IGNORED

Cardiff City at home match thread

First time in many years I have hardly any interest in the game , 2 tepid performances which we could / should have won and we would be all right up for todays game and probably on the cusp of pushing into the top 6 , being sat on a beach in the Maldives 🇲🇻 with yet another nice cold beer to soften yet another poor performance ( let’s hope we’re all shocked ) and we put a shift in .

on another note have met a Oxford season ticket holder here who is a pretty switched on he is convinced once manning has the right players here he will be a success , ummm let’s see I said , I really don’t know what to expect any more I think this season there has been more false dawns than ever 

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, redkev said:

First time in many years I have hardly any interest in the game , 2 tepid performances which we could / should have won and we would be all right up for todays game and probably on the cusp of pushing into the top 6 , being sat on a beach in the Maldives 🇲🇻 with yet another nice cold beer to soften yet another poor performance ( let’s hope we’re all shocked ) and we put a shift in .

on another note have met a Oxford season ticket holder here who is a pretty switched on he is convinced once manning has the right players here he will be a success , ummm let’s see I said , I really don’t know what to expect any more I think this season there has been more false dawns than ever 

I think sometimes fans from other teams especially a season ticket holder that goes see things in a different light and not blinked so hopefully he’s correct 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sticks 1969 said:

I think sometimes fans from other teams especially a season ticket holder that goes see things in a different light and not blinked so hopefully he’s correct 

I hope your right sticks , like I say he’s pretty switched on and sits with the high ranking in Oxford , more than just a fan I think , keeping cards close to his chest 

1 minute ago, redkev said:

I hope your right sticks , like I say he’s pretty switched on and sits with the high ranking in Oxford , more than just a fan I think , keeping cards close to his chest 

Always enjoyed talking to fans of various clubs when travelling with England on how they view Bristol city and how they see things . Enjoy your holiday the weather is **** here 

• Like 1

approx betting odds are even money we win, 2/1 draw, Cardiff 3/1 win; favs to win then🤔 seems generous odds for Cardiff win, will be close game and we better come out fighting and improved on recent efforts. Hopefully wrong but drab goal less draw for me.

42 minutes ago, redkev said:

But that’s the point. How many players? 2-3? 6? 11? Bye bye nest egg? Or perhaps the plan was always to provide it to the next manager/head coach.

However it does feel like Manning has one way of playing which requires potentially more expensive/better players, when it could be argued that more expensive/better players might be more successful whatever the system and tactics.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
12 hours ago, Offside said:

Really hope we beat them tomorrow, but I’m dreading another insipid performance. 

I’m afraid you will be in for a treat today….check our recent form. I don’t think we’ve played well since we beat you at home, and I’m not joking. Ramsey and o dowda not played all season almost. Grant is out….we can’t score for shit. 2.0

• Robin 1
8 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

I’m afraid you will be in for a treat today….check our recent form. I don’t think we’ve played well since we beat you at home, and I’m not joking. Ramsey and o dowda not played all season almost. Grant is out….we can’t score for shit. 2.0

Then todays your day and you're going to win. We are really good at losing to struggling teams when they come to play us.

29 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

Away win banker then

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Manning doesn't believe in fight. Or emotion of any kind.

It's all about processes and behaviours.

Trust the process and everything will be alright.

Yeah OK, coaching manual man - you think Guardiola doesn't use emotion? You think emotion can't be harnessed positively at all, Liam? OK, then we'll all stay at home and you can play in front of nobody. Sterile football played in a sterile atmosphere at a club fronted by a sterile personality.

Eff me.

We've all seen footballers do daft things "in the heat of the moment" and so a coach's desire for players to play with their heads more than their hearts is understandable but occasionally teams can do amazing things when riding an emotional wave.

Tomorrow is one of those occasions and at a time when Manning needs all the help he can get, he's denying himself, his team and all of us, a powerful tool.

So if tomorrow turns out to be a limp defeat, he deserves all he gets.

If we win handsomely in style, I'm sure he'll want to go mad and celebrate with a sparkling water. Or two.

PS. Pray God your peediction us right!

12 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Well it's what he preaches, mate!

No offence, but you're misinterpreting what Manning has said.

He says "never too high, never too low".

That's VERY different from "no emotion". 

Not getting too wound up or too euphoric isn't just good advice for any footballer, it's good advice for life. 

It stops you getting petulant on one side, and stops you being complacent on the other.

