IGNORED

Weimann

Great to see.  Shouldn’t have let him go. Consumate pro who evidently still has a lot to give and the kind of leader we need, on and off the pitch.  Get that he may have wanted to be a bit nearer to home now though, but seems strange it all happened so quickly once the management changed.   Good for him though whatever.   

• Like 15
  • Flames 4

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/andreas-weimann-opens-up-on-january-switch-from-bristol-city-to-west-brom/

16 minutes ago, lenred said:

Great to see.  Shouldn’t have let him go. Consumate pro who evidently still has a lot to give and the kind of leader we need, on and off the pitch.  Get that he may have wanted to be a bit nearer to home now though, but seems strange it all happened so quickly once the management changed.   Good for him though whatever.   

Think there was more to it than him wanting to go as such, see the article above. 

Edited by JP Hampton
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I often wonder what impact him leaving has had on the dressing room. 

I was thinking the same, if we lose James, Williams and King in the summer,  that’s a heck of a lot of experience going out the door. Senior pros have a lot of influence, not just on the pitch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/andreas-weimann-opens-up-on-january-switch-from-bristol-city-to-west-brom/

Think there was more to it than him wanting to go as such, see the article above. 

I always liked the guy along with his pro approach to the game, I bet he's quietly happy to get away from our rat race of a club & I hope does well in anything he tackles in the future :clapping:

• Like 7

Just now, bpexile said:

I always liked the guy along with his pro approach to the game, I bet he's quietly happy to get away from our rat race of a club & I hope does well in anything he tackles in the future :clapping:

I think he probably is. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

I was thinking the same, if we lose James, Williams and King in the summer,  that’s a heck of a lot of experience going out the door. Senior pros have a lot of influence, not just on the pitch. 

I said this weeks ago. We will struggle next season without that championship experience in midfield

the idiots running the club probably haven’t even considered it.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

I think he probably is. 

This certainly seems like a dig. 

“I am now at a club that still has a chance of promotion and where we will hopefully make the playoffs.”

I get that his contract was expiring and that starting him in games would have triggered an extension. But the reality is neither party would have been keen to extend his stay here.

So what strong leadership should do is sit down with him and say "both parties would like to go their separate ways in the summer, you want to return closer to your family and we would like to go in a different difection however right now we consider you a really important player on and off the pitch so how about we make a mutual agreement to scrap that clause? We get the benefit of being able to start you whilst you get the benefit of being able to attract interest from a club that can offer you a longer contract, win win" 

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

he didnt say he did or didnt want an extension tho did he, makes me think he wanted away aswell. nige going was probably a major factor imo.

Well I think it’s clear from that is he didn’t want to play 15mins slots. 

The fact he said “that has now worked out really well” I’d suggest he’d have stayed if he was being played. 

Edited by JP Hampton

2 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

he didnt say he did or didnt want an extension tho did he, makes me think he wanted away aswell. nige going was probably a major factor imo.

A one year extension wouldn't have suited him so I'm not sure he would have been keen to exercise that option. Plus there has been rumours that he's wanted to return closer to his family for a while. 

He's at the stage now where it's probably his last chance to get a 2-3 year deal. 

If he stayed here for one more season then he would really struggle to find anyone to give him a 2-3 year deal in 12 months time. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

This is why we’ll be in a relegation scrap next season. And if Manning is still here we’re as good as bankers for the drop.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This certainly seems like a dig. 

“I am now at a club that still has a chance of promotion and where we will hopefully make the playoffs.”

I get that his contract was expiring and that starting him in games would have triggered an extension. But the reality is neither party would have been keen to extend his stay here.

So what strong leadership should do is sit down with him and say "both parties would like to go their separate ways in the summer, you want to return closer to your family and we would like to go in a different difection however right now we consider you a really important player on and off the pitch so how about we make a mutual agreement to scrap that clause? We get the benefit of being able to start you whilst you get the benefit of being able to attract interest from a club that can offer you a longer contract, win win" 

He also said that Manning is the new Klopp and our squad could compete with most in Europe...oh no sorry that was Tinman and Jon Lansdown

• Haha 10

29 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Should of been played as a Striker

Especially when at his peak, late 2010s, sadly 2020 he got a bad injury.

At the very least he could've been a good differential to Diedhiou..would his early and creative runs that we struggled to pick have been better through the middle?

Maenpaa

Hunt Kalas Webster DaSilva/Kelly

Brownhill Pack AN Other 

Paterson                  Eliasson

Weimann 

Not quite perfect but more creative, plus the third man easing a bit of burden on Brownhill and Pack.

Korey had his injuries, Hegeler retired so the third man? Morrell, Walsh..or should we have signed one more.

Always thought we should've tried to add another central midfielder and striker in Jan 2019...

(Fielding, O'Leary, Pisano, Wright, Baker, DaSilva/Kelly, Korey, Morrell, Walsh, O'Dowda, Palmer, Diedhiou, Taylor).

Backed well wasn't he..Lee Johnson.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, JP Hampton said:

Unfortunately, the link says (for me) that the site cannot be reached.

Any chance of a copy and paste?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

He's been a great professional but his best days are behind him.

West Brom are a better side than we are, with intelligent players like Wallace, Swift and Diangana, so i'm sure he will find it easier to play in their team.

We need to move on from him now and this summers recruitment will be crucial.

19 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unfortunately, the link says (for me) that the site cannot be reached.

Any chance of a copy and paste?

Thanks in advance.

