, maybe a change of formation but ultimately the build up will remain the same. 

If we lose today I'm expecting Manning to say how the players didn't get it going quickly enough today and totally miss the reason why, that's my major concern is Manning is not adapting to the issues in our gameplan, he's just hoping that we get a lucky opportunity and break from it.

• Like 1
Just now, CityCiderEd said:

Why,oh why is our first instinct when we get a ball played into a midfielder that they nearly always look or play it backwards. There have been times when the player receives the ball with space in behind him but invariably goes back......

It's the patterns they've been told to follow. Can't concede if we play it safe. Been like it since LM's been here.

4 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Behave.  Up until the early naughties nothing had an edge like this one. The centre took on an almost oppressive air to it. 

Post rebrand, yeah, it’s certainly not what it was. 

I do remember one pre-Atyeo stand game, where the Cardiff fans were having a ding dong with Avon and Somersets finest, chucking police helmets over the fence to cheers from the Dolman, and I think (it might have been the same game) Cardiff tried to get through a gate to get to the Dolman, one of their number got through and charged thinking all his mates were behind him, not realising that the stewards had managed to get to the gate and close it, leaving him by himself. Needless to say the City fans who had made their way down the Dolman steps were pleased to welcome the solitary Cardiff fan, saved only by some poor steward that dived in to pull him out and dumped him back in the open end. 

Funny and unlikely to be replicated again.

1 minute ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

It's the patterns they've been told to follow. Can't concede if we play it safe. Been like it since LM's been here.

It's almost as if the instinct to get forward has been dispensed with. Allied to our total lack of pace It's a struggle with little threat....

Just now, ProfitInMyPocket said:

That and we lack the midfielders capable to take a pass with a player behind him and turn and face him up. We also don't have our midfielders coming narrow to offer the pass in this situation, we have two "wing backs" out wide, our front three are high up and the angles are not there.

You're right in that the players have been told what to do and how to play and they are doing it, the issue is Manning doesn't identify that we can't move the opposition players around if every pass is a long one across the ground, the time it takes for the ball to travel is enough time for players to start repositioning accordingly. We offer not give and go options in the middle, it's all out wide hence Cardiff, Wednesday and QPR all allowed the ball into those areas and then trapped us in there knowing we won't play through he middle. On the odd occasion we've got players close enough together in the middle to string some passes together it's moved Cardiff players around to a level that there is space out wide but those situations have come from loose ball moments or deflected passes.

2 minutes ago, Wrongagain said:

Hey it’s not that bad, how long have we waited for Roberts to be fit? He has actually completed at least one pass to a team mate! Otherwise it’s just plain boring - someone tell Naki that it’s ok to stay on yer feet!

Tbf they’ve been targeting Wells so it’s not unusual he’s ending up on the floor. Ref should have given at least one free kick for him.