IGNORED

Leicester City. Points deduction?

Norn Iron

Won’t happen this season.

We’ve got 8 games left. Any hearing, review and appeal will extend past the end of the season and throw the playoffs schedule into a mess if deductions did occur. Not saying they won’t happen ultimately but timeline means no chance imminently. Whether that leads to legal challenge down the line who knows, but that’s for another day

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

We’ve got 8 games left. Any hearing, review and appeal will extend past the end of the season and throw the playoffs schedule into a mess if deductions did occur. Not saying they won’t happen ultimately but timeline means no chance imminently. Whether that leads to legal challenge down the line who knows, but that’s for another day

Hmm the timetable for the CFRP makes me wonder a little.

Screenshot_20240321-191400_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6cea1a19208161d6b2902bdbba1a64a7.jpgScreenshot_20240321-191413_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f31a571b7fcfd160073b854ee9bc4403.jpgScreenshot_20240321-191432_Chrome.thumb.jpg.978332568434809dfcb9bed6f3cc8ddd.jpg

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hmm the timetable for the CFRP makes me wonder a little.

Screenshot_20240321-191400_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6cea1a19208161d6b2902bdbba1a64a7.jpgScreenshot_20240321-191413_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f31a571b7fcfd160073b854ee9bc4403.jpgScreenshot_20240321-191432_Chrome.thumb.jpg.978332568434809dfcb9bed6f3cc8ddd.jpg

I’m willing to put money on it (ho ho).

21st March today

Season (regular) ends 4th May - 6 weeks and two days.

CRFP clock ticks today. So initial view has to come back within four weeks. Leicester will have right of appeal. And as we’ve seen with Everton things can be reduced/overturned - and that happened many weeks later.

There is no hope of a points deduction this season. If the initial view comes back recommending one then there could be the farcical position that Leicester get put in the playoffs, lose, and then win an appeal that means they would have gone up automatically.

Rules are rules are rules. But the only pragmatic decision here is for any deduction to apply next season, and for it not to be released until all legal appeal avenues have been exhausted 

39 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m willing to put money on it (ho ho).

21st March today

Season (regular) ends 4th May - 6 weeks and two days.

CRFP clock ticks today. So initial view has to come back within four weeks. Leicester will have right of appeal. And as we’ve seen with Everton things can be reduced/overturned - and that happened many weeks later.

There is no hope of a points deduction this season. If the initial view comes back recommending one then there could be the farcical position that Leicester get put in the playoffs, lose, and then win an appeal that means they would have gone up automatically.

Rules are rules are rules. But the only pragmatic decision here is for any deduction to apply next season, and for it not to be released until all legal appeal avenues have been exhausted 

I agree on the pragmatic decision but the Agreed Decision has a ticking clock too. EFL should've received actual plus Projections on 1st March.

The CFRP is the Upper body. That 4 to 6 weeks thing includes Appeal timing also.

*CFRU Propose Agreed Decision to Leicester

*14 Days to reject or accept.

It is a while since I've looked at the timetable and any CFRP Sanction if found guilty would be instantly applied. Appeal timeframes I'm unsure but instant Application means it isn't in the Club's interest to drag it out.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

So Leicester get promoted this season then get deducted enough points to get re relegated the next ,get financially rewarded for cheating and getting relegated to the championship but have the financial advantage to get promoted straight back again, it’s all a bit daft really.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

So Leicester get promoted this season then get deducted enough points to get re relegated the next ,get financially rewarded for cheating and getting relegated to the championship but have the financial advantage to get promoted straight back again, it’s all a bit daft really.

Yes seems like too many clubs taking the p (if proven). Leicester nicking one of the top spots this season. Forest putting us out of the cup. Man City beating us in both FA cup and league cup in recent seasons. Starting to feel like we are penalised just for following the rules. 

26 minutes ago, eardun said:

Yes seems like too many clubs taking the p (if proven). Leicester nicking one of the top spots this season. Forest putting us out of the cup. Man City beating us in both FA cup and league cup in recent seasons. Starting to feel like we are penalised just for following the rules. 

Nottingham Forest were in the PL when they breached albeit I wonder about their position to 2021-22.

Leicester well remains to be seen.

Man City are a different stratosphere atm.

Ironically this isn't possible for us and other Championship due to the CFRP, CFRU and Future Monitoring etc.

43 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

Only way to stop it and make clubs take notice is to relegate them down to League 2, enforce a wage cap in line with the average wage for the league, and have to earn their way back up fairly (and by fairly I mean no stupid million pound bonuses or clauses, and having to submit all contract details/payments to the courts to scrutinise and make sure they're playing ball).

You're absolutely spot on though, if they get a hefty deduction next season and get relegated back to this level, they reap the rewards of cheating- yet again.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

• Admin
47 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

The twist is that the season they are in trouble for (22/23) was actually the season they got relegated 

Already confirmed on SSN no deduction will hit this season, so seems pretty right they get punished in the Premier league 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

The twist is that the season they are in trouble for (22/23) was actually the season they got relegated 

Already confirmed on SSN no deduction will hit this season, so seems pretty right they get punished in the Premier league 

EFL think they are set to breach for this year too. I wonder if any kind of In-Season charge could occur there.

