IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle away match thread

11 hours ago, 22A said:

Differing views from the Green Army ahead of this game; https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/argyle-v-bristol-city-the-build-up.127606/

Liam Manning & Scott Twine fill me with dread. Their last visit to the Theatre of Greens was a day to forget for our beloved club. Be interesting to see who will be given the task of stopping Twine & quick feet Mehmeti.

They Played For Both
Kieran Agard, Paul Anderson, Ian Baird, Tyreeq Bakinson, Andre Blackman, Yannick Bolasie, Joe Bryan, Richard Davis, Keith Fear, Arnold Garita, Rene Gilmartin, Trevor Jacobs, Joe Lennox, Guy Madjo, Sean McCarthy, Alan Miller, Kevin Nugent, Karleigh Osborne, Scott Partridge, Forbes Phillipson-Masters, Bobby Reid, Gary Sawyer, Steven Sessegnon, Enoch Showunmi, Phil Starbuck, Ryan Taylor, Robbie Turner, Zak Vyner. Any more? Dave Smith Dave Burnside?

I didn't realise Trevor Jacobs & Keith Fear had played for both. Correct if wrong but I believe Dave Burnside was a Bristolian, but never played for either Bristol club.

Dave Burnside was with us as a youth player and was signed by Alan Dicks in 71/72 season but only made one appearance. Wasn't he famous for his ball juggling skills? Seem to remember he gave a pre match exhibition of his skills at AG on one occasion?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Argyle are in deep relegation trouble and they hate Bristol City. Their players and fans will be 100% up for this. Any faffing around, any passengers in the team, any lethargy or tactical mistakes and we’ll get murdered. 

On the other hand, they absolutely hate their manager. I’ve got many argyle supporting mates and they are not confident about this game whatsoever having not scored in their previous 4 home games.

If we make a bright start and take the lead it could become very toxic from the home fans as it did v Preston for them in their last home game.

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Imagine teams playing 2 games in 24 hours seems inconceivable, and that was in the days of no subs.

It was three matches in four days at Easter.

The same opponents, home and away on Good Friday and Easter Monday. And a match on the Saturday in between.

In 1957/8 I saw all three. West Ham at Ashton Gate on Friday, Leicester City away on Saturday and W Ham at Upton Park on Monday. Two draws and one defeat.

• Like 7
41 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

On the other hand, they absolutely hate their manager. I’ve got many argyle supporting mates and they are not confident about this game whatsoever having not scored in their previous 4 home games.

If we make a bright start and take the lead it could become very toxic from the home fans as it did v Preston for them in their last home game.

I can’t imagine ever feeling like that…

• Haha 5

Today is the acid test if Manning can be a success here. Good Friday was yet another yard mark from where we have to kick on from. He can't afford another dip in performance on and off the pitch. For every top team we play there are 5 or 6 average Championship teams (and I'm not being disrespectful) Its no good beating a top team and then fail miserably against the rest.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

So maybe we’re not the ficklest fans after all. 

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Imagine teams playing 2 games in 24 hours seems inconceivable, and that was in the days of no subs.

I don’t know when it became not the done thing..but we did play away to West Brom and then home to Forest on consecutive days in December ‘93

edit..that’s a lot longer ago than I realised actually..

Edited by David Brent
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, pillred said:

I know. Seems daft by modern standards.

As late as the 1974-75 season, we played Good Friday and then the following day. The reason I remember it was because it effectively cost us promotion. We won 1-0 at Southampton on Good Friday. Great result. Then the following day we played Norwich at home. They were one of our big promotion rivals. (They went up.) Norwich didn’t play the day before. So unjust by modern standards where the games are generally organised more fairly.

Our performance was, unsurprisingly, lethargic. We lost 1-0 and missed out on promotion. Made up for it the following season though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
5 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Argyle are in deep relegation trouble and they hate Bristol City. Their players and fans will be 100% up for this. Any faffing around, any passengers in the team, any lethargy or tactical mistakes and we’ll get murdered. 

Have some mates who are Argyle fans , this is massive for them, 2 points out of the relegation zone, so please before the regular meltdown on here realise this is their cup final, will be very tough and hostile 

38 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Have some mates who are Argyle fans , this is massive for them, 2 points out of the relegation zone, so please before the regular meltdown on here realise this is their cup final, will be very tough and hostile 

Why should that matter?  We’re not the Under 8s team! 

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Today should be a continuation of intent, method, trying to repeat Friday.  Performances can vary, I’ll live with that, but the change in intent on Good Friday from many previous weeks was enjoyable.

Well…..according to Manning it’ll be all about ‘behaviours and emotions’ and having beaten the Foxes BT has another result to mention………….:cool2:

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Today should be a continuation of intent, method, trying to repeat Friday.  Performances can vary, I’ll live with that, but the change in intent on Good Friday from many previous weeks was enjoyable.

Hopefully Sam Bell has been charged with setting the game plan again… He’s one from one… 👍

• Haha 2
  • Robin 1
11 hours ago, pillred said:

Ok, only as an amateur - I played Saturday afternoon Sunday morning for years- and the Sunday often after a night on the ale.

Definitely doable.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Ok, only as an amateur - I played Saturday afternoon Sunday morning for years- and the Sunday often after a night on the ale.

Definable doable.

Remember playing double-headers at end of season, usually 35 mins each way x two.  Although if you had an amiable ref, you might agree to play one match and report the score twice! 😉

• Like 1