IGNORED

Tinnion on SotC

1960maaan

18 minutes ago, 38MC said:

He isn’t going to last much longer. No doubt about it in my eyes. I don’t like the Lansdowns, I don’t respect the lansdowns, I don’t trust the Lansdown’s… but they will have been listening and they will have been holding their heads in their hands at him going out like that just before ST renewal. 

I just hope even those intending to renew leave it very, very late. 

Steve will have seen the attendance and felt the atmosphere on Sunday and he’ll not be happy. Not one jot. He has sacked Tinnion once, and he’ll be doing it again soon 

Don’t hold your breath.

Tinnion will knife Manning in the back first, he’ll be around as long as SL is owner, “trust me on Tinnion”.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s created a bigger “them and us” with that interview.

TD - Technical Director or Tact and Diplomacy 

Completely agree Fevs. Incredibly he’s actually made a dreadful situation worse. 

The “30 years” comment was so arrogant; no one is entitled anything just through time served, least of someone who in the last year has behaved the way he has. 

I think we all knew he was going to back Manning, as indeed does Lansdown, and this doubled down on that. With one or two signings in summer, Manning going nowhere and an ambition that’s as high as ten points better than we are now it’s a very depressing period in our history. 

• Like 1

Just now, 38MC said:

I’m not sure that necessarily means Manning is gone as well. It would make sense for them both to go, but the pair of them is toxic. 

One obvious way to give Manning some breathing room and to appease the fans is to get rid of this wholly unqualified, out of his depth, blagger who showed again his narcissistic tendencies and his inability to be trusted with private and sensitive data relating to transfers. 

I think it would do Manning the world of good to have a chance without Tinnion above him. I don’t personally hold the belief it would come good even that way, but it’s so toxic, they drag each other down or you back one horse. Right now, even though Manning doesn’t show enough, Tinnion should go based on tonight alone. The 30 year comment was utterly atrocious 

Manning is an atrocious appointment. But I don't have anything against the bloke personally. He's far too boring to extract any such reaction. 

But he needs to go. Tinnion needs to go. 

But above and beyond all else, the Lansdowns need to go.

• Like 9
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t hold your breath.

Tinnion will knife Manning in the back first, he’ll be around as long as SL is owner, “trust me on Tinnion”.

Steve’s done it once to him and now he has no option to do it again. Tonight’s interview was sackworthy.

- 30 years comment and subtle as a car crash digs at the fans ,

- disclosing transfer fees,

- setting out less than ambitious targets points wise next year,

- setting the scene for a quiet summer transfer window 

against the backdrop of severely low attendances, low mood around the fan base, apathy, just before they’re going to ask us to renew. 

Tinnion really effed up tonight. Really effed up. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

The Lansdown’s tried to lie to us in October. We pressed them for reasons on Pearson’s dismissal and got what we wanted - a lie so glaring that we could throw it back at them. ‘Pearson was fired for underachieving with a top 6 squad’. We got them. Tonight was as good as a concession - he wasn’t fired for footballing reasons. 

For me - SL and JL are the root of the problem. But they don’t just run the show - they own it. There is very little we can do.

On Tinnion - he’s a club legend and his work with the academy has been outstanding. The technical director role… a rocky start. But I DO believe he loves the club, wants what’s best for it, and can (hopefully) turn it around. 

On Manning - he was offered a job to lead our great club. A massive promotion from Oxford United, let’s be honest. So he took it. He seems to me to be a football obsessive who will sink all his time and energy into trying to deliver what we all want. The lie the Lansdown’s told meant he was on a hiding to nothing. His start has had problems, but he’s clearly not going anywhere nor is he culpable for the nonsense of last October. I hope we can all come together a bit, the fans, the squad, Manning and his team and go into next season with a bit of renewed vigour. 

The owners effed up no end in October. But the squad and LM are here fighting for us now. 

Well put - and totally agree. 

Was always going to be an interview that received backlash no matter what Tinnion said. Personally I quite like that he was a bit defensive, he’s passionate about our football club. Not some corporate robot that doesn’t understand football the way we do. 

Also don’t think he meant don’t compare us to coventry they’ve sold two players for tens of millions. Think he meant comparing us to them this season is futile, whereas maybe we will be spending the money we got for our two players this summer so a better comparison can be made off the back of that. 

