IGNORED

Max O’Leary (merged topics)

GrahamC

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

When we are top-6 next season we can then judge how good he is! 😉

Seriously, he’s a very capable and solid GK…importantly, trusted by his defence.

A very good defence generally and what a signing Dickie has been 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crackers Corner said:

He has improved massively over last few months. Kicking is better and has kept us in several games 

Feel like his kicking has got better due to the areas he’s hitting. Now going shorter and doesn’t seem to be aiming for the touchline when he goes long which he used to do every time 

21 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It depends a little on how you define "one of the best". For me I'd say it means he's in the top 6 in enough stats/areas to be in that conversation. I'd say as well that I say he looks like one of the best, because the defence in front of him improves him. I don't necessarily mean that he is, objectively, one of the top keepers in this division.

Anyway, Max is:

3rd best save% this season.

4th for overall number of saves.

6th best for goals conceded.

7th best for stopping crosses.

Top 10 for most stats relevant to being a sweeper. Top 6 for one or two.

He's not up there for every stat, and not all stats indicate whether a goalkeeper in isolation is good/bad, but yeh he's putting in top 6/top 10 numbers in multiple categories.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/keepersadv/Championship-Stats

Caveat - all the "xg is nonsense" / "stats can prove anything" luddites can just skip ahead ;) 

You're right of course - however, as I know you like your stats and xG, take a look at the expected column.

The post shot xG for Max shows he faces the 2nd lowest post shot xG (per shot on target) in the division. His xG against is actually slightly lower than you'd expect. Per 90m, he's mid table - 14th. In fact his (deep breath) Post shot xG minus goals allowed per 90m is 0.0. He's doing exactly as well as you'd expect.

He's good in other areas and for the record I think he's doing a great job this year and wouldn't be looking to upgrade, but he's doing as expected this year imo for a Championship keeper, and nothing remarkable (when it comes to shot stopping). Obviously there's more to being a keeper than that, and he does well there too.

If I've misread/understood anything please do correct me - as it gets kinda complex quite quickly!

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Caveat - all the "xg is nonsense" / "stats can prove anything" luddites can just skip ahead ;) 

You're right of course - however, as I know you like your stats and xG, take a look at the expected column.

The post shot xG for Max shows he faces the 2nd lowest post shot xG (per shot on target) in the division. His xG against is actually slightly lower than you'd expect. Per 90m, he's mid table - 14th. In fact his (deep breath) Post shot xG minus goals allowed per 90m is 0.0. He's doing exactly as well as you'd expect.

He's good in other areas and for the record I think he's doing a great job this year and wouldn't be looking to upgrade, but he's doing as expected this year imo for a Championship keeper, and nothing remarkable (when it comes to shot stopping). Obviously there's more to being a keeper than that, and he does well there too.

If I've misread/understood anything please do correct me - as it gets kinda complex quite quickly!

Yes, I omitted the xG from my post as tbh I didn't fancy having the "xG is nonsense" conversation.

But, as you've brought it up.

He's doing exactly as well as can be expected given the specific amount of work he's being asked to do.

This is largely why I say the defence is helping him be good. That defence is what means he has faced the second lowest post shot xG. That defence is keeping his workload light and low. In my opinion that is allowing him the room to breath. He's facing shots that are easy to save - and he's saving quite a lot of them (74.2% of them in fact).

It's a fair criticism that he's not over-achieving but I think it is harsh to complain that he's doing what he needs to do. He's not doing anything remarkable - but he's not being asked to do anything remarkable.

Essentially, if the keeper is as good as his defence is, and that defence is itself quite good, and he isn't notably letting it down - which the numbers show he isn't - then he's a good enough keeper for that team.

Right?

I think we're both just saying the same thing and nodding agreement at each other aren't we!?

It does a get a bit mind-bending quite quickly but ultimately I'm happy with him being No.1 this season and next, and I don't think we need a new No.1 goalkeeper...the No.2 goalkeeper is a different conversation of course.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Billy said:

83 consecutive games? Wonder what the record is at city for consecutive games played? Anyone know?

If I had to guess I reckon it’d be quite high from the smaller squad / no sub days but would be interested to know!

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think we're both just saying the same thing and nodding agreement at each other aren't we!?

Yeah I think we are mate. How boring for OTIB.

