IGNORED

Slogan at the 'HPC'

Superjack

Lauren Smith is the perfect example of the family club.

Massive failure yet still here - imagine any other job where you perform at less than 12% of possible target and seem to be under no pressure to improve.
Not like she is Liam Manning FFS 👀

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Meh said:

Massive failure yet still here - imagine any other job where you perform at less than 12% of possible target and seem to be under no pressure to improve.

To be fair to Lauren Smith, and this comes from not watching the ladies that much, is it not the case that similar to how Nige was shit on by the Lansdowns by withholding investment in the summer, isn’t it a case that she’s being asked to compete with clubs massively financed more than she is and not being given anywhere near the tools to compete?

The club did a lot right on promotion to the WSL and attracted a load of new fans to games - I believe we’re in the upper echelon for attendances. But not investing in the team means they’re looking at one season up there and back to the HPC. And it’s a bit short sighted - this isn’t like they get loads of parachute money a la the men’s game.

They could seriously have made moves to establish themselves in the women’s game with a bit of investment. To me it feels less fully Lauren Smiths fault than more a bit of a cockup where they’re losing what could have been a very good income stream as the game expanded.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair to Lauren Smith, and this comes from not watching the ladies that much, is it not the case that similar to how Nige was shit on by the Lansdowns by withholding investment in the summer, isn’t it a case that she’s being asked to compete with clubs massively financed more than she is and not being given anywhere near the tools to compete?

The club did a lot right on promotion to the WSL and attracted a load of new fans to games - I believe we’re in the upper echelon for attendances. But not investing in the team means they’re looking at one season up there and back to the HPC. And it’s a bit short sighted - this isn’t like they get loads of parachute money a la the men’s game.

They could seriously have made moves to establish themselves in the women’s game with a bit of investment. To me it feels less fully Lauren Smiths fault than more a bit of a cockup where they’re losing what could have been a very good income stream as the game expanded.

Plus Nigel was very supportive of Lauren and her team. Eni Aluko said in a Guardian column that the way the men's and women's coaches worked together was exactly how things should be.

There doesn't seem to be much evidence that anybody else at the club is as engaged and respectful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Plus Nigel was very supportive of Lauren and her team. Eni Aluko said in a Guardian column that the way the men's and women's coaches worked together was exactly how things should be.

There doesn't seem to be much evidence that anybody else at the club is as engaged and respectful.

thats because there isnt anyone left with any compassion to care

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meh said:

That makes a big assumption the target was to win all 17 games and achieve 51 points.  I don’t think that was the case was it? 😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

That makes a big assumption the target was to win all 17 games and achieve 51 points.  I don’t think that was the case was it? 😉

Well, presumably they do try to win every game, Dave.

Does Manning? 🤔🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Silvio Dante - I agree to a large extent that SL and his crew have not helped; I even tweeted him yesterday telling him this was mainly fine to him and lack of investment.

however, I think it is 8 losses and 2 draws in last 10 league games and some of those were teams they should compete with like Brighton and Leicester instead losing 7-3 and 5-2 respectively.

To some extent you have to then question; where’s the tactics, where’s the pride etc. and that is on Lauren to take a decent slice of responsibility imo.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Probably not but I would think they would target say 4 wins and say 4 draws out of 17 games (so point(s) in roughly 50% of games) which would put them in the mix to possibly survive 👀

51 minutes ago, Meh said:

@Silvio Dante - I agree to a large extent that SL and his crew have not helped; I even tweeted him yesterday telling him this was mainly fine to him and lack of investment.

however, I think it is 8 losses and 2 draws in last 10 league games and some of those were teams they should compete with like Brighton and Leicester instead losing 7-3 and 5-2 respectively.

To some extent you have to then question; where’s the tactics, where’s the pride etc. and that is on Lauren to take a decent slice of responsibility imo.

Yep, agree.  A simple target of “be at least 11th or better” for the season, achieved by investing in the squad to do so.  Against a longer term objective of becoming mid-table.  For me, it was all about survival.  And I know we aren’t down yet, but we are in reality!

46 minutes ago, Meh said:

Probably not but I would think they would target say 4 wins and say 4 draws out of 17 games (so point(s) in roughly 50% of games) which would put them in the mix to possibly survive 👀

That’s fair.  It is clear that the squad hasn’t been invested in properly.  Although we win promotion, we didn’t walk it did we?  We all knew it needed quite an uplift.

Can you imagine the attraction of coming to a team like City, who play at AG, not someone else’s ground, or a bespoke stadium?  Leicester are the only other team using their stadium.

image.thumb.png.5c1f4cb9494d20ace50a38d1b3e7f91f.png

Eff me, even I’ve played at the Bescot (Company I worked for National Final). 🤣🤣🤣

We could’ve got on a roll!!!

What a waste. 😡😡😡

And the squad will need investment next season if it wants to try to come back up.  Probably cost more than to stay in the WSL, especially when you think about match day revenue lost - assume games will go back to HPC?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

Well, presumably they do try to win every game, Dave.

Does Manning? 🤔🤣

Apologies for quoting myself, but I do think Lauren Smith does generally give her players the freedom to 'have a go', perhaps when sometimes she shouldn't. 

Maybe we need to swap the head coaches over. 🤔

9 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

It doesn't make any sense, somebody has made that up and thought it sounded good!  

Probably the same individual who redesigned the badge only to replace it on the away shirt with the robin splat 

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And the squad will need investment next season if it wants to try to come back up.  Probably cost more than to stay in the WSL, especially when you think about match day revenue lost - assume games will go back to HPC?

The crowds are good but ticket prices are comparatively very low and you'd imagine the spend per head on alcohol, pies etc will be far lower per head than in the men's game.

Players and staff have to be paid, there is a cost to putting on the match, so, even held at AG, hard to imagine it's in any way a money spinner.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The crowds are good but ticket prices are comparatively very low and you'd imagine the spend per head on alcohol, pies etc will be far lower per head than in the men's game.

Players and staff have to be paid, there is a cost to putting on the match, so, even held at AG, hard to imagine it's in any way a money spinner.

However expenditure on the Women's Team is excluded from FFP so it could be a net gain. A but like Academy expenditure albeit that is easier to quantify.

Some clubs are throwing quite a lot of money at the Women's Team albeit PL clubs.