• Like 1

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

EFL think they are set to breach for this year too. I wonder if any kind of In-Season charge could occur there.

Are the charges being enforced by the respective leagues or someone who oversees all football in the UK? 

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Are the charges being enforced by the respective leagues or someone who oversees all football in the UK? 

Respective bodies.

It's awfully messy and unprecedented this, I'm just shocked- but should we be- that the PL and EFL between them hasn't fully factored in Relegation and Promotion issues when the basis of the rules were harmomised.

• Thanks 1

Essentially..

*Leicester appear to have breached FFP for the Period ending 2022-23. The £105m limit. This is what they have been charged cor 

*Leicester might breach to this season too.

*The one they have been charged for is the 3 Years to 2022-23.

*Whether they fail to this year may or may not depend on whether they can glean a transfer Profit of £x by 30th June.

*However a pedantic reading of the Regs makes me wonder if they can be referred for a P&S Forecast being over.

If they fail going up by post 3p30th June that could be a double charge.

I'd be looking at extra points for not submitting Financial details either if I was the PL.

1 hour ago, Peter1450 said:

Of course clubs are going to cheat when the benefits of cheating far outweigh the punishment. 

There needs to be solid harsh penalties so that the punishment is worse than the benefits. 

In my opinion the punishment should be very severe. For example if a club cheats to get promoted then make their promotion void and take away any parachute payments. 

If a club chests to qualify for Europe, make them forfeit their European place. 

If a club just about stays up due to cheating, relegate them and deny them parachute payments. 

Yes these options are extreme but whilst there is 100s of millions on the line, clubs will take the risk so the consequences need to be extreme to act as a deterrent. A few poxy points deducted just makes these clubs laugh at us all. 

Ultimately this cheating is undermining the sporting integrity of our leagues and that integrity needs to be maintained at all costs. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1
  • Flames 3

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Percy suggesting next season, which I’m assuming means breach this year?

Seemingly not no, this year remains to be seen but for some reason Leicester were not caught by the 31st December Rule. PL Statement says Period ending 2022-23.

There is also a PL Rule that Relegated Clubs need to submit by 31st December to the EFL but this appears not to have kicked in. Perhaps it arose post the Leicester Relegation.

Perhaps it wasn't drafted properly or reciprocated across the 2 Divisions.

17 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Must be too late to do anything this season ?

People asking when Man City will get their case heard .

Well logic dictates yes but again that CFRP timetable makes me wonder.

• Like 1

In respect of movement between divisions, some Leicester fans have the idea that the PL gained their financial numbers or may have gained them illegitimately.

The Rules seem to provide for it however. Will seek to find the correct Regulations.

This might clarify one or two things:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/21/leicester-city-charged-by-premier-league-over-alleged-breach-of-psr-rules

For example -

The Championship promotion chasers also face potential punishment from the English Football League ­relating to the period that includes this ­season.

If Leicester do not return to the top flight at the first attempt, it is thought any penalty imposed by the Premier League could be administered by the EFL.

The club has been charged by the Premier League for failing to submit their latest audited accounts relating to the 2022-23 campaign.

The Premier League statement also clarified that the reason for the delay in the referral was that Leicester were ­relegated before updated rules were introduced at the league’s annual general meeting at the end of last season.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Hopefully it will. 
They rushed it through for Swindon - after the season had ended. 
Why should the big boys cheat and get away with it when the rest of us toe the line and go nowhere?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Hopefully it will. 
They rushed it through for Swindon - after the season had ended. 
Why should the big boys cheat and get away with it when the rest of us toe the line and go nowhere?

I do agree with the sentiment.

It does say that the EFL are also investigating Leicester pertaining to this season.

I should also add that their Statement a few weeks ago said something like this..

Screenshot_20240322-003252_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3d9290b5b8e4d7bf39f8d7521e2c34a6.jpg

That was from their Statement on 6th March. EFL also released a Statement on the same day, again two relevant parts. Note the "will be assessed along with the submissions of all other Clubs in accordance with the League's established processes".

Screenshot_20240322-003325_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eba64e4f2383ca71709ba465a598c0f3.jpgScreenshot_20240322-003337_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7f4b52be8444ef9387d5552fd5503c55.jpg

That makes me think that the Football League may come back and try again this season.

https://efl.com/news/2024/march/06/efl-statement--leicester-city/

https://www.lcfc.com/news/3923850/lcfc-statement---6-march-2024

Their Statement today was none too happy!

Screenshot_20240322-003801_Chrome.thumb.jpg.125bb48c914b4be5950a5b55300f996b.jpgScreenshot_20240322-003811_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9ed3f21fb514ac64326803a6874786db.jpg

League rules expressly rule out Court action so Arbitration perhaps in the first instance.

Willing and eager to discuss yet don't submit Accounts??

https://www.lcfc.com/news/3938901/lcfc-statement--21-march-2024

"Proper Resolution of potential charges by the right bodied at the right time".

I take that to mean that they don't get believe that they can be found in breach yet, right time next reason and right bodies who knows.