IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle away match thread

Where’s all this “acid test”, “big game” etc stuff coming from.  It’s a fairly meaningless end of season game.  Hope we play well, hope we win, but depending on other results, the best we can hope for us to jump up to 11th.  Hardly earth shattering stuff.

• Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 5
2 minutes ago, Malago said:

Where’s all this “acid test”, “big game” etc stuff coming from.  It’s a fairly meaningless end of season game.  Hope we play well, hope we win, but depending on other results, the best we can hope for us to jump up to 11th.  Hardly earth shattering stuff.

No game is meaningless for Manning at this point in time, nor is it for several players either.  It’s about more than the league table at 5pm.

• Like 14

Unchanged initially feels like an odd choice given how different the opposition are.

Feels reactive rather than proactive, but I guess the other view is that Friday was a slightly different set up to our "normal" one, so maybe that was when we saw the shift and this is now the new normal...not sure about that though.

3 minutes ago, Malago said:

I don't think the table is the big thing. We need performances , consistency and an obvious improvement in the coming games. Looks like Manning has until the summer, but I do think the Jury is out on whether he starts next season.
Wins and some good form will cement his position and take some pressure away.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yea 5 at the back vs Plymouth, absolutely fantastic that we are scared of Plymouth.

Why not wait to see how intent we are first.  There was no lack of intent playing this way on Good Friday.

• Like 16

Yea 5 at the back vs Plymouth, absolutely fantastic that we are scared of Plymouth.

Plymouth need points and I think we will invite them on to us and look to attack. It’s what we do best rather than let opposition sit back. Who knows, if we win we won’t question the tactics.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Malago said:

It's a manager who has failed to beat (too) many sides at the bottom end of the table showing us that he can go to Plymouth, get a result this afternoon and not fall to a sixth defeat in eight matches. No, not earth shattering stuff but if the club want the manager to have the confidence of the fans and if they want to shift a few more season tickets it is very important that the great performance and result last Friday is followed up with results over the next seven matches however meaningless you might deem them to be.

• Robin 1
8 minutes ago, Malago said:

So you’re saying that’s it now for the season?  Weird POV. He’s very much on trial still for me and all games matter.  Let’s follow up Friday with a win today.   We were promised better.  Let’s have it.  

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I’m no fan of Manning but I do think you’re being overly negative here. 

352, or whatever variation we’re playing of it today, can be a really attacking way of playing if we get it right. It’s the intensity we play with and the intent we show that will dictate the result and level of performance today.

I’m not confident we’ll win and I’m also not confident that we will get at them in the way we did to Leicester on Friday, but if we don’t that won’t be because of the way we’ve set up. 

Edited by Jacki
  • Like 4
5 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Plymouth need points and I think we will invite them on to us and look to attack. It’s what we do best rather than let opposition sit back. Who knows, if we win we won’t question the tactics.

Some people will question the tactics / formation no matter what 

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

So you’re saying that’s it now for the season?  Weird POV. He’s very much on trial still for me and all games matter.  Let’s follow up Friday with a win today.   We were promised better.  Let’s have it.  

Ok Delia 

• Confused 1
8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Unchanged initially feels like an odd choice given how different the opposition are.

Feels reactive rather than proactive, but I guess the other view is that Friday was a slightly different set up to our "normal" one, so maybe that was when we saw the shift and this is now the new normal...not sure about that though.

Sykes has to play. I’d prefer him as RWB 

12 minutes ago, Malago said:

The last game was the defining one if it suits one's narrative, but the next game is defining if that suits better...

3 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I’m no fan of Manning but I do think you’re being overly negative here.

352, or whatever variation we’re playing of it today, can be a really attacking way of playing if we get it right. It’s the intensity we play with and the intent we show that will dictate the result and level of performance today.

I’m not confident we’ll win and I’m also not confident that we will play with the well get at them in the way we did to Leicester other day, but if we don’t that won’t be because of the way we’ve set up. 

Absolutely hate 3/5 at the back as no wingers. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, redkev said:

Some people will question the tactics / formation no matter what 

The thing I want to see over the remainder of the season is in those games where Liam's set-up DOESN'T work, how proactive will he be to change it up? Will he just stand there and let it fail for 80 minutes or do something about it a lot sooner? For me that has been a massive failing of his so far and part of the reason he has a defeat percentage that exceeds 45%.

• Like 1
  • Admin

Absolutely hate 3/5 at the back as no wingers. 

Very much depends on the style (or intent, as Dave put it above) of that 3/5.

A Cotts' style 352 was pretty attacking and wasn't too dissimilar to Venables' 352 in Euro96.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I prefer a manager who focuses on setting us up to play to our strengths. Chopping and changing to match the opposition is the wrong mindset imho. So fine by me if this shape is gonna suit us. Whether Liam will actually start doing this remains to be seen.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No game is meaningless for Manning at this point in time, nor is it for several players either.  It’s about more than the league table at 5pm.

Win, lose or draw, Manning will be manager at 5pm and he’ll be manager at the start of next season too.

Its what happens between then and the second international break that will really matter.

All you’re trying to do is build up an end of season bog standard championship game into something it isn't.

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

The last game was the defining one if it suits one's narrative, but the next game is defining if that suits better...

Sometimes there isn't a particular "narrative". If Liam wants to succeed he has to produce consistency not Southampton, five defeats, Leicester City, five defeats. That's no good. Most people want to see him produce over a number of games and are far more nuanced than judging over one game. Not everyone though.

• Like 2

We did ok with a back 3/5 under Cotts. Needn't be a negative set up.

Of course we aren't going up or down, but it's far from meaningless. Need to put some performances together and show some of what we did on Friday.

Come on you reds (why are we playing in yellow and green? Against Plymouth?! A few of them have green training tops on too...madness!)🫣

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The thing I want to see over the remainder of the season is in those games where Liam's set-up DOESN'T work, how proactive will he be to change it up? Will he just stand there and let it fail for 80 minutes or do something about it a lot sooner? For me that has been a massive failing of his so far and part of the reason he has a defeat percentage that exceeds 45%.

I agree , but I thought on Friday the subs he made and the timings were spot on ( a rarity I admit but they did work ) 

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

I prefer a manager who focuses on setting us up to play to our strengths. Chopping and changing to match the opposition is the wrong mindset imho. So fine by me if this shape is gonna suit us. Whether Liam will actually start doing this remains to be seen.

^^^ 

Much rather us setting up to play to our strengths rather then the opponents weaknesses. 

Need to see some more in the final third from Twine today personally, clearly has it in his locker but yet to see it properly.