IGNORED

Cardiff City at home match thread

On 01/03/2024 at 08:58, Jerseybean said:

Players in the recent past who’ve played for both teams include Diedhiou, Pack, Flint and O’Dowda. Going back Brian Clark and Peter Hooper (who also played for Bristol Rovers) represented both teams. When Hooper’s career ended in 1966 by a bout of peritonitis he moved to North Devon where he played non-league football for Barnstaple Town. After retiring from professional football, Hooper was landlord of The Three Pigeons in Bishops Tawton, where he lived, before spending 19 years as a probation assistant in Barnstaple.

Can’t see his name mentioned so….

And not forgetting Bobby Decordova Reid. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Knight-Lebel is academy isn't he? I'd say it looks like it's more of a case that there's no belief in some of the current crop rather than a flat out abandonment of the system.

I think @TomSutton has highlighted we may be in the “chaff” period of the current crop so there may be something in that. However, the broader points of the lack of youth progression at prior clubs and the academy having less engagement with the first team than prior are probably huge factors here - it comes back to if he’s not seeing them then he won’t play/bench them.

• Like 1
Just now, Silvio Dante said:

I think @TomSutton has highlighted we may be in the “chaff” period of the current crop so there may be something in that. However, the broader points of the lack of youth progression at prior clubs and the academy having less engagement with the first team than prior are probably huge factors here - it comes back to if he’s not seeing them then he won’t play/bench them.

Fair. I did like the very clear "one club" vibe we had under Pearson. Academy, ladies, mens teams all being well integrated. If that's been lost then that is to be mourned.

I also do agree that 7 subs is crap.

I assume we still have more than 18 players at AG today? There will be "spare" players helping with the warm up for example. I would like to hear the explanation as to why it's not worth naming two of them as a sub.

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s most likely because the first team squad train away from the academy now so one of the academy players could walk up to him with a big sandwich board saying “I’m in the academy” and he’d still be nonplussed having had no real steer on their abilities.

If he’s not seeing them in training, how does he know if a place is merited?

(Taps sign detailing how many youth players Liam brought through at Dons and Oxford)

Is this something Manning has implemented?

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

See, I think King can still pick a pass…but 55-60 is the most we can get out of him. 

Oh yeah he's still capable of that pass, the problem is we don't make the runs since Manning took over, we're too focused on that slow build. On the odd occasions, we tried to play that quick build-up we had so much more success but I'm not so confident that the players are still in that mindset to make those runs, they certainly weren't against QPR

There is no excuse for not naming a full bench unless you are having a go at the owners for not providing money for depth of squad.

I really don’t get it

This is a clear example, imo, of a break with declared policy of blooding the youngsters by exposure to a match day squad

Thus, again just my opinion, but it smacks of poor managerial skills

• Like 8
17 minutes ago, M.D said:

Is this something Manning has implemented?

To be fair to Manning, when he was hired the powers that be were quite explicit that they were hiring a coach, not a manager, so I can't really blame him if that's all he's concentrating on.

If the connection has been lost, then it's clear who was actually driving this philosophy previously and who to question as to why that seems to have stopped. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Red from afar said:

To be fair to Manning, when he was hired the powers that be were quite explicit that they were hiring a coach, not a manager, so I can't really blame him if that's all he's concentrating on.

If the connection has been lost, then it's clear who was actually driving this philosophy previously and who to question as to why that seems to have stopped. 

A good point.

I've noticed more and more recently Dickie seems to be struggling to track runners when running facing his own goal, why are our players not more vocal so he doesn't have to keep looking over his shoulder?