IGNORED

Jay Dasilva?

11 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

To play for Wales, aside from being a native, your parent or grandparents can be Welsh or failing that, you just have to have had a dump in one of the service stations on the Welsh stretch of the M4.

Yep, I was offered a call-up myself recently.. And not because my parents or grandparents are Welsh

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, White Stripe said:

How about if you were born in England, to your knowledge none of your grandparents were Welsh but 5% of your DNA is Welsh? Can you play for Wales then?

Asking for a friend...

I used to donate blood to the Welsh Blood service to give some Welsh players the option of playing for England instead.

• Haha 1

I think the way players are allowed to decide they're one nationality when playing youth football then suddenly switch to being another as an adult on the basis of a grandparent is a loophole that should be stopped. Play for England U21 and you remain English. Especially if you grew up in f-ing Luton. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Hxj said:

There is no such nationality as English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish for players.  Nakhi Wells, Alex Scott and Tommy Conway could under FIFA rules all play for Wales.

No they absolutely could not. Good lord.

We all have separate national teams so of course English, Scottish, Northern Irish and Scottish are nationalities in football. Sweet Jesus lad.  

The only way any of those you mentioned could play for Wales under FIFA rules is by living there for 5 years. Except the Home Nations all have a gentlemen’s agreement to not pick any naturalised players. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

No they absolutely could not. Good lord.

We all have separate national teams so of course English, Scottish, Northern Irish and Scottish are nationalities in football. Sweet Jesus lad.  

The only way any of those you mentioned could play for Wales under FIFA rules is by living there for 5 years. Except the Home Nations all have a gentlemen’s agreement to not pick any naturalised players. 

Alex Scott could.

1 hour ago, Hxj said:

There is no such nationality as English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish for players.  Nakhi Wells, Alex Scott and Tommy Conway could under FIFA rules all play for Wales.

Nakhi Wells is from Bermuda for a start!

• Flames 1

23 hours ago, Bcfc willzyak said:

I thought he was English? Now playing for wales this month, I’m confused 

Meanwhile a player who has represented England at U18 and U19 level has opted to play for Ghana's national team. Being cynical perhaps some players decide "I'm not quite good enough for England, but  I can still be an International elsewhere".

When my son was 18 he said "If I moved to somewhere like Andorra or Gibraltar now, in ten years time I'll be a naturalised citizen and at 28 still young enough to play football for their national team".

31 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Alex Scott could.

He got Welsh parents/grandparents then? Can’t find any info saying he’s eligible for Wales. Not that he’d ever play for them

32 minutes ago, Selred said:

Nakhi Wells is from Bermuda for a start!

With just the *checks notes* 25 caps as well. 

22 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

To play for Wales, aside from being a native, your parent or grandparents can be Welsh or failing that, you just have to have had a dump in one of the service stations on the Welsh stretch of the M4.

He probably qualifies on all 3

23 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

probably count most City fans in then

Always shit on the Weeeeeelsh side of the bridge 🎶

13 hours ago, WWred said:

Yep, I was offered a call-up myself recently.. And not because my parents or grandparents are Welsh

Yes, about those sheep .............!:shocking:

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think the way players are allowed to decide they're one nationality when playing youth football then suddenly switch to being another as an adult on the basis of a grandparent is a loophole that should be stopped. Play for England U21 and you remain English. Especially if you grew up in f-ing Luton. 

I did a dna test not so long ago, i was born in bristol and always lived in england for the most part but apparently my dna has zero English in it... its got welsh, irish and Scottish tho 🤣

So in my opinion if your born in the uk your basically got every right to qualify for either of the home nations ...

2 hours ago, Hxj said:

Screenshot 2024-03-14 150638.png

They still have to live in that place for 5 years or have a relative from there be able to play for the national team. The Home Nations don’t allow naturalisation so Wells was never eligible for us or Wales or Scotland or NI.  

Same way someone born in Hong Kong isn’t eligible for the Chinese National Team. He’d be eligible for Hong Kong’s. 

Passport does not equal eligible. Most places you’ll be able to get a passport long before you become eligible to play internationally for them. 

I, obviously, have a British passport but I couldn’t play for Scotland because I don’t have any Scottish relatives. I could play for Wales though as my granddad was Welsh. That’s how it works here. 

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

So you'd deny someone the opportunity to play on the World stage ie The World Cup?

On 13/03/2024 at 16:48, White Stripe said:

How about if you were born in England, to your knowledge none of your grandparents were Welsh but 5% of your DNA is Welsh? Can you play for Wales then?

Asking for a friend...

Does your friend feel an attraction to sheep?  That could be the clincher if so.