IGNORED

Board rebuild first...

extonsred

I still think a manager could perform in spite of what’s above him…and actually influence those above to change / educate them.  But appreciate it might need an ally or at least someone with an open mind in there too.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still think a manager could perform in spite of what’s above him…and actually influence those above to change / educate them.  But appreciate it might need an ally or at least someone with an open mind in there too.

There are at least a couple who have a lot of space in their mind 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you're right, if the person was talented enough and willing enough to 'play the game'. I do think, no matter how good you are, there will always be a ceiling with the current structure (which I find increasingly bizarre) and incumbents (less said the better) though. I just can't see their willingness to be influenced bending too much!

The value of the work Richard Gould did is becoming increasingly evident day by day! Dam his love of cricket!

• Like 10
  • Flames 4

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don't think anyone decent would dream of coming here with the present set up. Noone to oversee development in a number of areas and support will be of no interest to any applicant.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, extonsred said:

Don't think anyone decent would dream of coming here with the present set up. Noone to oversee development in a number of areas and support will be of no interest to any applicant.

But we’ve already got a top end squad’ what’s not to like’😳

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Moulin Rougier and @ExiledAjax - yes, I think you’re right in terms of ceiling / how far.  I guess I’d rather get a new manager in place, build something on the pitch that might give time for the ownership situation to resolve itself.

I'm not so sure. Would they employ someone with the balls to challenge the hierarchy? 

When I'm considering board level, I'm thinking JL and BT. 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Moulin Rougier and @ExiledAjax - yes, I think you’re right in terms of ceiling / how far.  I guess I’d rather get a new manager in place, build something on the pitch that might give time for the ownership situation to resolve itself.

And, I think there is an argument to say that realistically we only need someone who can get us going for what...35-40 league games?

What do we actually need to do to get a top 6 spot and maybe promotion?

70-75 points (70 is probably enough but let's get ambitious). If someone can get us to a point where we turn in 1.9ppg over 38 games we land on 72. 

So there is a case to say that it's legit to get someone very high calibre in, and give him a season. One season. Put up with the drama behind the scenes, and get the team performing enough to just do it. Ismael?

This is probably much much harder to do than it is to write, and it would be at the cost of absolutely all long-term planning or structuring. But the skeleton and underlying position of the Club next season has an awful lot of potential. Would be a shame to waste that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

No decent manager will work under the current set up.

• Like 5

Not sure if this is the correct thread to be placing this comment, but I wonder if Scott Davidson would be open to coming back as Chairman, with JL moving into a different position i.e. President etc.

Always thought that Scott had the ambition and communication skills for the role. He never got things 100% right, but his heart was in the right place, and he's still heavily involved with various Bristol City related projects still.

Edited by beaverface
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The conundrum is, what are the chances of this shower actually identifying, or even wanting that right manager, let alone convincing them to come here under the current regime?

It feels like we’re in a real catch 22 situation right now and the only way it appears that can be broken is if the man at the top decides to finally sell up.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, beaverface said:

Not sure if this is the correct thread to be placing this comment, but I wonder if Scott Davidson would be open to coming back as Chairman, with JL moving into a different position i.e. President etc.

Always thought that Scott had the ambition and communication skills for the role. He ever got things 100% right, but his heart was in the right place, and he's still heavily involved with various Bristol City related projects still.

Not sure you can suggest that the lansdowns heart is not in the right place, Steve Lansdown has provided so much for this club we should be massively grateful.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 5

30 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Whilst we have two directors beholden to the ultimate owner, we will not have that. We have a de facto dictatorship and in my opinion within that set up every manager will either become subsumed by the miasma of mediocrity (Manning, Johnson), or he'll die trying to disperse it (Pearson, Cotterill, even Coppell).

Paragraph of the year!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Not sure you can suggest that the lansdowns heart is not in the right place, Steve Lansdown has provided so much for this club we should be massively grateful.

I can categorically say that I am NOT suggesting the Lansdown's heart hasn't been in it, because I think they have put a lot of time, effort and money into the club, I just feel they're just losing their sense of direction nowadays and aren't reading the room any more.

I'm merely commenting on Scott Davidson's previously putting his heart into the roll. Please don't infer it any other way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strangely I think we could still be quite attractive to a potential manager.  With a typical managerial ego, they might well think they can be the one to turn this "sleeping giant" around and make their name.  And despite all the criticisms of the structure, that stats show that we do typically give managers more time than most other Championship clubs.

Worryingly there's threads like this each time before the next re-shuffle almost identical. For someone so successful, they've made some very expensive mistakes ironically going for the cheaper option in the short-term.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I agree Dave, I think the issue here is Manning is not the right fit nor is he up to the task. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beaverface said:

I can categorically say that I am NOT suggesting the Lansdown's heart hasn't been in it, because I think they have put a lot of time, effort and money into the club, I just feel they're just losing their sense of direction nowadays and aren't reading the room any more.

I'm merely commenting on Scott Davidson's previously putting his heart into the roll. Please don't infer it any other way.

The problem is that outside of the top premiership clubs who make money football clubs aren't comparable to other PLCs with vast numbers of shareholders and independent board members because they are hugely loss making and rely upon a single large shareholder putting ?£10m a year in, or whatever, to keep them solvent.

If I owned a club and it was personally financing it to that degree then I wouldn't be giving other board members the power to overrule me.

The ideal is probably a Scott Davison type Chairman bringing in, as he did, wealthy individuals as shareholders and directors to fund the club and make decisions collectively.

SL has said he is open to new investors coming in so maybe that will happen and SL will take the Scott Davison role, until then he's paying for everything so he's going to make the decisions.

I would do that, anyone would do that.

• Like 1

I think it’s very difficult for any manger / head coach to be successful at this level with the current regime in place.

The is definitely a change in culture required.

Micro-management and mistrust need to be replaced by trust, delegation of responsibility, integrity, authenticity innovation and collaboration.

Drop the ‘them and us’ attitude, create unity (definitely visible during Nigel’s reign - at least externally)

Give the manager / head coach the ability to identify their own targets, not just pick one or two from a list identified by the hierarchy. 

Obviously there needs to be an understanding of our financial position and a pathway for our academy players, but the priority should be to preserve current league status as a minimum.

Don’t sack a manager / head coach unless the club is in a relegation battle (avoid instability).

As soon as directors say things like “It’s my club”, well, that said all I needed to know a few years back.

Will always be grateful for the investment, but future success requires a monumental shift in mindset and culture and I don’t think that the current regime is capable of that.

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Robin 1