IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle away match thread

The odd 'Manning Out' zealot turning up with a hint of humility.

Maybe, as I previously suggested, a little premature in the judgement and definitely inappropriately personal in nature.

I wasn't 'Manning In'. I said give him some  time and limit the personal abuse.

I am however enjoying the subtle first efforts at U turns that are now cropping up.

Some of the big guns still holding out though. 😜

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1
7 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Have you tried those enchroma glasses? Not sure if they work in all cases?!

I'm not colour blind , I was just showing an example that made it clearer for me. 
Interesting glasses though 

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Mehmeti won’t get an assist for today which is why assist stats are flawed.  Someone will use his lack of assists to beat him with at some point I’m sure but for me today is an assist. 

Will Sykes ? It was his shot that was deflected to Wells . 

Not sure how the whole assist thing works, if it's one of those random groups of ex Pros it won't make sense.

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Mehmeti won’t get an assist for today which is why assist stats are flawed.  Someone will use his lack of assists to beat him with at some point I’m sure but for me today is an assist. 

Sykes doesn’t either.  Yep, assist are “nice and fluffy” guff.

3 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I’d expect manning to beat the total tbh but Both crap then?

Why do you reach that conclusion?

2 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

Maybe, as I previously suggested, a little premature in the judgement and definitely inappropriately personal in nature.

I am however enjoying the subtle first efforts at U turns that are now cropping up.

Sort of get your point at the edges, but think most have called bad performances and good performances what they were. Always exceptions as there were with NP and all before him, a few more interested in being right ahead of anything else. 

I still have no faith in Manning, however good to see him break his rule book and make subs at HT instead of waiting for the 60th minute. The 3 changes certainly had a positive effect. 

Bringing on Cornick, who to me seems like a headless chicken, to replace Mehmeti was a strange one, unless Mehmeti had picked up a knock as he certainly had their defence worried. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Sort of get your point at the edges, but think most have called bad performances and good performances what they were. Always exceptions as there were with NP and all before him, a few more interested in being right ahead of anything else. 

It's worth revisiting some of the 'Manning Out' posts to see how it lost perspective, at least from some.

Maybe a vocal minority.

As I say, just fun watching the u turns from those that were so anti Manning. Or at least I think it will be.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Definitely Wells’ goal. On RTV they showed a super slo-mo of the goal. The ball hit the defender’s head, onto Wells’ head and into the net. 

Cheers mate, I didn't see that.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

It's worth revisiting some of the 'Manning Out' posts to see how it lost perspective, at least from some.

Maybe a vocal minority.

As I say, just fun watching the u turns from those that were so anti Manning. Or at least I think it will be.

I’ll have no issue fronting up Jimbo if he proves to be a good appointment for City.

I would’ve sacked him after Cardiff.  I made a big call.  Not like me to do so. no fun in doing so either.

But we have played differently in this weekend’s games, I feel it’s right to try to understand why.  Have you seen differences?  

I’ll still review each game objectively.

• Like 7
  • Admin
30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Can you expand further?  I had a tough time watching on RTV today…what change did he make?

I’d have to watch it back to see for sure, but it felt like Robert’s was pushed more into a fullback role and Cam came inside to midfield?

Maybe it was more intent than actual positioning? You now have me questioning my memory 😂

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

I completely understand people don't want to be patient especially when sitting through some of what we've watched this season but it's just a bit of a non-event - he's not going anywhere, especially now we're safe.

Taking a leaf out of WSM Seagull's book, wherever we finish this season doesn't mean all that much, you'd expect a fair amount of movement this summer. A lot can change between now and the start of August, Manning clearly has some pedigree albeit limited and this is slightly pointing out the obvious but the first 10 games of next season, that feels like the right time to judge.

• Like 1
Just now, Ian M said:

I’d have to watch it back to see for sure, but it felt like Robert’s was pushed more into a fullback role and Cam came inside to midfield?

Maybe it was more intent than actual positioning? You now have me questioning my memory 😂

Ta, chatting to someone else just now they saw it more as Pring “dropping in”.  He started off really advanced, and Whittaker had no intention of tracking him back.  So felt like a bit more “common sense” / cautious play, I.e. just sit in for bit Cam…than a formation change LM stated post-match.

Obviously, second half was defo 4231.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ll have no issue fronting up Jimbo if he proves to be a good appointment for City.

I would’ve sacked him after Cardiff.  I made a big call.  Not like me to do so. no fun in doing so either.

But we have played differently in this weekend’s games, I feel it’s right to try to understand why.  Have you seen differences?  

Great post Fevs. I was, and still am, surprised that you jumped to that conclusion when you did, but it may still be the correct one, we shall see.

There's no doubting that you're passionately wanting City to win. There are a few on OTIB clearly with more of an agenda but hey, it's OTIB!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Ron W said:

I completely understand people don't want to be patient especially when sitting through some of what we've watched this season but it's just a bit of a non-event - he's not going anywhere, especially now we're safe..

