IGNORED

Cardiff City at home match thread

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I don't like that starting line up, I know Tanner has been good but I do like McCrorie however King, TGH and Williams in midfield is dire. 

If Williams can't find his form today and King is not at his best I feel like we'll get over run in the middle far too easily. I honestly have very little excitement for this match atm. 

Weirdly I'm more confident about King than TGH or Williams today. He hasn't put a foot wrong when he's played this season.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Crimson Crayola said:

Have we seen him there yet? I'd imagine Knight and sykes more likely on the wing with Wells on his own? 

Pretty sure TGH played as one of the two number 10s at home against West Ham.. might be wrong though 

• Like 1
Just now, Crimson Crayola said:

Weirdly I'm more confident about King than TGH or Williams today. He hasn't put a foot wrong when he's played this season.

I just find him to be too slow and being as we now don't build our attacks quickly he'll just contribute to that. 

I don't dislike King, I just feel his best times are past and being as our best opportunities come from a fast build up style he'll hinder our best opportunities in that regard. 

I also think whilst he covers passing lanes and options pretty well he doesn't have that burst of pace closing down triggered runs that we do in his locker meaning seeing his name on the sheet means we're less likely to play that fast press that gets us success in the middle. 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

7 subs is ******* piss poor imo, sorry

At home too. I’m not one for giving spots on the bench away, but Nelson?

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I just find him to be too slow and being as we now don't build our attacks quickly he'll just contribute to that. 

I don't dislike King, I just feel his best times are past and being as our best opportunities come from a fast build up style he'll hinder our best opportunities in that regard. 

I also think whilst he covers passing lanes and options pretty well he doesn't have that burst of pace closing down triggered runs that we do in his locker meaning seeing his name on the sheet means we're less likely to play that fast press that gets us success in the middle. 

See, I think King can still pick a pass…but 55-60 is the most we can get out of him. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

See, I think King can still pick a pass…but 55-60 is the most we can get out of him. 

Nelson definitely should be in there, regardless of Medube

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you’re exaggerating a bit , even though the great Stanley Matthews played into his fifties. 

• Haha 5

Positive is clearly that Mehmeti is on the bench.

Negative is that he’s still employed.

More seriously, echo what’s been said. Seven subs is absolutely shocking. You compare it (sorry) to the Cardiff away game where we had a ridiculous injury list and still had 8 subs. The message it sends is clear - there is no belief in the academy, in the pathway. And with a 12 game pre season this is when you should be getting younger players involved - even if only on the bench - to get a better steer on them.

Poor.

• Like 6
Just now, And Its Smith said:

I always try and think why a decision has been made. The only thing I can of is that he doesn’t want to give a place on the bench unless it’s merited. 

It’s most likely because the first team squad train away from the academy now so one of the academy players could walk up to him with a big sandwich board saying “I’m in the academy” and he’d still be nonplussed having had no real steer on their abilities.

If he’s not seeing them in training, how does he know if a place is merited?

(Taps sign detailing how many youth players Liam brought through at Dons and Oxford)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

More seriously, echo what’s been said. Seven subs is absolutely shocking. You compare it (sorry) to the Cardiff away game where we had a ridiculous injury list and still had 8 subs. The message it sends is clear - there is no belief in the academy, in the pathway. And with a 12 game pre season this is when you should be getting younger players involved - even if only on the bench - to get a better steer on them.

Poor.

to play devils advocate, potentially the majority of our more promising youngsters are out on loan currently and manning doesn’t want to give out those positions without it being “deserved”.

But either way id still agree, only naming 7 is just silly imo. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Poor.

Knight-Lebel is academy isn't he? I'd say it looks like it's more of a case that there's no belief in some of the current crop rather than a flat out abandonment of the system.

I don't know the current crop well enough to say if this is correct or not, but it could just be that there's now a higher bar to clear before you get your first team bench warming job.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I always try and think why a decision has been made. The only thing I can of is that he doesn’t want to give a place on the bench unless it’s merited. 

Cotterill used a light bench to make his point, did not end well. I wonder if there is a bit of this here. Pointless and petty for me, however he (LM) might dress it up. As stated elsewhere, be nice for a local hack to ask questions, but they are mostly scared of their own shadows.