He even denied what you're claiming in a recent press conference (can't remember the game). He said that emotion IS IMPORTANT. But how you manage your emotion is the key.

So, I think you're just spreading a myth about Manning here, but I'm happy for you point me to some quotes.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

No snow in Ashton, but the surrounding areas are white.  The game will certainly be on and most of us will be there. Some of the sheep from the valleys might not find travelling so easy though but the trains should be OK provided that it's not the wrong kind of snow.

I had a dream last night that Mehmeti would have a decent game and actually produce some output.  Dreams can be so ridiculous, can't they.

If he plays, we need to clatter O'Dowda early on as he is a bit of a baby and it will be interesting to see Fam again and what reception we give him (I guess he will probably be up for it today).

We really need to put the ghosts of the last couple of games to bed and everyone needs to put in a decent shift today.  I'm predicting a City win.

52 minutes ago, mozo said:

Not getting too wound up or too euphoric isn't just good advice for any footballer, it's good advice for life. 

It stops you getting petulant on one side, and stops you being complacent on the other.

He even denied what you're claiming in a recent press conference (can't remember the game). He said that emotion IS IMPORTANT. But how you manage your emotion is the key.

So, I think you're just spreading a myth about Manning here, but I'm happy for you point me to some quotes.

I’ll tell you what’s key today…..how he “manages” his sodding football team!!

• Like 1

"Just focus on tactics and what you have to do to beat them, not about emotions - because emotions will be there, without doubt."

I can't believe Pep doesn't believe in emotions ahead of a big Derby match.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mozo said:

He actually said it yesterday, about todays game.

But facts are never allowed to get in the way of a good old moan and gripe here on OTIB

27 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

No snow in Ashton, but the surrounding areas are white.  The game will certainly be on and most of us will be there. Some of the sheep from the valleys might not find travelling so easy though but the trains should be OK provided that it's not the wrong kind of snow.

I had a dream last night that Mehmeti would have a decent game and actually produce some output.  Dreams can be so ridiculous, can't they.

If he plays, we need to clatter O'Dowda early on as he is a bit of a baby and it will be interesting to see Fam again and what reception we give him (I guess he will probably be up for it today).

We really need to put the ghosts of the last couple of games to bed and everyone needs to put in a decent shift today.  I'm predicting a City win.

I'm predicting another winless Manning ball game, with lots of slow play and backwards/sideways passing, but really hope you are right!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Montpelierblue said:

That’s surely a positive O’dowda isn’t fit ? 

26 minutes ago, mozo said:

"Just focus on tactics and what you have to do to beat them, not about emotions - because emotions will be there, without doubt."

I can't believe Pep doesn't believe in emotions ahead of a big Derby match.

Or Pearson about us playing Cardiff:

"We have to recognise how important it is when you play a derby but the bottom line is you still have to be able to perform and to perform you've got to have a control over the emotional side of the game."

Manning:

"Emotion is a hugely powerful thing, it enables you to do certain things, and I want players that are emotionally invested and care, and have aggression and have fight. But, at the same point, you have to control it and if you don’t"

I can't really see anything he's said wrong there? Seems very misrepresented above.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Fully expecting us to lose 3-0 today but really hoping the players show some passion and fight and prove me wrong, 

Am worried thought after seeing Manning say he doesn't want to players to be emotional sounds like he's hoping for another boring game of pass back and sideways, 

I just want to see us on the front foot really trying to win 

20 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Or Pearson about us playing Cardiff:

"We have to recognise how important it is when you play a derby but the bottom line is you still have to be able to perform and to perform you've got to have a control over the emotional side of the game."

Manning:

"Emotion is a hugely powerful thing, it enables you to do certain things, and I want players that are emotionally invested and care, and have aggression and have fight. But, at the same point, you have to control it and if you don’t"

I can't really see anything he's said wrong there? Seems very misrepresented above.

There's nothing wrong with it unless you're looking for something to be wrong. Emotions can negatively affect decision making. They need to be recognised, but controlled. It's absolutely reasonable and correct to say this.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

Good afternoon all (it is here)  So another Cardiff local derby, the only way I can see us beating them is if we raise our game and keep at them for the whole 90 minutes ( OK then 75) as long as we don't go two up and then go all defensive as usual. I think it's going to be a boring draw, but hey who knows, sometimes we improve after two totally useless performances. Let's hope it's today. Anyway good luck to all going today, hopefully there maybe a stream available. Come On You Red's!