IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle away match thread

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Absolutely hate 3/5 at the back as no wingers. 

Does any modern formation accommodate old fashioned wingers though? 433 tends to have wide forwards who don’t really play that wide, and becomes 451 when out of possession. I’d actually rather 352 in many ways, at least the wing backs can give genuine width if they play their role properly 

And I’m completely with you on wingers by the way…. Hopefully they’ll be back in fashion again one day once Pep has buggered off and retired 😂

Anyway COYR 

4 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Very much depends on the style (or intent, as Dave put it above) of that 3/5.

A Cotts' style 352 was pretty attacking and wasn't too dissimilar to Venables' 352 in Euro96.

Venables & manning in the same breath 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, lenred said:

So you’re saying that’s it now for the season?  Weird POV. He’s very much on trial still for me and all games matter.  Let’s follow up Friday with a win today.   We were promised better.  Let’s have it.  

Anything that happens between now and the end of the season is meaningless in comparison to what happens between August and the mid/end of October.  That’s when Manning will be truly judged.  That’s my POV.

Edited by Malago
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Malago said:

Win, lose or draw, Manning will be manager at 5pm and he’ll be manager at the start of next season too.

Its what happens between then and the second international break that will really matter.

All you’re trying to do is build up an end of season bog standard championship game into something it isn't.

Each game means something different to each supporter and not necessarily revolving around what you think it means. Some are looking at these next three or four matches and deciding whether they buy a season ticket or not. It's not bog standard to them and if their decision goes the wrong way because Liam is safe in his job and can't be arsed to produce then it won't be bog standard to the club. After the 90% rubbish we have sat through since the win on Boxing Day it is not unreasonable to ask Liam to give something for supporters to grasp onto.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, cellist said:

Watching mebude warm up...I don't think he reckons he's getting on the pitch today!

Really strange one this, felt like overall are transfers havent been big misses like this in quite a while. Maybe with the exception of Kane Wilson. But from what we’ve seen of Mebude, which is very little tbf, he doesn’t offer anything of value over another player. 

Edited by George Rs
1 minute ago, Jacki said:

Does any modern formation accommodate old fashioned wingers though? 433 tends to have wide forwards who don’t really play that wide, and becomes 451 when out of possession. I’d actually rather 352 in many ways, at least the wing backs can give genuine width if they play their role properly 

And I’m completely with you on wingers by the way…. Hopefully they’ll be back in fashion again one day once Pep has buggered off and retired 😂

Anyway COYR 

Tbf , pring & Roberts do bomb forward , not so much Tanner , as for wingers though it depends who your wingers are 

I’ll throw Anthony of Man U in the mix the most non winger winger in the premier league 

1 minute ago, Malago said:

Anything that happens between now and of the season is meaningless in comparison to what happens between August and the mid/end of October.  That’s when Manning will be truly judged.  That’s my POV.

And you’re entitled to it. As am I to completely disagree.  

13 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It just reminds me of what LJ used to do. 

Would stumble across something that worked and kept on until it no longer worked. 

As opposed to finding something that works and then... not doing it again, presumably in favour of something that doesn't work? 

Isn't that what we've been accusing Manning of?

So finding a plan that works and trying it more than once is a negative. Bizarre.

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, Malago said:

Where’s all this “acid test”, “big game” etc stuff coming from.  It’s a fairly meaningless end of season game.  Hope we play well, hope we win, but depending on other results, the best we can hope for us to jump up to 11th.  Hardly earth shattering stuff.

Disagree, this games fairly important IMO.

Its a chance for Liam to prove that he isn’t a “one trick pony” in terms of game plan.

It’s also a chance for him to win some fans back I reckon, or start to at least.

I think loads of us were excited after Southampton and thought we’d turned the corner and we all know what happened since.

So is Leicester another anomaly where the opponents press and attacking style left gaps for us to expose (which is our strengths despite Liam not because of him) or, let’s give him some credit as he changed formation and plan, was it signs that Liam did his homework and set up well to beat the team in front of him?

One thing that was notably different was the high press. I can’t understand why we aren’t doing that against “weaker” teams instead of this stand off stalemate nonsense we saw against Swansea.

If we see that press, and some more direct play today - OR - if they sit in but we manage to unlock them, then I think a few opinions may change.

If we see a repeat of QPR, Swansea, Wednesday etc then Friday was ultimately pointless really.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Each game means something different to each supporter and not necessarily revolving around what you think it means. Some are looking at these next three or four matches and deciding whether they buy a season ticket or not. It's not bog standard to them and if their decision goes the wrong way because Liam is safe in his job and can't be arsed to produce then it won't be bog standard to the club. After the 90% rubbish we have sat through since the win on Boxing Day it is not unreasonable to ask Liam to give something for supporters to grasp onto.

As I said I hope we play well, I hope we win. It just won’t be the end of the world if we don’t, at least not for me.

4 minutes ago, redkev said:

I agree , but I thought on Friday the subs he made and the timings were spot on ( a rarity I admit but they did work ) 

Absolutely. The first time I have looked at his substitutions and thought they all effected the game in the way you would want them to. He could have played it safer and delayed the changes but he didn't, as you say it was the timings as much as the changes.

19 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Morgan Whittaker a big danger for them.  Wouldn’t mind him down the gate 

Little chance IMO.

Lazio reportedly had a bid turned down in January, if we went up maybe but given Brentford and their record with buying Lower League players, his versatility and his scope for improvement it wouldn't surprise if they made a serious bid as part of the post Toney succession plan.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
39 minutes ago, Malago said:

Where’s all this “acid test”, “big game” etc stuff coming from.  It’s a fairly meaningless end of season game.  Hope we play well, hope we win, but depending on other results, the best we can hope for us to jump up to 11th.  Hardly earth shattering stuff.

I would have thought it was important for Manning. Can he follow up a good performance with another one and begin to show if he has what it takes to manage a club in the championship. If not it is further evidence of the fact he was a very poor choice. So for him a lot to play for and it would surely be good for the players as well.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yea 5 at the back vs Plymouth, absolutely fantastic that we are scared of Plymouth.

Were we scared of Leicester? Didn’t look it.

Easy to say 5 at the back if you want to be negative about it, or you could say it’s 3 at the back?

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

why not play in black or home kit? Seems silly for there to be lots of green

I’d imagine that would be a nightmare for anyone who is colour blind, particularly red v green. As theirs is dark green then I assume black might be difficult to?

• Like 2