I could be very wrong so i apologise but i don’t think at any point Tinnion said we had a top 6 squad? The only person who said that was JL. Tinnion obviously has a better grasp on our current squad/championship in general and henceforth didn’t say that. 

10 points better off would give us a season average that would get us playoffs in 2/4 of the last championship seasons. So essentially he wants to be either in or right on the brink of play offs 37 games into next season? Think that’s a perfectly acceptable goal imo. 

The only things I thought were glaringly wrong with the interview were his comments on TC and Bajic. Maybe showing his inexperience in the role there, but talking about their future live on air probably not a brilliant idea. Saying we want to keep TC but have three strikers next year for a manager who plays one was just a silly thing to say. 

The root of our problems lie right at the top and they are infecting everything else on the way down. JL might still be passionate about the club but his father certainly isn’t. And quite frankly they’ve had their chances. 

Condensed opinions: 

Lansdowns - Out 

Tinnion - needs people with experience around him, experts at running a football operation, but still think he was better suited as academy director. 

Manning - Very unsure, off of what we have seen don’t think he is currently the man for the job, would need to finish the season with a better points tally then the last one for that opinion to change. 

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, 38MC said:

Steve’s done it once to him and now he has no option to do it again. Tonight’s interview was sackworthy.

- 30 years comment and subtle as a car crash digs at the fans ,

- disclosing transfer fees,

- setting out less than ambitious targets points wise next year,

- setting the scene for a quiet summer transfer window 

against the backdrop of severely low attendances, low mood around the fan base, apathy, just before they’re going to ask us to renew. 

Tinnion really effed up tonight. Really effed up. 

I will be willing to bet he’s still here after Manning isn’t, unless the Lansdowns have sold up.

He’s a moron but I don’t think for a minute SL will sack him.

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

So what did you want him to say?

A bit more bloody ambition than that when they have to announce renewal prices in the next week or so. At least lie like they did when they sacked Pearson. 

Edited by 38MC

His very few 'supporters' can say it wasn't that bad (damning with faint praise) and that whatever he said we'd pick up on:

Yes, no shit sherlock - If you're the technical director of a championship football club, at least be over the basic details and get them right -

He's given us 2 or 3 statements that are either bare-faced lies or incompetently incorrect - neither answer is good.

And then he's topped it off with some gem's like - I've been here 30 years I deserve this position, Manning is learning on the job, we want to be 10 points better off next year and disclosing disclosed transfer fees.

All whilst insulting the fan base as if we'd all just get behind them all will be fine.

An awful appearance from SL's worst (both times, can't make it up 🤣) appointment.

• Like 3
  • Flames 4

11 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It seems t me that whatever Brian said in the interview, people have mentally condemned him.  I thought he was open and passionate and gave us some interesting insights.  He is not a politician but is clearly passionate about our club and maybe, after some mature reflection, people will see that he has helped to bring good players into our club and has generated enormous value with his efforts.  I hope he stays because we will find it hard to find a more devoted and enthusiastic football person to be our TD.  Thank you Brian, I appreciate your efforts and achievements.

Its clear that no matter what he said, the knives would be out on here. Any answer he gave to the 10 point question,  he would have had shite thrown at him. Someone said he isnt a legend of the club, but scott murray is, how do you quantify that? Up until last October tinnion would certainly have qualified as a legend. Apart from potentially having to actually give nige the news, the decision to replace, or keep nige was not in his hands.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

Just now, GrahamC said:

I will be willing to bet he’s still here after Manning isn’t, unless the Lansdowns have sold up.

He’s a moron but I don’t think for a minute SL will sack him.

I’m not a gambler and I give SL very little credit, but I credit him with a little more ruthlessness. Backing Tinnion is going to hit him in his pocket way more than ‘sorry Brian here’s a good severance package mate’ - look at the attendances 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 38MC said:

I’m not a gambler and I give SL very little credit, but I credit him with a little more ruthlessness. Backing Tinnion is going to hit him in his pocket way more than ‘sorry Brian here’s a good severance package mate’ - look at the attendances 

He won't back him. He doesn't speak any more. 

