IGNORED

How to ruin a football club

harvey54

18 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Yes I saw that and in fairness to them Williams, Conway and Gardener-Hickman at least made some effort to come near to the fans.

And like you say Manning realised it wasn’t a great reception and scuttled off. Don’t come fist pumping when things go alright and hide when times get tough 

When Manning got back to the tunnel he looked up at SL and clapped and then gave Steve the thumbs up! Wtf was that about?

• Hmmm 1

26 minutes ago, One Team said:

We are absolutely ****** right now. At the end of the game people were literally at each other’s throats arguing about the position. Any togetherness we had under Nige has eroded. 

Yeah the togetherness has disintegrated. The togetherness of team, fans etc together off it, the cohesion on it.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah the togetherness has disintegrated. The togetherness of team, fans etc together off it, the cohesion on it.

Agreed mate. Literally people fighting each other at the final whistle. It’s shocking and all on Lansdown. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

A counterpoint to the Pearson clamoring again with a point I've made in many threads today. QPR were dead-set for 24th under Ainsworth; since Cifuentes has joined (22 games I think now) they're now 10th in the form table a side who were in dire straights far far worse a position than we have ever been since we got promoted to the championship. We are lucky Cifuentes wanted to wait a little and finish things in Sweden rather than moving straight to QPR at the start of the season. They've just beaten Leicester and likely they'll be fighting for playoffs next season with the right signings. It took him 4 months not the 3 years it took Pearson and we are still no closer to the playoffs. Why do we settle for such mediocrity? Pearson was mediocre and he's exclaimed like a hero around here I just truly don't get it.

• Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 6

2 minutes ago, Robinsfan said:

A counterpoint to the Pearson clamoring again with a point I've made in many threads today. QPR were dead-set for 24th under Ainsworth; since Cifuentes has joined (22 games I think now) they're now 10th in the form table a side who were in dire straights far far worse a position than we have ever been since we got promoted to the championship. We are lucky Cifuentes wanted to wait a little and finish things in Sweden rather than moving straight to QPR at the start of the season. They've just beaten Leicester and likely they'll be fighting for playoffs next season with the right signings. It took him 4 months not the 3 years it took Pearson and we are still no closer to the playoffs. Why do we settle for such mediocrity? Pearson was mediocre and he's exclaimed like a hero around here I just truly don't get it.

Here’s one for your list @joe jordans teeth

Just now, Robinsfan said:

Weird one considering I want Manning gone soon. Clamoring over mediocrity is crazy to me when clubs in far worse positions than us eclipse what we've spent 3 years building in 4 months.

Well I don’t really see a “clamouring”.  I do see people mournfully acknowledging the progress and togetherness that we’ve lost, in contrast to this shit show.  

A change of approach has worked for QPR. It hasn’t for us for the last 4? Managers

I can see why Pearson was binned mind,  I’m not immune to the various reasons and factors that led to the decision. 

With the aimless passing around at the back (simply giving the opposition time to reset) and the post match talk about “behaviours” (is that even a real word?) I feel I’m in a time warp and I’m watching a team coached by a combination of Sean O’Driscoll and Lee Johnson. 

Edited by Redland
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Robinsfan said:

Try adding some context, then you might see it.

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

Completely aggree. The passing around at the back is so fustrating, especally when we give it away or nothing comes of it. 

7 minutes ago, Redland said:

With the aimless passing around at the back (simply giving the opposition time to reset) and the post match talk about “behaviours” (is that even a real word?) I feel I’m in a time warp and I’m watching a team coached by a combination of Sean O’Driscoll and Lee Johnson. 

Just now, Barrs Court Red said:

Well I don’t really see a “clamouring”.  I do see people mournfully acknowledging the progress and togetherness that we’ve lost, in contrast to this shit show.  

A change of approach has worked for QPR. It hasn’t for us for the last 4? Managers

I can see why Pearson was binned mind,  I’m not immune to the various reasons and factors that led to the decision. 

I can acknowledge we've lost progress compared to where we were under Pearson to now but where we were under Pearson was quite clear after 3 years; midtable and we were never going to get promoted even if we were to give Pearson another 10 years. Then for the first time in eons, the board decided to show a little ambition and sack him and get someone new in. It hasn't worked and it looks like it won't but it was finally good to have a little ambition shown going to a manager who appeared to be on the up. The board needs to own up to their mistake with the Manning hire and find someone else it's not the end of the world as long as we keep our academy and recruitment going which with the signings of Stokes, Murphy, and Bird which seems like they were going to happen irrespective of the head-coach. Nearly every club has been hiring and firing head coaches like it's nothing in the championship the last couple of seasons what are we too good for that?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 3

7 minutes ago, Robinsfan said:

I can acknowledge we've lost progress compared to where we were under Pearson to now but where we were under Pearson was quite clear after 3 years; midtable and we were never going to get promoted even if we were to give Pearson another 10 years. 

I won’t bother with most of your post but , a ridiculous thing to say as you , I nor anyone else knows 

And it would have been at the least interesting to see what happened if we backed him ehhhh

I’d also suggest your ‘showed ambition’ was actually.... ‘know better’

You reflect that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I thought Andy King shouldnt be anywhere near the team eh? Manning’s picked him today. Tinnion is a problem for this club without a doubt. Ripped up all that Nige built and only knows League One. 

I thought King did well today.  talked organised and saw a pass.  Shame nobody else did.  Fell apart when he came off..IMO

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Try adding some context, then you might see it.