I’m not sure had we lost both this weekend - “he’s not going anywhere” would’ve had such confidence! 😉

• Like 3
1 minute ago, mozo said:

Great post Fevs. I was, and still am, surprised that you jumped to reached that conclusion when you did, but it may still be the correct one, we shall see.

There's no doubting that you're passionately wanting City to win. There are a few on OTIB clearly with more of an agenda but hey, it's OTIB!

Tweaked.

😉

• Facepalm 1
3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Two back to back clean sheets along with 6 points is long overdue Imo.

The problem I’ve had is trying to fathom what method LM actually trying to implement and you along with Spudski and Cowshed are students of the beautiful game and none of you could fathom it either.

You say that City played differently in the last two games - in what way?

The only thing I noticed was how much more solid we were in both games.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

Maybe a vocal minority.

You can enjoy the wins but still question the overall ability of the manager, those 2 opinions can still be valid. One swallow  does not make the summer and all that.

The last 2 results have bought him time, the jury is very much still out for me. The football is slightly better and a bit more entertaining. We beat Leicester but on another day they could have been out of sight in the first half if Vardy had brought his finishing boots with him.

Most posters and even the negative ones have watched enough football to appreciate and acknowledge if there is an improvement, and most will enjoy being wrong if that’s the case, as ultimately City will be more successful and ultimately more entertaining. If seeing that gives you kicks then good for you. 

• Like 7

I’m not sure had we lost both this weekend - “he’s not going anywhere” would’ve had such confidence! 😉

Ah I didn't put the 'now we're safe' caveat the moment we hit 52 points by accident now Dave... 😋

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As I say, I wasn't sure which way it was going to go with him. Just felt a bit uncomfortable with the timing and nature of the backlash.

He might not be the answer but I get the impression that he has a work ethic, ambition and the players are playing for him and believing in him. Can't ask much more than that.

If he succeeds, I think most of us think it will be despite those above him, not because of them.

I think he's shown a lot in the last two games of what people were berating him for in terms of tactics, game management and subs.

I'm not being all knowing after the event. I think most of his critics, you included, gave a rationale for the criticism.

Some weren't quite so measured.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

You can enjoy the wins but still question the overall ability of the manager, those 2 opinions can still be valid. One swallow  does not make the summer and all that.

The last 2 results have bought him time, the jury is very much still out for me. The football is slightly better and a bit more entertaining. We beat Leicester but on another day they could have been out of sight in the first half if Vardy had brought his finishing boots with him.

Most posters and even the negative ones have watched enough football to appreciate and acknowledge if there is an improvement, and most will enjoy being wrong if that’s the case, as ultimately City will be more successful and ultimately more entertaining. If seeing that gives you kicks then good for you. 

Not sure about the first half bit v Leicester, second half sure but worth remembering the double save by Hermansen and the one if not two clear penalties denied at 0-0. Mehmeti also nearly created something.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Yep, Swansea would’ve been the deal breaker for me. Even though we performed horribly we still got over the line. 

I haven’t a clue about the FrA managerial market however, so probably tougher for me to call for a sacking without knowing who would come in to replace him. 

Good to see him showing some tactically flexibility today and the ability to string some results together. Not out of the woods yet but at least he’s making steps in that direction. 

Based on who we play in our last 6, he needs to hit at least 60 and preferably closer to 65 (with similar performances) for me to be content with him having the summer, although he will most likely get it either way now. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

red v green makes it virtually impossible for me (for one) to watch. I'm sorry that upsets you

Me too. I've also been having some issues with the man utd away kit when watching sky. The Brentford game was particularly bad. Maybe the width of their stripes don't agree with me.

20 minutes ago, Ian M said:

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ta, chatting to someone else just now they saw it more as Pring “dropping in”.  He started off really advanced, and Whittaker had no intention of tracking him back.  So felt like a bit more “common sense” / cautious play, I.e. just sit in for bit Cam…than a formation change LM stated post-match.

Obviously, second half was defo 4231.

Manning said they went back 4 after about 20 minutes. 
It did look like , at least for the first 5/10 mins after the change , that Pring still played WB but Roberts was bombing on from CB . One of the Plymouth Coms said similar.  Roberts and Pring seemed to rotate who was further forward for a while , and then settled . LM said they kept the same shape to match how Plymouth had set up all season , and they changed . He wanted to get higher up the pitch.
It worked , but to me it looked like we changed from a block back to a press , which changed the game.  
Got to give credit to Manning for the early shape change, and again for the Subs which helped keeping us on top.

Forgot to add;

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2
Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not sure about the first half bit v Leicester, 2nd half sure bit worth remembering the double save by Hermansen and the one if not two clear penalties denied at 0-0.

That’s fair. I confused the first and the 2nd half with that double save of Max’s. But yes we had enough 1st half chances to have put the game to bed as well. 

• Like 1