IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle away match thread

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Things like this 

His background whilst similar in some regards to Mannings is far more decorative than Mannings. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/danny-rohl-sheffield-wednesday-retirement-red-bull-4568638

I doesn't take a genius to see the job he's done at Wednesday. Relegation certainties to them having a good chance of staying up. If he keeps Wednesday up then that will be a greater achievement than anything Manning has ever achieved. 

Rohl likes to play an intense game. He understands the passion involved in football and he harnesses that whilst at the same time as having all the hallmarks of a modern day coach. He has a strong sense of belief in camaraderie and that collective belief that would suit our squad. 

He's also not an AI bot. He comes accross as very likeable. He understands that fans are the heartbeat of football clubs. Quote from him from the Boro defeat "our support is premier league but our performance wasn't good enough today" you'd not hear Manning say anything like that. 

A very slight worse record with a far inferior squad. Youre trying to compare apples with oranges mate. Imagine what he could do with our squad! 

We all expected Wednesday to be like Rotherham yet here you are comparing them with us to suit a narrative. 

His background is in assistant management and coaching, we’ve been down the route of bringing in good coaches and assistants many times before, when was the last time it worked?

If he keeps Wednesday up then he’s done a good job, but that hardly makes him the best candidate out there. I’ll be honest, he wouldn’t even be on my list never mind at the top of it. Right now we don’t need another brith young thing, since I’ve been supporting this football club employing ‘bright young coaches’ has been far less successful than experienced managers, I see no reason why he would be any different.

Not sure what he could do with our squad, being ‘likeable’ and calling a fan base ‘premier league quality’ sounds more like LJ jargon than actual ability at managing a side. Perhaps he’ll turn out to be the next Klopp, but if we sacked Manning there is no chance we should be going for someone so inexperienced in the professional game, it would be utterly pointless.

I have no narrative at all, my point is that in his few months of management he’s hardly set the world alight, if we do bring in a new manager as a fanbase surely we want someone with experience of managing? Not somebody with 12 wins in his managerial career?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Well I was expecting much more from Argyle than that! A competent performance against opposition that offered little. Our remaining fixtures don’t look too bad, and we should definitely be aiming for a top half finish now.

Tbf I wasn’t and said as much pre game. That was 5 home games in a row without a goal and pre Fosters sacking the fans were moaning about the negative nature of the football. If anything, they surprised me in that first 25 with how positive they were and as said elsewhere, credit to the management for countering that because it seemed a matter of time in that opening period.

• Like 2

Tbh Rohl inherited a truly dreadful position @JBFC II

I've checked, 3 points 11 games. That is at that stage sub Rotherham territory, 0 wins..4 games without a goal, 1 goal in 7 etc.

We are talking record breaking bad..in some ways only way was up but in other ways they were so bad. Chansiri and tax was also an issue at one point.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Danny Rohl would be top of my list. 

Has he over-taken Frank Lampard as your choice ? 

Their should be nobody on top of your list because like it or not Manning is now our manager for the foreseeable future, why don't you just get behind him instead of wasting all your energy on such constant negativity ? 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've checked, 3 points 11 games. That is at that stage sub Rotherham territory, 0 wins..4 games without a goal, 1 goal in 7 etc.

We are talking record breaking bad..in some ways only way was up but in other ways they were so bad. Chansiri and tax was also an issue at one point.

In fairness he hasn't done too bad in putting them in with a chance of staying up, they were truly awful early season

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

In fairness he hasn't done too bad in putting them in with a chance of staying up, they were truly awful early season

Yep. Initially it got a bit worse before it got better but his record is midtableish since mid to late November.

Sunderland have taken a look according to one report.

49 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not doubting he’s done a decent job, and clearly has ability as a coach.

If we sacked Manning this afternoon, how would I feel if we appointed Rohl tomorrow though?

He hasn’t done enough in management yet for me to be certain he’d be an improvement on what we currently have

34 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Not doubting he’s done a decent job, and clearly has ability as a coach.

If we sacked Manning this afternoon, how would I feel if we appointed Rohl tomorrow though?

He hasn’t done enough in management yet for me to be certain he’d be an improvement on what we currently have

I agree to an extent but on many occasions it does work, McKenna at Ipswich, Schumacher at Plymouth, Mousinho at Pompey etc

Jury still feels out on Manning.

Last two games were clearly better than what we have seen of late, certainly not demanding his replacement right now but let's see in respect of summer activity.

Hopefully we are able to keep James and Williams for one.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Has he over-taken Frank Lampard as your choice ? 

Their should be nobody on top of your list because like it or not Manning is now our manager for the foreseeable future, why don't you just get behind him instead of wasting all your energy on such constant negativity ? 

You want me to get behind the guy that has served up the worst football in years? No thanks mate. 

My mind is firmly made up that he needs to be sacked and two 1 nil wins against 2 teams out of form has down absolutely nothing to change that opinion, which is my right. 

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1
12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You want me to get behind the guy that has served up the worst football in years? No thanks mate. 

My mind is firmly made up that he needs to be sacked and two 1 nil wins against 2 teams out of form has down absolutely nothing to change that opinion, which is my right. 

Tbf doubling down is very 2024.

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1
On 01/04/2024 at 15:49, Jimbo76 said:

I know hindsight and all that. But how did we let Szmodics go. Another 2 already today!

I'm glad when bigging him up today on TALKSPORT that 'Colin' didn't mention us. Lets hope he hasn't got his scoring boots on at Ashton Gate next week.

For those that went to the Plymuff match was anyone else amazed at how bad and amateurish the away end was? The whole end holds 1,900 I believe (including the home fans bit). On the TV the away end looks quite good and the rest of the stadium does look ok.

Those flimsy metal fences behind the burger van. The Portaloos. The security staff frisking us on the way in and asking for metal objects to be put on a picnic table. I got frisked and I could have had a machine gun up my jacket for all the good it did.

I was happy that the Stewards seem to be ok with us standing all game and in most of the walk ways and on the steps but they seem to not care for the most part about safety issues. Our Stewards would have had a meltdown. 

It all looked very League 1 which I'm guessing they will be back to next season anyway.

2 hours ago, supercidered said:

I was happy that the Stewards seem to be ok with us standing all game and in most of the walk ways and on the steps but they seem to not care for the most part about safety issues. Our Stewards would have had a meltdown. 

Away fans are treated exactly the same at Ashton Gate (as it should be). Same at most grounds around the country really, only ever really remember militant stewarding at West Ham and Watford in recent years. Most clubs just decide it isn’t worth the hassle I think, but it’s the opposite with home fans.

• Like 2