The reduction of the wage bill, the squad, and the injuries? Is that unique to us are we somehow special in this division? I'm not saying Pearson was a bad manager he was just mediocre and his tenure was mediocre. That's fine if that's our ambition the Lansdowns should've sat on their hands and continued buying low and selling high with a manager who was never gonna take us up or down. I just genuinely thought we had higher ambitions than this. Unfortunate. There are plenty of clubs that had far less, who were in far worse positions who did more than what we did under Pearson because they had a top-quality coach. 

My main point is that since we came up to the championship we've given every manager far too long in the job. That's all of them. I hope that with these recent developments, we've finally caught up to every other club in the division unless we now go and give Manning 2 years of midtable and poor football.

Edited by Robinsfan
  • Facepalm 3

Just now, Bodiesaffer said:

I thought King did well today.  talked organised and saw a pass.  Shame nobody else did.  Fell apart when he came off..IMO

Exactly the point I am making. Nige was told off for picking King as apparently he wasn’t good enough. Maybe someone was jealous they they took a cushty one club approach all career and didn’t win the PL like Kingy. Who knows. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Robinsfan said:

The reduction of the wage bill, the squad, and the injuries? Is that unique to us are we somehow special in this division? I'm not saying Pearson was a bad manager he was just mediocre and his tenure was mediocre. That's fine if that's our ambition the Lansdowns should've sat on their hands and continued buying low and selling high with a manager who was never gonna take us up or down. I just genuinely thought we had higher ambitions than this. Unfortunate. There are plenty of clubs that had far less, who were in far worse positions who did more than what we did under Pearson because they had a top-quality coach. 

The mess Ashton and LJ allegedly left behind following years of overspending, meant NP had to pull a rabbit out of a hat to make us competitive. This season was really the first season where we were less hamstrung financially and in typical City fashion had a lot of injuries. 

We weren't in a financial position (financially) to be hiring and firing coaches left right and centre. Then, once Nige had the opportunity to push on and improve us, we sacked him at the first sign of a bad run (during an injury crisis).

Context is important. QPR might've been playing crap football but they didnt have a crap squad, very different scenarios.

Edited by Puckle_red
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The reaction at the end..

Quite hostile IMO.

TBF and to give him his due Joe Williams got it as he held his hands up to Section 82. A lot of supporters just left, but there was a lot of hostility from those of us left. And unfortunately deserved as well, because that was an awful display. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Robinsfan said:

Weird one considering I want Manning gone soon. Clamoring over mediocrity is crazy to me when clubs in far worse positions than us eclipse what we've spent 3 years building in 4 months.

Their teams might have been in worse positions,but their clubs most certainly were not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robinsfan said:

Do you acknowledge what a mess things were when Pearson took over ?

He didn’t have 3 years of easy managing in his time here.

He had to right a sinking ship and we were only just started to find some calmer waters to start progressing when he was sacked.

Look at the opinions of pros such as Kasper Schmeichel, Matty James and Andy King with regards to Pearson.

Highly respected and acknowledge the role he played in preparing Leicester for their premier league victory 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

The mess Ashton and LJ left behind following years of overspending meant NP had to pull a rabbit out of a hat to keep us competitive. This was really the first season where we were less hamstrung financially and in typical City fashion had a lot of injuries. 

We weren't in a financial position to he hiring and firing coaches left right and centre. Then, once Nige had the opportunity to push on and improve us, we sacked him at the first sign of a bad run (during an injury crisis).

Context is important. QPR might've been playing crap football but they didnt have a crap squad, very different scenarios.

QPR absolutely did have a crap squad not as bad as it was under Ainsworth but certainly worse than ours. The financial angle is always odd to me since Pearson spent a very similar amount as Blackburn had during his tenure, and even before his tenure we outspent them. They also play more academy players than us yet they challenged for the playoffs while Pearson finished 17th and 14th decent achievements for sure clear slow progress but not amazing achievements like they're treated here. When you apply context to every other club Pearson's achievements become very mediocre. Which I stress again is fine it is the club we are I just thought we had higher ambitions than that.

My final point towards this thread in general is that we should hope Sheffield Wednesday goes down and hire Danny Rohl that right there is a manager who is working miracles with nothing.

Edited by Robinsfan

27 minutes ago, Robinsfan said:

My main point is that since we came up to the championship we've given every manager far too long in the job. That's all of them. I hope that with these recent developments, we've finally caught up to every other club in the division unless we now go and give Manning 2 years of midtable and poor football.

No, it’s not unique to us, but our mismanagement, like a couple of other teams caused us big problems, that Nige inherited.

Those group of clubs included Wednesday (relegated), Derby (relegated), Reading (relegated), a couple of others hung in, with points deductions.

Don’t confuse league position / progress with the mediocrity of the manager, he outperformed with what he had.  Nor confuse it with the ambition of the manager and his staff.

And this season we were seeing progress.  The hierarchy sabotaged him.

• Like 5
  • Flames 3

I can't say I was livid when NP was sacked. I honestly didn't think we were on a trajectory to get into the play offs, we seemed to be stuck in mediocrity. You can argue that was just down to lack of investment. However, Nige did seem to also have health issues which may have restricted what he could do. So I thought it was a reasonable decision to make a change.

What I was worried about though was who the Lansdowns would choose to replace Nige. Predictably they seem to have got it totally wrong yet again. Cheap option with no experience. They'll get L1 if they stick with him. I really see absolutely nothing positive that he's added since he took over.