But he won't fire him. He'd have to clean his own backside.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fact Check:

(and thanks to Paul Binning / Exiled Robin who got there before I did)

Kieron McKenna, first 12….Tins “he only won 2”:

image.png.3b6b519c95e7453558924d0e88983ca0.png

first 12:

W7 D3 L2 Pts 24

first 17 before defeat v Cambridge

W10 D4 L3 Pts 34

Anyone think he might’ve thought red was wins?

40 minutes ago, Ecko said:

Incredibly amateur to put a specific number on next seasons point total. Hasn't BT learned from JL's mistakes of saying this squad has a top 6 squad. All this does will be further pressure on Manning next season. 

Also, BT is thick in saying this right before next season's season ticket prices will be released. Does he really think we will flock to purchase a season ticket, where he has publicly stated that the ambition is to be 10 points better off?! 

Laughable, amateurish, joker. 

Think all the evidence is there as Fevs has pointed out for all.

Chucking figures at an interview thinking it makes him sound clever.

Then turns out he's colour-blind and can't read.

Just now, Superjack said:

He won't back him. He doesn't speak any more. 

But he won't fire him. He'd have to clean his own backside.

We’ll see. Personally putting cock on the block, Tinnion will be gone by 1 June 

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Max.

The number of touches he has had this season likely makes him the player most improved with the ball at his feet.

Just need to work on that bit when he kicks it now.

Oh wow! Just goes to show how well the team are playing when the goal keeper touches the ball more.

Easy for him though as the ball rarely goes up the other end...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 38MC said:

A bit more bloody ambition than that when they have to announce renewal prices in the next week or so. At least lie like they did when they sacked Pearson. 

But thats the problem, the reality is no matter what he said those on here who are against BT / LM / JL /SL, will find fault and say why did he say that

I thought it was a fair interview with difficult questions at a difficult time for the club. He did not have to go on, but whatever he said is going to be twisted and taken apart on here.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 4

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Me too.  We couldn’t replace Alex Scott, who looked on fire preseason, adding goals to his undoubted PL ability.

But we could add a bit of quality and increase depth…and actually get us to a 22 man fit squad.

For me, two signings of the ilk / profile of Knight or Dickie, would’ve been enough.  Didn’t have to spend much, maybe £3m (total not each) and £12k p.w wages each over 3/4 year contract, would’ve been £2m on this year’s budget.  They’d just brought in £20m and the summer signings probably used circa £4m of that, not forgetting the wage bill had lost Kalas, Massengo, Dasilva, Moore.

Would've added a bit of a rotation / rest option too.

But they bullshitted us.  I’m sure Alexander was fighting for his job on SOTC.  That wasn’t his words.

They set Nigel up to fail.  Unnecessary and unforgivable imho.

Would really love to hear what Phil Alexander has to say about the board/senior employees. Would be very revealing me thinks. 

Thought the same all season RE a couple of additions. For me, a couple £1-2m signings in the key areas we lost with championship experience could’ve made a huge difference. Only lost three games all season by more than a 1 goal margin. Some composure and championship know how could’ve changed quite a few results I feel. (There’s a reason our midfield looks best when matty james is playing in it!) 

And there were some top talents ooc in the summer as well, still feel if we went if for Ogbene sooner we could’ve got him in. 

Felt like such a good opportunity to push on with a manager that had galvanised virtually every stakeholder at the club. 

Feeling angry now even talking about it, like you said unnecessary and completely unforgivable!

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 9

16 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It seems that you would be happier supporting Oxo. Good luck with that,

Heaven knows I need it!

However more on topic. Brian has been a great servant. I think I was at his first game (away at Swindon, if not first very close). 

But this isn’t the first time things have blown up around him! 

I’m not sure Danny Wilson would be surprised by any of this. 

The decision to sack Pearson was ultimately Mr Marshall and Mr Lansdown’s decision almost certainly rubber stamped by SL. 

To what extent that decision was driven by Brian we will never know, but we do know now with some certainty that Brian was a part of the process of bringing Mr Manning in and this awful football we play. 

As it’s been pointed out season ticket renewals are on the horizon and we are dreadful to watch. Follow the money. I would also be very surprised to think that going on the radio was a decision taken by Brian in isolation. A winning team got booed this weekend!

Give Brian my best wishes for the Youth Cup, getting to the final goes someway to saving a season that’s been miserable since October! 

• Like 2