IGNORED

Older Dinosaurs

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thanks for reposting. There is one comment on the thread that sticks out, and if anyone was in any doubt how much of a bollocks up Lansdown, Manning and Tinnion have made just read this:

IMG_2766.jpeg

It's sad to read that post from only 6 months ago.

I think if we are completely honest none of us expected NP to be here long term, and  at the start of this season I expected that a combination of his age and health would mean him not wanting a new contract at the end of this season. With the work he'd put in, I anticipated that come the end of the season we'd be in a good position to attract a decent quality manager to take things on - perhaps being able to do things with the team that NP couldn't because of the financial constraints under which he was forced to work.

It is increasingly looking like the club forcing Pearson's departure mid-season has been a massive own goal. Compounded only by the club now finding itself in a no win position, as if things continue to deteriorate on field then sacking Manning will only confirm the flawed decision to sack Pearson and appoint Manning. The danger of not sacking Manning is that it could well continue to unravel all the rebuilding work Pearson undertook in difficult circumstances.

Unfortunately this could well turn into the latest version of City's one step forward, two steps back approach.

Bristol City - proven exerts at clutching defeat from the jaws of victory!:grr:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

19 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think if we are completely honest none of us expected NP to be here long term, and  at the start of this season I expected that a combination of his age and health would mean him not wanting a new contract at the end of this season. With the work he'd put in, I anticipated that come the end of the season we'd be in a good position to attract a decent quality manager to take things on - perhaps being able to do things with the team that NP couldn't because of the financial constraints under which he was forced to work.

It is increasingly looking like the club forcing Pearson's departure mid-season has been a massive own goal. Compounded only by the club now finding itself in a no win position, as if things continue to deteriorate on field then sacking Manning will only confirm the flawed decision to sack Pearson and appoint Manning. The danger of not sacking Manning is that it could well continue to unravel all the rebuilding work Pearson undertook in difficult circumstances.

Unfortunately this could well turn into the latest version of City's one step forward, two steps back approach.

Fwiw I thought he would be here next season then hand the reigns over to Andy King and take a watching brief for 6 months or so.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Fwiw I thought he would be here next season then hand the reigns over to Andy King and take a watching brief for 6 months or so.

Good point Geoff. IIRC going back there were a few posts suggesting that they could see King as a future coach/manager.

Having said that I could also see accusations of "jobs for the boys" had that happened, given our track record e.g. BT and LJ.

Given the way things are going, is it beyond the realms of possibility that we could Andy King in charge before the season is out, or would that smack too much of one of appointing Pearson's allies to TPTB and someone who would pick James, thereby triggering a contract extension?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think a lot of us echoed @2015’s post.  I think we also thought Nige would be succeeded by someone he had influence in choosing. FFS

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Good point Geoff. IIRC going back there were a few posts suggesting that they could see King as a future coach/manager.

Having said that I could also see accusations of "jobs for the boys" had that happened, given our track record e.g. BT and LJ.

Given the way things are going, is it beyond the realms of possibility that we could Andy King in charge before the season is out, or would that smack too much of one of appointing Pearson's allies to TPTB and someone who would pick James, thereby triggering a contract extension?

King wouldn't stand a snowball in hell's chance of getting a job at BCFC.

Being a Pearson bloke, he's already guilty by association in SL's eyes, and you can put everything you have on that.

Manning's going nowhere for a long while and when he does, it'll be another nobody who gets the job. 

So depressing.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Of course, I've  just realized that we already have a manager/coach who is able to do things with the team that NP couldn't! :whistle:

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

The problem is we sacked him at the wrong time, then appointed a manager who is the total opposite to NP in every single way. This was against everything NP, Richard Gould and Curtis Fleming were striding towards whilst they were at the club.

It was the aboves basically saying we want to rip all of that up and start a brand new approach, when all they had to do was keep NP here until the end of his contract and appoint a younger, but similar successor.

It is so sad we have ripped up all the principles NP laid down over 2 and a half years for a 'modern' and 'emotionless' approach.

• Like 8
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

The problem is we sacked him at the wrong time, then appointed a manager who is the total opposite to NP in every single way. This was against everything NP, Richard Gould and Curtis Fleming were striding towards whilst they were at the club.

It was the aboves basically saying we want to rip all of that up and start a brand new approach, when all they had to do was keep NP here until the end of his contract and appoint a younger, but similar successor.

It is so sad we have ripped up all the principles NP laid down over 2 and a half years for a 'modern' and 'emotionless' approach.

Not defending the club here, but I do think they were backed into a corner when NP started talking publicly about the fact that the club had not discussed offering him a new/extended contract - he was forcing their hand

I am pretty certain that NP could be prickly and that his relationship with senior management could be less than easy ( his record at previous clubs seems to indicate this) and because of this I can easily see that it became increasingly unlikely that the club would not want to offer NP a new contract, despite, from fans' perspective, NP appearing to be the right man.

As a consequence I can understand that a point was reached whereby something had to give - either NP walked or the club sacked him. Had Manning continued what we saw in the cup games against WHam and Forest and the game against Saints, then none of these threads would be happening. Sadly he didn't and they are, and will continue...........................................

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Superjack said:

I honestly think that they would appoint Hannibal Lecter before Warnock or Evans. 

Here's hoping, anyway. 🤞

Evans and his assistant must be the most disliked manager/assistant in the top 4 leagues and not in a ‘I’d like them to be our manager’ way 

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Evans and his assistant must be the most disliked manager/assistant in the top 4 leagues and not in a ‘I’d like them to be our manager’ way 

Is he still with Paul Raynor?

I recall reading Ben Smith’s book, and he wasn’t too complimentary either!

27 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

When I said 'hoping'...

... I meant for Hannibal Lecter.

9 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Brings back (shivers) memories of Pulis and Parsons

17 hours ago, downendcity said:

Not defending the club here, but I do think they were backed into a corner when NP started talking publicly about the fact that the club had not discussed offering him a new/extended contract - he was forcing their hand

I am pretty certain that NP could be prickly and that his relationship with senior management could be less than easy ( his record at previous clubs seems to indicate this) and because of this I can easily see that it became increasingly unlikely that the club would not want to offer NP a new contract, despite, from fans' perspective, NP appearing to be the right man.

As a consequence I can understand that a point was reached whereby something had to give - either NP walked or the club sacked him. Had Manning continued what we saw in the cup games against WHam and Forest and the game against Saints, then none of these threads would be happening. Sadly he didn't and they are, and will continue...........................................

This is a really good point, and I can certainly imagine our owner being shall we say.... sensitive to that prickliness.

But ultimately being a leader or a manager in any situation means sometimes working with people who don't operate in the same way as you. Alex Ferguson treated Cantona spring to mind instantly.

I always imagined it was more of a clash of personalities that caused NP's downfall. In fact it was likely inevitable given the lack of control our owners are happy to relinquish, the style of manager that we know the owners prefer to operate with, and the reputation that (to be fair) preceded Nige. But I guess the fans as a whole will never know the full story.

17 hours ago, downendcity said:

As has been said on here many times NP only went public after ĥe had been asked to 'stand down' after the Leeds game early October last year.

1 hour ago, CiderJar said:

Poor old Colin is both.

Guess so, though I’ve mellowed a bit towards Colin in my older years ….. probably due the painful lack of characters in the game now.  Love him or hate him, he certainly doesn’t fade into the background.

We’re well aware of the lack of character issue with Mr Personality Bypass Manning!