Andreas Weimann reveals Bristol City contract glitch that led to West Brom move in January

PUBLISHED 10 HOURS AGO

Andreas Weimann is out of contract at the end of the campaign

Andreas Weimann

HIGHLIGHTS

•  Weimann's move to West Brom was crucial, offering him the game time he needed to shine after facing contract extension issues at Bristol City.
  •  With two goals and two assists, Weimann's impact at West Brom has helped push the team towards a potential playoff spot in the Championship.
  •  Despite being initially a loan, Weimann's performance may earn him a permanent stay, providing a smart solution for the club's attacking depth.

Andreas Weimann has opened up on his January move from Bristol City to West Brom.

The forward signed for the Baggies on loan until the end of the campaign, with his contract with City set to expire in the summer.

AD
AD
AD
AD
AD
AD

The Austrian has become a useful part of Carlos Corberan’s side, featuring nine times in the Championship since arriving at the Hawthorns (all stats from Fbref).

Six of those appearances have come as a substitute, with the 32-year-old contributing two goals and two assists from 355 minutes of game time.

Uncertainty remains over his long-term future, but he has played a role in helping cement Corberan’s side inside the play-offs.

Weimann opens up on West Brom transfer

Liam Manning

Weimann has claimed that a move away from Ashton Gate in January was very important for him, as he knew he wouldn’t be receiving game time with the Robins.

The forward has revealed that he would be entitled to a contract extension if he played a certain amount, and that the club was not willing to offer him that game time.

“It was very important,” said Weimann, via Kicker.

“In the end, I wasn’t allowed to start for Bristol mainly because of a clause in my contract, because it would have otherwise been extended after a certain number of games.

“That had nothing to do with my performance and wasn’t my fault, it was the club’s policy.

MixCollage-14-Jan-2024-07-37-PM-8228

RELATED
Leeds United man will be hoping Celtic or West Brom transfer interest returns: View
Joe Gelhardt has been frozen out at Leeds United and should be pushing for a summer move

“So I had to leave because I no longer wanted to play just 15 minutes a week.

“That has now worked out really well.

Weimann scored for the Baggies in wins over Birmingham City and Cardiff City, helping the team secure an important six points.

Those six points could prove crucial come the end of the term, with Albion currently vying for a top six finish.

West Brom league position

Championship Table (As it stands March 23rd)

Team

P

GD

Pts

Leeds United

Leicester City

Ipswich Town

Southampton

West Brom

Norwich City

Hull City

Coventry City

Corberan’s side currently sit fifth in the Championship table, with eight fixtures still to play.

The gap to seventh place Hull City is eight points, but the Tigers hold a game in hand.

It remains to be seen whether West Brom would be willing to extend Weimann’s stay with the Midlands outfit beyond this initial loan.

The Austria international is set to be a free agent at the end of the campaign, which could open the door to a permanent move in the summer.

West Brom return to action after the international break with a trip to face Millwall on 29 March.

Carlos Corberan 2

Weimann was a smart signing by West Brom

West Brom’s injury issues necessitated a new arrival in January, but a lack of transfer funds made things difficult.

Signing Weimann was a smart solution to add some much-needed depth in attack for Corberan’s squad.

He has proven a very useful addition, and is staking a claim for a permanent offer from the club at the end of the season.

If he can continue to contribute from the bench, while also offering a good option in rotation, then he could prove a worthwhile signing in the summer as a free agent.

• Thanks 3

So, basically top-pro Weimann wants to play to get himself in the shop window.  Doesn’t quite say whether the trigger was in his favour, although I suspect it was.  Nige was quite in favour of contracts that dangled carrots.  Had he stayed and got the games to trigger, I wonder if he’d have chose to exercise the option and extend.  Guess that was taken out of his hands.

Not criticising the club here, but need to be careful they don’t lose all of the “culture club” this summer.

Rumour on twitter that Williams has extended, same person suggesting Cornick fixed up to leave.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Versatile??

Hard working??

Where's the quality?

Scored lots of useful goals for Luton, all forwards need a run of games to get going, you’ll never see his more attacking qualities when he gets the standard 10-15 mins usually when the game is ****** and Manningball turns into Lumpball.

Good squad player but does not fit into whatever system Manning is trying to manifest.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

So, basically top-pro Weimann wants to play to get himself in the shop window.  Doesn’t quite say whether the trigger was in his favour, although I suspect it was.  Nige was quite in favour of contracts that dangled carrots.  Had he stayed and got the games to trigger, I wonder if he’d have chose to exercise the option and extend.  Guess that was taken out of his hands.

Not criticising the club here, but need to be careful they don’t lose all of the “culture club” this summer.

Rumour on twitter that Williams has extended, same person suggesting Cornick fixed up to leave.

No idea if that latter bit is true but with Latham as much as saying that James will be off & King (whether he stays as a coach or not) certainly not going to be around as a player next season, then I wouldn’t be surprised.

Otherwise we will need to bring in another central midfielder as well as Bird, because him, Knight & TGH is light both on experience as well as in number, with Benarous out for so long & Murphy apparently not even fit to play 21s football.

Cornick needs to go, unlike some I’ll never knock his effort (or the often missed fact that unlike others he has been available for selection for every single game since he joined) but it hasn’t worked out & he needs to leave if we can come to an arrangement that suits all parties.

Just my opinion but I thought the podcast speculation on the amount we’ll spend this summer was a far higher sum than I expect.

I can’t see us spending more than £7m all told, maybe a couple of million more if Conway goes.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I often wonder what impact him leaving has had on the dressing room. 

The players voted him club captain, then the club told them he wasn’t needed anymore.

That says a lot about what the club thinks of the player’s opinion.

Edited by SydneyCity
  • Like 8
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If Manning had wanted Weimann none of it would have mattered he would have got his game time and extension. 

Unless

Influences above Manning told him don’t play him? This would have put Weimann effectively in his last year and if I’m not mistaken in a position through his reps to talk to other clubs I guess?

• Thanks 1