IGNORED

A £60m Football Club Owner

Davefevs

Ours...from Bristol Sport...

Our Values

Collaborative: As part of a wider group always remember our sporting partners and our community.

Honest: To do the right thing – always with integrity and honesty.

Ambitious: We never settle for second best. Engage, excite and entertain.

Maverick: To be bold and challenge the norm. To have confidence in doing it our own way.

Progressive: To be innovative in pushing for what’s possible. Breaking new ground and constantly evolving to be world class

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

They are out there. Mercury/13 just closed on their first acquisition - buying Como Women in Italy. They're looking to exclusively invest in women's teams. See here https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/12/mercury13-the-group-aiming-to-rethink-football-ownership-moving-the-goalposts

In England though I think there's a way to go before women's teams are viable investments independent of a men's team. 

We're only just seeing marketing and rights deals that are tied exclusively to a women's team, and those are only with the biggest women's teams like Arsenal. It's quite a leap from there to having an entity that can stand on its own feet.

It's possible that the formation of "NewCo" to take ownership of the WSL moves is closer to that viability, but a lot will depend on the value of NewCo, and therefore that basically depends on the value of the broadcast deals that NewCo can do. Currently those remain tiny compared to the men's game.

So my view is that right now BCFC Women will stay with BCFC Men and will have common ownership. Could well change one day though.

perhaps there's a different way instead of TV rights? Smaller sums yes but maybe better in the long run

• Like 1

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

perhaps there's a different way instead of TV rights? Smaller sums yes but maybe better in the long run

Depends what you're after doesn't it. If you want female players to earn £300,000 a week and play in a 60,000 seater stadium owned by that women's team then I think you'll need to go for the mega-rights deals. Sponsorship might get there, but it would be surprising to get a sponsorship deal in the same stratosphere as the broadcast deals we see in the men's game.

If that's not the target though then yeh alternative income streams are out there.

I think the stadium point is also going to become an issue. All the big stadia are owned by men's team's. Taking us as an example of BCFC Women was sold out from under BCFC Men then they absolutely become a tenant at AG entirely dependent on us. So they're not really their own force are they? As it stands they have a licence to use the HPC and AG, same as our mens team do. But the licence is granted by a company owned by the same guy who owns them, so it's all ok in terms of risk.

A women's team that has separate owners from those who own it's "natural" stadium would always, always, be at risk of becoming a nomadic team without a home.

So there's potentially a big hurdle there in the future.

I'm not trying to shit on the dreams of the women's game here, but there are going to be some big questions to answer if it's ever to operate entirely independently from the behemoth that is the men's football industry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Maybe with the stadium included, but with their premier league history, id imagine west brom are regarded at least 1 level above us, if not 2. Its always curious to me though, with so many clubs around there, how the likes of west brom and wolves are consistently in and around the premier league with good support, yet we never manage it, our catchment area is huge, which might be the reason we have a high value. actually i think we all know the reason why we never manage it.

The problem is we have too many people that support Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Man United in our catchment area. At least thats how it feels to me. Whereas if you are in the WBA or Wolves catchment area you support WBA or Wolves. 

7 minutes ago, Bobtherobin said:

The problem is we have too many people that support Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Man United in our catchment area. At least thats how it feels to me. Whereas if you are in the WBA or Wolves catchment area you support WBA or Wolves. 

That is one angle, but they have a history of success or relative success which retains a core fanbase.

Mix of issues probably.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Depends what you're after doesn't it. If you want female players to earn £300,000 a week and play in a 60,000 seater stadium owned by that women's team then I think you'll need to go for the mega-rights deals. Sponsorship might get there, but it would be surprising to get a sponsorship deal in the same stratosphere as the broadcast deals we see in the men's game.

If that's not the target though then yeh alternative income streams are out there.

I think the stadium point is also going to become an issue. All the big stadia are owned by men's team's. Taking us as an example of BCFC Women was sold out from under BCFC Men then they absolutely become a tenant at AG entirely dependent on us. So they're not really their own force are they? As it stands they have a licence to use the HPC and AG, same as our mens team do. But the licence is granted by a company owned by the same guy who owns them, so it's all ok in terms of risk.

A women's team that has separate owners from those who own it's "natural" stadium would always, always, be at risk of becoming a nomadic team without a home.

So there's potentially a big hurdle there in the future.

I'm not trying to shit on the dreams of the women's game here, but there are going to be some big questions to answer if it's ever to operate entirely independently from the behemoth that is the men's football industry.

