IGNORED

Weimann

1 minute ago, JAWS said:

Like I said, nothing to shout about?

Nothing I've seen makes me feel he should be in a squad challenging top 6.

Can't see any other challenging sides would swap him with what they've got 

As a squad player he did fine at Luton..that's what I see him as mainly, a squad/depth player.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As a squad player he did fine at Luton..that's what I see him as mainly, a squad/depth player.

Ordinarily I'd agree Pops but not for me for a top 6 squad.

Good to debate though 

• Like 1

It’s a tough one with Weimann as I’m not sure id be offering him a new contract if he was staying, we saw the best of him but the 12 months prior to leaving he did a lot of running around and pointing but not much return (perhaps position played and role asked). Could never fault his effort and professionalism though. 

If he’s got a trigger in his contract and it was close and no intention to renew then both clubs benefit for different reasons as does he.  Clearly without the trigger you’d have kept him until end of the season. 

Think I’ve bored myself with that waffle to be fair. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Far too expensive for a squad player. Get rid he's been pretty poor since he arrived here 

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Double figures at Luton in his last full season there at Championship level.

Can play centrally or on the right, versatile, clearly hard working.

Unlucky not to be the winner v WBA in September and especially the match saver v Ipswich in October when it hit post and rolled along the line when we had momentum..

Spoke to someone at the Swansea game that knows Cornick very well from his time at Luton and whose opinion I deeply respect. 

He said Cornick's success at Luton came by playing up front off a big number 9 and that playing out wide in a 4-2-3-1 or a 3-4-3 or even a 4-3-3 was not getting the best out of him at all. 

Only trouble is, City don't have a big number 9 for him to play off so maybe Cornick is not the problem here. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Spoke to someone at the Swansea game that knows Cornick very well from his time at Luton and whose opinion I deeply respect. 

He said Cornick's success at Luton came by playing up front off a big number 9 and that playing out wide in a 4-2-3-1 or a 3-4-3 or even a 4-3-3 was not getting the best out of him at all. 

Only trouble is, City don't have a big number 9 for him to play off so maybe Cornick is not the problem here. 

Thanks. I thought maybe he played well or would play well off someone.

Clearly a competent or at least squad player in there in the right setup. IMO anyway. Definitely seems more central than wide.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

now we are looking for a big no9 arent we?   

having said that,by the time we get one,his contract will be up and we will have to look for a new harry cornick.

i actually like cornick, shows similar traits to weimann, just hot set up right,also like weimann. not as good as weimann yet but as HM has stated, not been played in his favoured role yet.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

now we are looking for a big no9 arent we?   

having said that,by the time we get one,his contract will be up and we will have to look for a new harry cornick.

i actually like cornick, shows similar traits to weimann, just hot set up right,also like weimann. not as good as weimann yet but as HM has stated, not been played in his favoured role yet.

I think a big no. 9 should be one of the top things on City's shopping list this summer.

Before anyone flames me, someone like Chris Martin would be perfect. Not saying that City should go rob him from Rovers but he's the TYPE of player they could do with. Someone that holds the ball up, brings others into play and chips in with 10-15 goals themselves. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hamdon Mart said:

I think a big no. 9 should be one of the top things on City's shopping list this summer.

Before anyone flames me, someone like Chris Martin would be perfect. Not saying that City should go rob him from Rovers but he's the TYPE of player they could do with. Someone that holds the ball up, brings others into play and chips in with 10-15 goals themselves. 

Trouble with that is, as we saw with Fammy, it's too easy an out ball for the likes of Vyner who will end up just lumping it long to to the big man.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

The big number 9 at luton was adebajo though, and we wont be getting anyone in as good as that! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

The recruitment brief includes - mobile.

That’s not dissing Martin, who did pretty well for us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

The big number 9 at luton was adebajo though, and we wont be getting anyone in as good as that! 

Adebayo was signed from Walsall for £250k. The question is whether we can find the next one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Carlton Morris too, we were linked with him before he went to Luton. Another one we missed out on. 

When were we linked with him?

Was that during the time in which we had to begin drastically cutting back? If so Luton could pursue an expansionary policy then, see also Coventry as they had much lower overhanging losses.

Gould called our 2020-21 losses very serious when the Accounts came out late 2021..and said we were working through them.

We effectively couldn't even spend a fee in January 2022, summer 2022 and until Semenyo went so we can cross that off if it was in that period.

Sides with lower losses and post Covid could steal a march 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Trouble with that is, as we saw with Fammy, it's too easy an out ball for the likes of Vyner who will end up just lumping it long to to the big man.

agree if they start every game but could be plan b on the bench for when we cant break teams down which is quite often

• Like 1

5 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

agree if they start every game but could be plan b on the bench for when we cant break teams down which is quite often

How many quality no 9’s do you think we’d attract with those criteria?, you won’t start but may come on when we can’t break teams down, I can’t see there being a rush to join us.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

How many quality no 9’s do you think we’d attract with those criteria?, you won’t start but may come on when we can’t break teams down, I can’t see there being a rush to join us.

some games you can start with plan b tho and revert to plan a if it isnt working, either way its an option to change things during a game which we are totally incapable of now

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The recruitment brief includes - mobile.

That’s not dissing Martin, who did pretty well for us.

What’s Keith Burt doing these days?

Basically we need another Kodjia, don’t we?

Really don’t think some appreciate what a signing he was, out of Ligue 2, couldn’t speak English yet scored 20 in a struggling side.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What’s Keith Burt doing these days?

Basically we need another Kodjia, don’t we?

Really don’t think some appreciate what a signing he was, out of Ligue 2, couldn’t speak English yet scored 20 in a struggling side.

Am sure I read that we gave him no help settling in. He got lost on his way to his 1st game & a fan gave him directions!

• Like 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

You found him in your European search yet!

Well, I can certainly see at least one or two of that “type”.

Whether they are a good fit, can settle in England & click* early on is much harder to say.

*always thought the moment Kodjia thrashed the ball into the net v Brentford made him realise I can do this.

He scared the shit out of defenders, all arms & legs, lightening quick & clever.

Didn’t do his chances any harm at all that he had one of the best “minders” in Wilbs, either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

Am sure I read that we gave him no help settling in. He got lost on his way to his 1st game & a fan gave him directions!

That’s sadly true & actually know the individual concerned..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Well, I can certainly see at least one or two of that “type”.

Whether they are a good fit, can settle in England & click* early on is much harder to say.

*always thought the moment Kodjia thrashed the ball into the net v Brentford made him realise I can do this.

He scared the shit out of defenders, all arms & legs, lightening quick & clever.

Didn’t do his chances any harm at all that he had one of the best “minders” in Wilbs, either.

I went down to Yeovil for the preseason game.  We were awful (lost 1-0) but he looked likely to Don something everytime he got the ball.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Burt, Cotterill, Louis-Jean joint effort wasn't it. Or all played a role anyway.

This is another issue I have..if we are casting the net back into Europe again, save for say Lommel where is the credibility, gravitas, where are the potential contacts?

Isn’t the rumour that our man of many different roles, (one week he’s a scout, the next he’s a coach, then he disappears from view) Kalifa Cisse, has been over in France scouting?

To be fair to him he does at least have the advantage of being a native French speaker.

I’m not sure Manning’s single season in the Belgian second division helps us too much.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Burt, Cotterill, Louis-Jean joint effort wasn't it. Or all played a role anyway.

This is another issue I have..if we are casting the net back into Europe again, save for say Lommel where is the credibility, gravitas, where are the potential contacts?

heres one,hes from barcelona

p04jwt55.jpg

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Haha 2