IGNORED

England Vs Brazil / Belgium

• Admin
1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

Pre Southgate the squad was nowhere near as good.

The team plays not to lose when against decent opposition.

And usually ends up losing.

The England squad has been bigged op for decades, we've definitely had better squads but nobody had been able to get them to play as a team before. 

I agree we seem to be reactive to the opposition rather than take the game to them 

How do you back that statement up with how we've done in recent tournaments if we end up losing ? 

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

The England squad has been bigged op for decades, we've definitely had better squads but nobody had been able to get them to play as a team before. 

I agree we seem to be reactive to the opposition rather than take the game to them 

How do you back that statement up with how we've done in recent tournaments if we end up losing ? 

Maybe we appoint a coach with experience of managing a side at international level? 

• Flames 1

36 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Just seen in the last 26 games vs top 10 Fifa ranking sides we've managed 4 wins.

Doesn't fill you with much confidence does it! 

It’s not true. 
Belgium and Croatia at home in the nations league, Italy home and away in the Euros qualifiers, Spain in Seville, and Denmark in the last Euros, were all ranked in the top 10 when England beat them. 
Haven’t checked any other games but pretty quickly found six examples of Southgate beating top ten teams. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, North London Red said:

It’s not true. 
Belgium and Croatia at home in the nations league, Italy home and away in the Euros qualifiers, Spain in Seville, and Denmark in the last Euros, were all ranked in the top 10 when England beat them. 
Haven’t checked any other games but pretty quickly found six examples of Southgate beating top ten teams. 

Denmark haven’t been in the top ten fifa ranking since 2003

edit: at the start of each January so tbf when the Euros started they may have gone up then down 

Edited by Sturny

9 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Man United watching this and salivating at the prospect of having grey Gareth managing them soon. 

If ever a manager's been carried along by the quality of his players, its this anorak. Leading in a World Cup semi final and blew it. Leading in a Euros final and blew it. 

The blokes a chinless dork that says the right things and couldn't manage a w*nk in a sock. 

Vile 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Really like Toney. Seems more at home than Watkins. He’d be my second choice forward behind Kane. 

Toney is the better footballer for me. It feels as if a team isn't built exactly to play to Watkins strengths he seems fairly ineffective, you need to be more versatile than that at international level IMO.

Add to that Toney's fairly incredible penalty taking record which could prove invaluable in tournament football i totally agree with you that he should be second choice behind Kane.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Get the **** out 😂😂😂😂 can’t believe there’s any Englishman that wants that lot to go through . They detest us & the feelings  mutual 

I actually would rather all the home nations there just makes it more interesting. I would rather watch a Wales V Scotland game than a Poland v Georgia. Just my preference i get why others would rather they didn't qualify.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cityexile said:

Look fairly decent when we go forward, but twice just been done with defensive disaster classes.

It drives me crazy when we are around their box when nobody wants to shoot or cross the ball. Its pass pass pass or try the clever flick that comes off 1 time in 100.  Its so congested in there any decent shot has the chance of a defection. If the shot is blocked we have as much chance to pick up the rebound as they do. If every team continues this obsession with playing on the break I can see after kick off that both teams retreat into their block and everybody forgets the ball all together. 

It is so refreshing when you see a team like Liverpool try to score each time they get possession. They get the ball into the danger zone with the minimum of passes and love the high percentage long ball. It just wears defences down. I fear that with Klopps departure this one ray of hope will also go.

I accept that my advancing years probably makes me cynical but with all this focus on "technical" play the game as an exciting form of entertainment is failing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Get the **** out 😂😂😂😂 can’t believe there’s any Englishman that wants that lot to go through . They detest us & the feelings  mutual 

The only other home nation i'd support is Northern Ireland. 

Can't stand the others, got massive chips on both shoulders. Can never understand any Englishman wishing Wales, Scotland or Republic of Ireland well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Flames 1

My impressions from the game:

1. I'd never watched Toney in the flesh and his off the ball work and pressing was much better than I'd realised. I think he's put himself in pole position to act as second striker

2. I really can't work out what I think of Jarrod Bowen. In some ways, he was the liveliest player first half but I'm not sure he's got the quality ultimately.

3. At times it reminded me of watching Bristol City, albeit with a much faster tempo. Lots of passing but occasionally over-passing leading to a defensive mistake or attacking position squanded.

4. None of the back 4 made a great case for themselves and the lack of depth there is a bit of a worry. 

5. Mainoo is being slightly over-talked up as it was his debut but he certainly looked decent.