IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle away match thread

First time I ever watched City was at Home Park.  Can't remember if it was December 67 or December 68 offhand but it always stirs the memory when we play there.

In typical City style, having played extremely well to beat the Foxes on Friday, you can be sure that we will **** it up against the Pilgrims on Monday.

Hope I'm wrong and we will see a repeat of the Leicester game though I don't want to see Plymouth relegated.

• Like 2

I haven’t been there for ages and definitely not since they re-developed the ground. The park behind the away end was often lively and the toilets were like a swamp. One weird memory I have (must have been early 1990s) is when away fans were let out from the gates at the front of the away terrace after the game and had to walk across the pitch to be let out of the ground at the other end. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Offside said:

I haven’t been there for ages and definitely not since they re-developed the ground. The park behind the away end was often lively and the toilets were like a swamp. One weird memory I have (must have been early 1990s) is when away fans were let out from the gates at the front of the away terrace after the game and had to walk across the pitch to be let out of the ground at the other end. 

That was a cup game IIRC. We could have won it in the last minute of normal time (hit the post?) and they went on to win 1-0 in ET - Dwight Marshall scored I think. It was a bit weird though being led across the pitch.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

IMG_4524.jpeg

I was at this game, I believe it was Good Friday 1985, my first visit to Home Park.

We lost 1-0 I think, and my memories include their mob trying to get out through the locked gates before the game to have a go at us in their car park, and also having lumps of concrete thrown at us during the game. Welcome to the mild south west.

I trust those going tomorrow enjoy more pleasant day out all round 😊

• Like 1

Does anyone know how Evander Holyfield became a Plymouth supporter?

On a different note HMS Bellerophon, which you mentioned, has an interesting history. The logbooks have survived and give an insight into life on board in the 1800s. There were several ex slaves on board who had escaped from slavery by swimming to the ship. In those days anyone who put one foot onboard one of His Majesty’s ships instantly became a free man. One of the ex slaves was a white American who had been captured whilst sailing off the coast of Africa. The logbooks show a level of meritocracy that didn’t exist outside of the navy. No mere sailor could rise to become an officer but they could rise to the top jobs below officer class. For example, black ex slaves became “top men”. This was one of the most difficult and dangerous jobs as they had to climb to to top of the masts in all weathers, storm or no storm, to manage the sails

Enough of the history - City to win 2-0

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Does anyone know how Evander Holyfield became a Plymouth supporter?

On a different note HMS Bellerophon, which you mentioned, has an interesting history. The logbooks have survived and give an insight into life on board in the 1800s. There were several ex slaves on board who had escaped from slavery by swimming to the ship. In those days anyone who put one foot onboard one of His Majesty’s ships instantly became a free man. One of the ex slaves was a white American who had been captured whilst sailing off the coast of Africa. The logbooks show a level of meritocracy that didn’t exist outside of the navy. No mere sailor could rise to become an officer but they could rise to the top jobs below officer class. For example, black ex slaves became “top men”. This was one of the most difficult and dangerous jobs as they had to climb to to top of the masts in all weathers, storm or no storm, to manage the sails

Enough of the history - City to win 2-0

Plymouth’s name was apparently drawn from a hat on Soccer AM during a segment involving Holyfield as the programme looked to find a team for him to follow!

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Plymouth’s name was apparently drawn from a hat on Soccer AM during a segment involving Holyfield as the programme looked to find a team for him to follow!

So he didn`t used to stand on an orange box at the Devonport End with his grandad back in the seventies then?

• Haha 5
58 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

I’m glad a name for me wasn’t drawn out of a hat for me. If it had I’d have ended up supporting 7 3/8th

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

For example, black ex slaves became “top men”. This was one of the most difficult and dangerous jobs as they had to climb to to top of the masts in all weathers, storm or no storm, to manage the sails

I remember an old pal (now sadly passed) telling me about being 'button boy' at HMS Ganges, training establishment..

The idea was to stand at the top of the mast, 143 feet, holding the top spike between the knees...makes me dizzy thinking about it!large_000000.thumb.jpg.e2f53d6cd4778884279c25ca35c0f163.jpg

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

I remember an old pal (now sadly passed) telling me about being 'button boy' at HMS Ganges, training establishment..

The idea was to stand at the top of the mast, 143 feet, holding the top spike between the knees...makes me dizzy thinking about it!large_000000.thumb.jpg.e2f53d6cd4778884279c25ca35c0f163.jpg

I saw a documentary awhile back about this very thing and how the lads climbed up and the top lad was always the last to ascend but the first descend and he did it by using rigging cable hanging on upside down with feet crossed over the rope and used his hands one over the other - it was truly amazing.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, City Rocker said:

I was at this game, I believe it was Good Friday 1985, my first visit to Home Park.

We lost 1-0 I think, and my memories include their mob trying to get out through the locked gates before the game to have a go at us in their car park, and also having lumps of concrete thrown at us during the game. Welcome to the mild south west.

I trust those going tomorrow enjoy more pleasant day out all round 😊

Yep, it was a damp, miserable Good Friday. Tommy Tynan scored their winner late on when John Shaw, I think it was, misjudged a ball into our box. We had what seemed a good goal disallowed.
We were in with a chance of back-to-back promotions. We beat promotion rivals Hull on Easter Monday 2-0, but fell away. Won only four of our last nine to finish 5th, six points behind the third promotion spot. No play-offs in those days. 

Edited by firstdivision

I'm told by older fans that City once lost 5-0 at Plymouth on Boxing Day and that goalie Tony Cook was drunk. The next day was the return fixture at AG. Bob Anderson replaced Tony C in goal and City won 6-0. 

Dunno about you, but I'd like to see a return to "local" derbies again at holiday times with the fixtures just 24 hours apart. For some reason they always lwd to odd score lines such as I detailed above.

• Like 1

Differing views from the Green Army ahead of this game; https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/argyle-v-bristol-city-the-build-up.127606/

Liam Manning & Scott Twine fill me with dread. Their last visit to the Theatre of Greens was a day to forget for our beloved club. Be interesting to see who will be given the task of stopping Twine & quick feet Mehmeti.

They Played For Both
Kieran Agard, Paul Anderson, Ian Baird, Tyreeq Bakinson, Andre Blackman, Yannick Bolasie, Joe Bryan, Richard Davis, Keith Fear, Arnold Garita, Rene Gilmartin, Trevor Jacobs, Joe Lennox, Guy Madjo, Sean McCarthy, Alan Miller, Kevin Nugent, Karleigh Osborne, Scott Partridge, Forbes Phillipson-Masters, Bobby Reid, Gary Sawyer, Steven Sessegnon, Enoch Showunmi, Phil Starbuck, Ryan Taylor, Robbie Turner, Zak Vyner. Any more? Dave Smith Dave Burnside?

I didn't realise Trevor Jacobs & Keith Fear had played for both. Correct if wrong but I believe Dave Burnside was a Bristolian, but never played for either Bristol club.

7 minutes ago, 22A said:

I'm told by older fans that City once lost 5-0 at Plymouth on Boxing Day and that goalie Tony Cook was drunk. The next day was the return fixture at AG. Bob Anderson replaced Tony C in goal and City won 6-0. 

Dunno about you, but I'd like to see a return to "local" derbies again at holiday times with the fixtures just 24 hours apart. For some reason they always lwd to odd score lines such as I detailed above.

• Like 1

The shortest I’ve had to travel for a City game since I lived in Bristol 21 years ago. When the fixtures came out I was hoping we’d still have a chance of getting in the playoffs when we visited Plymouth. Looking forward to it anyway.

A draw, probably 1-1.