IGNORED

Les Ferdinand DoF

Red Skin

Will take a listen later. 

From what I remember of QPR fans feedback they weren’t particularly receptive of the work he did as DOF. Some synergies here in that he was a club “legend”, but didn’t really have experience in coaching/management (stint coaching strikers at Spurs) - advantage over Tinnion in that he’d done it at a higher level.

It does beg the question what a “good” DoF might look like - most people would say a “football man” but also someone with a decent head for business/having broader intelligence and an understanding of the wider world. I’ve always wondered how someone like Dr Wayne Allison PhD might do! (Not a suggestion!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Will take a listen later. 

From what I remember of QPR fans feedback they weren’t particularly receptive of the work he did as DOF. Some synergies here in that he was a club “legend”, but didn’t really have experience in coaching/management (stint coaching strikers at Spurs) - advantage over Tinnion in that he’d done it at a higher level.

It does beg the question what a “good” DoF might look like - most people would say a “football man” but also someone with a decent head for business/having broader intelligence and an understanding of the wider world. I’ve always wondered how someone like Dr Wayne Allison PhD might do! (Not a suggestion!)

46 mins onward.

For info the guy being interviewed is Tim Keech, one of the founders of MRKT Insights, who started off doing recruitment consultancy for teams like Swansea and Plymouth.

• Thanks 2

And we get a mention. While discussing Harry Kane and his not exactly quick rise to fame, Wrighty likened him to Andy Cole saying nobody was sure he’d make a prolific top striker at Aresnal. Then he came to us and something clicked.

Wrighty, Roy Keane and maybe one other all called us Bristol, not sure if they just couldn’t remember which Bristol team or just thought Bristol was enough, I don’t know. 

Edited by ralphindevon
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

And we get a mention. While discussing Harry Kane and his not exactly quick rise to fame, Wrighty likened him to Andy Cole saying nobody was sure he’d make a prolific top striker at Aresnal. Then he came to us and something clicked.

Wrighty, Roy Keane and maybe one other all called us Bristol, not sure if they just couldn’t remember which Bristol team or just thought Bristol was enough, I don’t know. 

Bristol is sufficient.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Bristol is sufficient.

TBF at least they all remembered our part in his career.

A lot of people think he was at Newcastle then Man United before finishing his career with a few others.

It was a hell of a deal for us to actually sign him on after loaning him, he looked so good from his debut onwards, nowadays Arsenal may have just extended the loan for a year and waited to see how he progressed. 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

It’s the best long form football content in the world atm. Nothing comes close 

It’s a brilliant watch on YouTube. 

I could watch the ‘unscripted’ bit before it actually starts for hours. I have quite enjoyed the last two without Jamie Carragher.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

46 mins onward.

For info the guy being interviewed is Tim Keech, one of the founders of MRKT Insights, who started off doing recruitment consultancy for teams like Swansea and Plymouth.

Now, I can see what you're planning!  Data analyst becoming Technical Directors!  

Seriously, though, the idea that project managers make the best directors of football I find incredibly depressing.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Bristol is sufficient.

I travel all over the Uk with my job and when it comes to football I’m asked which team do you support , my answer every time is ! There’s only one team in Bristol ! The reply always comes back  City then , 

so yes Bristol is sufficient everybody knows 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Skin said:

Stick To Football

No, I'm not suggesting him for us, but some interesting stories of his work as DoF at QPR.  I really enjoy the format of these with Neville, Keane, Wright and others.

I always loved Ferdinand as a striker.  

Was listening to same pod earlier. Really interesting from about 40 mins in. Particularly managers who interview well and accept the way the club want to play, but then do something different.

Interesting too Roy Keane saying the average age of a promoted Championship player is 29.

Les now looking for a DOF role again. Mmm

19 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Now, I can see what you're planning!  Data analyst becoming Technical Directors!  

Seriously, though, the idea that project managers make the best directors of football I find incredibly depressing.  

Personally I want a DoF and / or CEO to be good at “business”, and in particular good at “football business”…to build and execute a “football strategy”.  That’s very different to a Project Manager imho, so I don’t agree with Tim on that.

Mark Ashton was actually good at that, just didn’t stay within his boundaries.  Ignore his character, he is / was a good football business administrator.

Richard Gould was too, and he stayed within his role remit, but he had Nigel Pearson playing a key “Management” role too, beyond the role title of Football Manager.

Now we have nobody.  It’s criminal.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Personally I want a DoF and / or CEO to be good at “business”, and in particular good at “football business”…to build and execute a “football strategy”.  That’s very different to a Project Manager imho, so I don’t agree with Tim on that.

I guess it's the 'seeing things through' aspect of what a PM should do is what he feels is a strength.  

Making the strategy becomes embedded in what the club does and reflected in roles and accountabilities of staff that can be actually measured against performance is makes it a reality.  

• Like 1

Whether we ever get a DOF or not, I would like to see someone who understands how to create and score goals as opposed to the 11 behind the ball, defending and keeping it tight at the expense of ever going forwards mentality that we currently seem to have.  If this continues, fewer and fewer people will want to pay to watch a mid to lower Championship side playing this style home and away week after week, especially if we end up in a relegation scrap or even worse next season.

Our finances will not improve either as we have now sold all of our crown jewels and have nobody left that anyone else would want to pay good money (or any money) for.

I'm not sure I've seen the club looking more like a rudderless and sinking ship for a very long time.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Mark Ashton was actually good at that, just didn’t stay within his boundaries.  Ignore his character, he is / was a good football business administrator.

Richard Gould was too, and he stayed within his role remit, but he had Nigel Pearson playing a key “Management” role too, beyond the role title of Football Manager.

Now we have nobody.  It’s criminal.

The CEO absolutely has to be good at 'business'. Look at the hoots of derision from some when we appointed Gould, yet it was pretty clear early on he was an absolutely bang-on appointment. 

The DoF role I know less about, so I would defer to wiser heads, but if that person is involved in transfer dealings, they've got to have some sort of commercial brain.

It's shocking that there's a vacuum in these roles. 

10 hours ago, Red Skin said:

I guess it's the 'seeing things through' aspect of what a PM should do is what he feels is a strength.  

Making the strategy becomes embedded in what the club does and reflected in roles and accountabilities of staff that can be actually measured against performance is makes it a reality.  

A good PM will understand all aspects of what's going on in their remit, and can drop in to any technical discussion to bring clarity and decisiveness. For all that I love to wind them up, used properly they can be absolutely priceless.

But it's all worthless if the strategic direction, strategy and resources (including human) aren't there. They're mortals, not magicians.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

The CEO absolutely has to be good at 'business'. Look at the hoots of derision from some when we appointed Gould, yet it was pretty clear early on he was an absolutely bang-on appointment. 

The DoF role I know less about, so I would defer to wiser heads, but if that person is involved in transfer dealings, they've got to have some sort of commercial brain.

It's shocking that there's a vacuum in these roles. 

Yep, he actually came from a business (Surrey CCC) that turned over more than Bristol City, so he took a bit of a backward step to come to us.  I guess he’d missed out on ECB job, and City was a good one for the CV whilst he waited for the next opportunity.

Met him a few times.  Very amiable, stayed in the background, but knew what he was doing.

5 minutes ago, extonsred said:

Haven't read all the posts recently...has there been any talk from above about the amazing idea of having an appropriate board of directors for a a multi million pound industry?

Only on OTIB, not at the club! 😮