IGNORED

Max Bird

JAWS

Could be regretting his recent career move before kicking a ball for his contracted club. In a bizarre twist it's entirely conceivable that he will be 'back' at his parent club playing in league one with his previously 'inferior' (league standing only) selling club in a higher division. He'll probaby have a relegation clause in his city contract too which means he could be earning less than had he stayed. Obviously hope it doesn't happen!

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

Just now, candygram for mongo said:

I was thinking about this the other day.

Do you think there is a clause in the contract that if City were to be relegated and Derby promoted the transfer could be cancelled.

He’s our player, the transfer was done in January.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

I was thinking about this the other day.

Do you think there is a clause in the contract that if City were to be relegated and Derby promoted the transfer could be cancelled.

We are not well run mate so absolutely not. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

As I said at the time to much derision on here, this is such a weird transfer.

I will wait to see how it pans out 

Is it? We paid a fee to steal a march on our rivals, its as simple as that.

Why is it weird?

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Is it? We paid a fee to steal a march on our rivals, its as simple as that.

Why is it weird?

I can completely understand why we did it & seems like it was the only way we would bag him. Think the weirdness is that Derby still perceived as a bigger club & likely to be back in championship at the least in the near future so just seemed odd from that perspective and that he saw us as a big enough step up. No doubt his wages were improved. 

And I guess that odd feeling might not seem so odd soon....

3 minutes ago, JAWS said:

I can completely understand why we did it & seems like it was the only way we would bag him. Think the weirdness is that Derby still perceived as a bigger club & likely to be back in championship at the least in the near future so just seemed odd from that perspective and that he saw us as a big enough step up. No doubt his wages were improved. 

Perhaps Knight was a pull factor. Back playing with Knight again, both came through at a similarish time at Derby etc.

Am quite glad we got him personally.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps Knight was a pull factor. Back playing with Knight again, both came through at a similarish time at Derby etc.

Yeah glad we signed him of course

4 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Well I imagine the wages and our undoubtedly good facilities probably helped. I went to university in Derby and no one in their right mind is arguing that Bristol is way nicer. 

Bird is a good player, we should be excited to see him play next season.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That’s the first I’ve heard of this. You should have been more vocal about him previously 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Because we were supposedly chasing top 6 and we needed players now.

To be fair, I, and many others, in January said that we weren’t going up (I also said we weren’t going down but less said there!) so spending substantially didn’t make sense. The one transaction I had a real problem with was the loan of Twine in view of there being no option and it (at the time) being the difference between 12th and 13th in reality.

Nobody could have foreseen just how bad we’d get (the signs were there, I just didn’t think it’d come this quickly) - but signing Bird and Stokes in the manner we did I thought at the time and still do was sensible business.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Because we were supposedly chasing top 6 and we needed players now.

I thought it was weird on his part, not waiting to look at all his options in the summer, even if he made the same decision. .not as if we're Real Madrid or something....totally get it from Derby and City's prospective ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

I’m sure he’s not regretting it, one single bit - probably trebled his wages coming here.

Looking forward to him being in our midfield, alongside Knight next season 

My point was his new club could be in league one & his old club replace us in the championship so he might regret it then....especially if a relegation clause for reduced wages which I would imagine is standard 

3 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

I thought it was weird on his part, not waiting to look at all his options in the summer, even if he made the same decision. .not as if we're Real Madrid or something....totally get it from Derby and City's prospective ...

👏

30 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

He could get an ACL or his form drop off limiting options in the summer, he secured what he thinks is Championship football with the move, he was obviously happy with us as a club

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, I, and many others, in January said that we weren’t going up (I also said we weren’t going down but less said there!) so spending substantially didn’t make sense. The one transaction I had a real problem with was the loan of Twine in view of there being no option and it (at the time) being the difference between 12th and 13th in reality.

Nobody could have foreseen just how bad we’d get (the signs were there, I just didn’t think it’d come this quickly) - but signing Bird and Stokes in the manner we did I thought at the time and still do was sensible business.

Yea I'm not necessarily unhpapy with the transfer window from a realistic view

But in the context of the things coming out from the club, it's a weird transfer and window in general

14 hours ago, JAWS said:

Could be regretting his recent career move before kicking a ball for his contracted club. In a bizarre twist it's entirely conceivable that he will be 'back' at his parent club playing in league one with his previously 'inferior' (league standing only) selling club in a higher division. He'll probaby have a relegation clause in his city contract too which means he could be earning less than had he stayed. Obviously hope it doesn't happen!

Yeh right- obvs.

This from the poster who brought us similar classics such as:

'I'm taking my ball & I'm going home' 

Perhaps you may wish to consider that any prospective player coming to BCFC is going to make a decision based on his Agent/money/opportunity/location and discussions with fellow professionals/friends/family etc.

The last place on earth any player would check is otib in the negative nonsense threads started by you and your ilk. If they did then there would be a world wide boycott on discussing a career move to BCFC. Bristol City is not the graveyard of ambition but your threads are.

1 hour ago, xerox6060 said:

Well , he would have been at Derby through the Mel Morris years and I wonder if all the administration, relegation and turmoil had a part in him wanting out.
Then we come in , steady Championship Club, offering more money and at the time we were 4 points off the playoffs . 
TBF it seems a decent move.
He may see us as a stepping stone , good chance of playing regularly and then looking at either a chance of us going up or him moving on. Maybe he could have waited and hoped a bigger Club comes in , but no guarantee , and for him nothing changes in his day to day except his wages .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JAWS said:

I’m not trying to be rude but what a pointless thing to say.

37 minutes ago, WeAreThePigs said:

I’m not trying to be rude but what a pointless thing to say.

Why? This forum is full of speculation & that scenario is one that could happen. We could be relegated as is widely debated and derby are on verge of top 2. Or is this just a fact forum? 

12 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

I would think that both Jason Knight and Bird will be having words with their agents…

I'm sure players come here full of hope and excitement about what they can achieve with us and then realise the best they can hope for is to use us as a stepping stone to better things.....

• Like 1