You're a **** - Phew, that's better :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I wish Wyscout did PSxG in the player summary stats I extract, a good measure for a keeper’s shot saving.

image.thumb.png.3b2bdbdb841336e9b861478baa02e1fc.png

The save from Vardy that he tipped around the post was 0.80 PSxG.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wish Wyscout did PSxG in the player summary stats I extract, a good measure for a keeper’s shot saving.

image.thumb.png.3b2bdbdb841336e9b861478baa02e1fc.png

The save from Vardy that he tipped around the post was 0.80 PSxG.

I actually think he’s our most “trade-able” player right now…. I hope we don’t sell him but he’s a very modern type of keeper and wouldn’t be out of place in the top flight… or at least warming a bench there… IMHO 

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Once again a lesson for all those quick to write off that what you see when a player has a bad game isn’t necessarily what you’ll get going forward. These players train full time and there’s every chance they’ll improve.

I guess we should say the same about the Manning too, I’m sure during those dreadful games he wasn’t thinking this is fine, surely he was looking for ways to Improve and this weekend we have.

I’m not saying he the messiah all of a sudden but we’re stuck with him at least until at least Christmas I’d guess, so here’s hoping. 

Look I still think it’s quite early to have a pop at Liam but in the interests of balance referring to him as ‘the Manning’ is a touch OTT too? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MarcusX said:

If I had to guess I reckon it’d be quite high from the smaller squad / no sub days but would be interested to know!

Agreed, I would guess someone like Tom Ritchie or Ray Cashley might hold the consecutive appearances record for City but no idea really.

A couple of years on from them, Rob Newman felt like a permanent fixture in my early days as a City fan.

• Like 1

On 02/04/2024 at 09:08, richwwtk said:

Agreed, I would guess someone like Tom Ritchie or Ray Cashley might hold the consecutive appearances record for City but no idea really.

A couple of years on from them, Rob Newman felt like a permanent fixture in my early days as a City fan.

Cant find anything online about consecutive games for players only for the fan Jerry Tocknell that had reached a thousand. 

On 02/04/2024 at 09:08, richwwtk said:

Rob Newman felt like a permanent fixture in my early days as a City fan.

Helped by the fact that he started when he was still in nappies, and he was so big nobody dared drop him. Plus he could play every single position, sometimes all in the same game...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Helped by the fact that he started when he was still in nappies, and he was so big nobody dared drop him. Plus he could play every single position, sometimes all in the same game...

It's crazy he managed a testimonial with us and still managed a further 10 years as a pro thereafter 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s very good, isn’t he?

Top drawer again today, 3 clean sheets on the spin.

Well done to him.

But, but, but. He's not a top 6 championship keeper or whatever bullshit category people wish to invent.  

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

But, but, but. He's not a top 6 championship keeper or whatever bullshit category people wish to invent.  

Players can evolve and get better. Especially Keepers. At 27 he's getting to his considered peak as a GK. 

• Like 2

Max had been far and away our best player this season, another top performance today,

Amazing that some still don't rate him don't think there are many better keepers in the championship at the moment,

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s very good, isn’t he?

Top drawer again today, 3 clean sheets on the spin.

Well done to him.

Pretty much single handedly (plus feet and his other hand) made us worth the point today.

Also been looking very strong on crosses and balls in of late.

Keep it up Max, good stuff.

• Robin 1

1 minute ago, winsaw said:

Max had been far and away our best player this season, another top performance today,

Amazing that some still don't rate him don't think there are many better keepers in the championship at the moment,

Dickie has been a long way ahead of O'Leary this season.

O'Leary has improved as of late and is currently performing well, but I think that's leading to some revisionist thinking about his less impressive performances earlier in the season.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 01/04/2024 at 21:12, Mendip City said:

I actually think he’s our most “trade-able” player right now…. I hope we don’t sell him but he’s a very modern type of keeper and wouldn’t be out of place in the top flight… or at least warming a bench there… IMHO 

Hopefully the last few games have added an extra 0 to his sale price.

• Admin

We cannot include goalkeeper information, because goalkeeper’s who are typically positioned better than others will consistently have lower PS xG and their GSAA% will be deflated, despite the low PS xG value being a result of their quality positioning.

Could this explain his pretty low PSxG?

I feel like on double saves he often makes them look routine due to having fairly good awareness of his goalmouth?