As long as those questions are being asked. 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is one angle, but they have a history of success or relative success which retains a core fanbase.

Mix of issues probably.

Funnily enough my Dad is a Wolves fan. He is from Weston-super-Mare and I have no idea why he supports Wolves. I guess as you say success is a part of that, and I think Wolves were successful in the 50s. I was taken to loads of Wolves games before I even realised Bristol City existed as a kid. They only had 2 open sides of the ground in those days but there was a special atmosphere.  Anyway I started supporting City in 1985 when I could.come to games with my mates, and its been a miserable experience ever since 🙂

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bobtherobin said:

Think you'll find those clubs mentioned have fans allover the country no area would be gloryhunter free.... 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

They are out there. Mercury/13 just closed on their first acquisition - buying Como Women in Italy. They're looking to exclusively invest in women's teams. See here https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/12/mercury13-the-group-aiming-to-rethink-football-ownership-moving-the-goalposts

In England though I think there's a way to go before women's teams are viable investments independent of a men's team. 

We're only just seeing marketing and rights deals that are tied exclusively to a women's team, and those are only with the biggest women's teams like Arsenal. It's quite a leap from there to having an entity that can stand on its own feet.

It's possible that the formation of "NewCo" to take ownership of the WSL moves is closer to that viability, but a lot will depend on the value of NewCo, and therefore that basically depends on the value of the broadcast deals that NewCo can do. Currently those remain tiny compared to the men's game.

So my view is that right now BCFC Women will stay with BCFC Men and will have common ownership. Could well change one day though.

This is another example of them missing opportunities.

£500k it would've taken to keep the women's team in the WSL.  Decent average crowd.  Clear growth. 

• Flames 1

35 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I can't see people actively pursuing that model. I can see people investing for a lower cost, more sustainable kind of structure though.

47 minutes ago, spudski said:

Our Values

Collaborative: As part of a wider group always remember our sporting partners and our community.

Maverick: To be bold and challenge the norm. To have confidence in doing it our own way.

Progressive: To be innovative in pushing for what’s possible. Breaking new ground and constantly evolving to be world class

Change ambitious to unambitious and you change Champ to chump.....

45 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Think you'll find those clubs mentioned have fans allover the country no area would be gloryhunter free.... 

There is truth but in modern times and there were big hits everywhere from late 1970s to mid 1980s and then a recovery period after, in relatively modern times again there is generally a floor on their average attendances.

Plus clubs even those who aren't top top but who have a wider spread of fans.. Leeds for example, Newcastle ironically I knew 2 at school drawn towards them as their 'glory team' despite no major trophies since 1968. Etc. Reckon Aston Villa have a reasonable spread much as I find them arrogant etc.

Just checked e.g. and also @Bobtherobin Wolves lowest average League attendance last 30 years was 19.2k.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

54 minutes ago, spudski said:

Our Values

Imagine being a consultant and being able to charge for meaningless crap like 5 pillars.  Literally copy and paste values from one corporate to the next

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

My biggest fear is Jon Lansdown becoming overall owner of the club. He is at the heartbeat of everything wrong at City. He's like a child.

Lansdown junior would not cope. It won’t happen.
Quite frankly, the Lansdowns need to sell up now, rather than wait to get relegated next season and then try to sell up.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

57 minutes ago, Bobtherobin said:

You are right, but Bristol City & Bristol Rovers are known as Bristol Tinpot United!! Embarrassing.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

There seem to be more than average in my circle of friends and contacts and I have lived in and around Bristol for 50 years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Separating out the Women's team is often one I see on here..you mention the men's team.

Would be a fairly interesting step to buy one without the other- to separate it out us possible if course but the cost base really isn't so high for one and secondly it sits under the Football club anyway..can we think if any other recent takeovers whereby this has occurred?

Dunno…. My thinking was more about focus… let’s get the men’s team winning before anything else. 
The lack of focus is a massive problem for BS:  how many of these have been started and successfully reached a higher point in their relative sport: football, rugby, basketball, women’s football? Weren’t there also netball and motor sport elements at one stage? How about focusing on one, making it successful before starting the next? It’s a bonkers model. 

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Er...liberty, equality, fraternity...maybe diversity...and...insanity?

Or…..

Nepotism, stagnation, short-termism, nest egg and colouring in  

I think that was it and I’m bought into it. I’m off to buy my Brian Tinnion 30th anniversary full kit. 

• Haha 2